Helmets (Read 557 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Re: Helmets
Reply #30 - 01/20/11 at 13:49:16

My Vega Summit II modular locks very well - I bought an off brand from Chin and the tabs were broke before it got to me - the Chin $40 the Vega $ 160 get what you pay for. I wear the modular in the summer time and a full face non modular in the cold weather. both are Vega brand...the Vega full face i got from ironponymotorsports closeout $25 delivered BNIB even 2XL even and evil looking even what a deal...DOT approved on both.....

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
james may

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

holyoke, ma
Reply #31 - 01/20/11 at 14:23:49

I've got a vega ff helmet too!  I got it for 50$ ebay auction brand new.. Thought they were a cheap brand cause helmets can run in the 300$ range.  It works though i'm happy with it.  

Oh don't forget to wear your other safety gear guys.. in order of importance: Helmet, Gloves, Boots, long pants or riding pants, long sleeve shirt, riding jacket.  jacket is probably the least important, but it does keep your elbows from getting skinned if your long shirt would have failed. Gloves very imporant for grip throttle control, protection from wind chill and injury to your hands in a crash since their very fragile and the first thing to hit the ground if your falling.

doublecheerypie   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #32 - 01/20/11 at 14:57:26

Every rider has to decide what his head is worth. I see a lot of people who must not think it's worth much.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #33 - 01/20/11 at 14:59:35

MotoBuddha wrote on 01/20/11 at 14:57:26:
Every rider has to decide what his head is worth. I see a lot of people who must not think it's worth much.

they are called organ doners.  Sad

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #34 - 01/22/11 at 09:35:14

Also keep in mind that helmets do have expiration dates. It is good practice to replace helmets every 3-5 years. Most helmets are good for 5 when purchasing a current model year. Watch out for clearance helmets because they have usually been on a shelf for a few years.

Reason for expiration date is the glue and fastening materials degrade over time. Impact protection is reduced as a result.

Safe bet IMHO is anything new over $200 from a major manufacturer is good for cruising. If you are going to do serious spirited riding or track days, invest in a high quality race level helmet.

All helmets might meet the DOT or SNELL standard, but remember, the top of the line helmets far exceed the standards. There are no numbers that I know of that show the difference in testing of meeting or exceeding. Just pass or fail. So there are big differences in cheap approved helmets and the expensive ones.

Final thought and most important: best helmet is the one that fits. If the helmet moves while wearing it, it wont protect you properly. Fit is everything, and higher quality helmets come with replaceable cheek pads of various sizes to ensure best fit and protection.

I wear ARAI and Scorpion and find they fit me well. I have more confidence in the ARAI. SHOEI is also a well respected brand.

Take some time to watch these videos and really listen, great info that could save your life and those riding with you.

Some great videos that explain this topic on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRmWBp65gbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyvpvcs-ixI&feature=related

IP Logged
s40fan
YaBB Newbies

TX
Reply #35 - 01/22/11 at 09:44:31

For a little proof, watch this superbike compilation video and note how many of these guys walk away from their crashes, and how many times their heads bounce off the pavement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1f3l_vUCrY&feature=related

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 06:46:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.