Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Advice/comments? (NBR)
Reply #15 - 01/04/11 at 15:51:49

I have to agree with Boule'tard, redo the house and make it your's. It is a project that should get your juices flowing again. How about getting a dog  or a cat for company. A pet beats the heck out of coming home to a empty house. Healing takes time

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #16 - 01/04/11 at 17:30:58

A lot of very good advice here.  I've been in a similar situation, and it all applies.  I did the change of scenery thing, which was easier in my case because we rented, but like people said, since you're planning on doing some "fixing up" of the house anyway, have some fun with it, make it over to your style.  Get out, do things, meet people.  Gotta confess, the "meet people" thing is kinda hard for me, but that's more due to my work schedule and most of the world being asleep when I'm awake. Grin  But as trite as it sounds, things do get better.  As happy as I thought I was with her, when I look back at the last couple years together, and how happy I am now, I realize just how unhappy I was, and how much better of I am now.  For one thing, I could've never afforded a bike when I was with her, so that's a plus! Cheesy  So while it's not good riding weather right now, maybe work on the house (I know, not exactly a fun "hobby"), so you can have some of it done when the good riding weather rolls around, and then hit the road!

Hope some of that made sense... Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #17 - 01/04/11 at 17:49:38

Perry:
First off my sympathy goes out to you. I can't imagine how low you must feel over this.
Second, this forum has again impressed me on how well it's members respond to a fellow who needs someone to discuss a life wrenching situation.
Third, me 2 cents:
Keep busy on things you need to do and want to do. You love biking so go for it. It is now your life without someone holding you back. Get out and live it the the best you can.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #18 - 01/04/11 at 18:38:46

Perry, big hugs fella. You have been given some great advice from previous posts.
Here is my for what it is worth.
After my first husband decided he wanted out after 24 years, I found that it was then  my chance to find out who exactly I was.
I found out I was more than a daughter, sister, mother, aunt, grandmother and friend to many.
I found my own likes and dislikes. I no longer had to please anyone before pleasing myself.
This is now your time to do the same. Yes it takes time and some days will be easier than others. Yet you can do it and will survive. Many of us have and have gone on to find greater loves and lives.
Do whatever you enjoy when you want and don't feel guilty along the way.
Were all here and all you need to do is turn on the computer and find us.. Best wishes to you and I am waiting to read of your new adventures.. Hugs to you.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #19 - 01/04/11 at 21:35:55

Perry, I do not know you well enough to give advice. I am a man. Men want to fix you and move on. (Not a bad thing, but pretty rough.) Notice the women repeat your problems and actually feel your pain. No offense to the men, because they have given some great ideas. They just didn't get to know you first. Us men just think we are mostly alike and our idea will work for you because it worked for us or someone we know. I am Type II Bi-polar and have been a support group facilitator. You will suffer some of the same symptoms and disorder of the mentally ill. My advice is to hang tough and get some professional outside help. This can usually had for free on a weekly basis in a support group. We are here for you. The fact that you asked is GREAT. You want to go on and figure this out. Keep asking and choose carefully from our "fixes". When you get a backlash in a fishing reel, you start picking around the edges. You can't dive into the middle, but, rather you slowly work from the edges to the inside. The huge problem you start with slowly begins to get smaller. One thing that is very effective in support groups where we know the person on a personal basis is much like dignosing an engine problem. We make a list with pen and paper of what might help you. 10-20 things. Then pick out the ones that actually seem doable at this time. Move slowly. You are grieving. Success will come. You are grieving VERY much like one who has lost someone to death. The very least time to get better from that is about a year for most. Suzuki guys and girls, I hope you see what I mean. No disrespect. You have great ideas, but we can't fix Perry--we can be here for him. Our ideas give him a broad range of solutions. He just has to pick some and try them, but eye to eye contact with someone who can be there for him would be great if he can arrange it. Perry, get on the net and type in support groups for your area. It is amazing to see people change in as little as two sessions...not by talking, but just listening to others with the same problems. I don't know it all, but I am speaking from experience in helping those who hurt. And it does hurt. You have a big problem, but there is even bigger help out there. You have started right. You don't blame, you're not trying to be right or get even. You have the right attitude. You can do it.  Boofer    

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #20 - 01/05/11 at 03:54:50

Perry, Just went back first thing today and read other's comments with less physical pain than I had last night. I was too hard on the guys, but I think you all understand. Skills for fixing life problems are like fixing mechanical problems. You start with what you have and build on it. I still say list what you think is doable from the Forum list and your own. People who think no one cares these days should read these replies.  Boofer  
l

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 01/05/11 at 05:46:41

I don't think Boofer was hard on anyone.  We all know that there will be many suggestions... that's the point!  I personally think "therapy" only works if the person believes in it.  I have seen it work for others, but don't really believe in it for me, so I never tried it.  This place is about as close as I get to therapy. LOL   Perry, you have to figure out what works for you.  Ideas are just a place to start.  Maybe someone will bring up something you hadn't thought of.  Maybe you can try something new.  Something you've maybe wanted to do but the ex didn't like, or wouldn't do with you.  That's a possible way to meet someone that you wouldn't otherwise have had the chance to meet.  

Personally, I loved going to Lowe's when I was single.   Wink  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #22 - 01/05/11 at 06:26:18

It seems like everyone has some advice and the truth is, Perry (or whoever) needs to think about it and decide what is going to work best for them.  My advice is to take care of yourself, put yourself in the best position to deal with whatever comes and always conduct yourself in the best manner possible, you never have to apologize for doing the right thing.

I am thankful for a couple of things in this post, one that Perry has opened up and sought help.  That is always the first and usually the hardest step.  So good for you, Perry!  Also, I’m thankful for all the replies and input that others have.  Some have been through very similar situations and can offer advice as a veteran, others have observations and still others can simply cheer from the sidelines.  So good for you, those that responded.

Hang in there Perry.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 01/05/11 at 07:41:13

Perry,
  Sorry for the loneliness.  I didn't get married till I was 34.  I worked off-shift for many years and that sort makes dating hard.  I had many lonely Christmas mornings.   But, always went to "family" at Holidays.    Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles,  etc etc.....  

There is some good advice about redecorating the house.  Make a nice "man-cave" in there somewhere.  Only advice I would give is keep your daughters rooms untouched.  (I thought you were the one that had an adopted child too??????)  Maybe throw a twin bed in there but that's it.   It sort of keeps it theirs.

Does the daughter know the whole story?  If not, I would suggest that you have someone else tell her.   Coming from you might get the story twisted in her mind.

As for your social life......  Join a local club.  Maybe one of the service clubs like the "Lions" or some other volunteering organization.  Or, maybe a motorcycle club.

Good Luck,

T Mack.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #24 - 01/05/11 at 08:08:09

Again, I can't thank you all enough for your kind words ... re-affirms what I've always felt about the people here at suzukisavage.com ... the very BEST folk I've ever had the pleasure of being associated with!

Yes T Mack I do have a semi-adopted daughter as well ... originally from Bangkok, age 21 and she moved out to attend college a couple of years ago ... still in contact a couple of times a year. As you suggested, Daughter #1 (natural daughter) room will be staying as-is ... who knows when she may want it again?!

I really haven't charted a course yet ... as I mentioned in an previous post, I am still just dealing with my life's upheaval on a day-to-day basis. I know that eventually I will have to think beyond tomorrow though ... I don't think that I am ready yet to wade into the "dating pool" ... I was never a "serial dater" even when I was a young fellow, instead preferring the occassional steady G.F. ... so I guess I am kinda unprepared for the dating scene after being in a committed relationship for the past 25 years? One potential area that I see for offering opportunity for reacing out socially might be my part-time gig as a Motorcycle Training Program Instructor, which is scheduled to start up again come the end of April ... every weekend 'til Sept. there will be a fresh bacth of students ... all sharing a common interest of mine!

Someone mentioned earlier that I am still in a "grieving" process ... interesting way of looking at what I am experiencing ... it was only the other day that a co-worker said to me that in some ways what I am experiencing might have been easier for me had my wife suddenly died in an accident or something. At first I was shocked to hear him say that (I would NEVER wish that that had happened instead ...), but upon reflection, maybe he has a point ... this is something like a sudden death, only less final?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 01/05/11 at 09:29:08

Perry,
I am glad for you that you are able to open up about such a painful experience.  I am surprised at the number of similar stories out there, I too went there and have the T shirt..........

Yes, it is a grieving process, and an actual death might be easier to deal with because this was a selfish, concsious choice on her part to break up your family.  Time does help, I read that it takes 1 month/year of relationship to get over a breakup, your mileage may vary.  I learned a lot about myself and did some growing also.  I think the best thing I got out of it was an improved relationship with my kids.  My daughter wrote me a letter saying I was a good dad before but was a better dad after.   That doesn't make it all better, but it was something positive out of it.  Focus on improving your relationship with your daughters, they know you and even though they are older, they still need the stability that only you can provide, since your ex only seems to be concerned with herself.

You may never get closure from her, I know I beat myself up a lot because of the things i did or did not do, I was not the perfect spouse, but neither was she.  We did the best we knew how to.  Ultimately, love is a choice and she chose not to.  

Take what you learn from this and you can become a better man.
It is good to do things for yourself, but doing things for others is far more rewarding.  Try some volunteer work, I got more active in Church and my kids.

Stay strong, we are here for you.

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #26 - 01/05/11 at 09:47:22

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/05/11 at 07:41:13:
Does the daughter know the whole story?  If not, I would suggest that you have someone else tell her.   Coming from you might get the story twisted in her mind.

I have to respectfully say that I dont agree with this part.  You dont "owe" your daughter an explanation.  What happened was between you and your wife, and it should stay there.  I've been through that with my husbands ex wife.  She went on and on to the kids about things they had no business knowing, tried to paint a bad picture of their dad, etc.  We took the high road and chose not to discuss it with them.  Years later now the "kids" look back and realize that all their mom was doing was trying to win them over to her side and that says alot more about their mom than it ever did about their dad.  Im not saying that you should refuse to discuss it with her, I just mean that I dont see anything to be gained from giving her details.  Then she will feel like she has to choose sides, and thats no place for a daughter to be.

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #27 - 01/05/11 at 10:32:54

I guess I'll check in late -- you have my sympathy, Perry.

There's not a lot to be said that hasn't already, so keep your head held high, take some time to grieve and to heal, and take solace that sometimes the relationship dies before one of the participants.

Be strong, and you will come out of this in decent shape.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 01/05/11 at 11:21:28

I am afraid I have to disagree somewhat with Angie on this point.

You should talk with your daughters, don't bash their mom, let them know that she made a decision, it is ok to be angry about how it affected everybody else, but is OK to forgive her and continue to love her.  You don't have to go into sordid details or be ugly about it.  They girls were old enough to know how things really were in the house, my ex tried to tell my kids I was abusive, but they knew better even though they ranged from 6 to 11.  They will probably appreciate the honesty and feel relieved that you don't expect them to take sides, but instead to have a relationship with their mom.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #29 - 01/05/11 at 11:35:43

That part all depends on the child, I think.  Age, maturity, involvement, and how they will handle it come into play.  Tell them only what you think they can handle.  AND how the other half is going to talk to them about it too, is a factor.  Everyone has the right to defend themselves if someone else is trashing them.  DO WHAT'S BEST FOR THE CHILD.  No matter how hard.  My current husband will occasionally say something bad about his ex to their kids.  As much as I despise that wicked b!tch, I still caution him to not do that.  The kids are older now, and understand, and know how she is anyway, but its still not good.  I don't think Perry is in that boat, luckily.    

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 18:13:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Advice/comments? (NBR)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.