Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle? (Read 419 times)
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Re: Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle?
Reply #45 - 12/28/10 at 17:52:22

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/28/10 at 10:10:26:
WM -

I've spent quite a bit of time in Europe as well, and know full well about the German attitudes.  But then, if we had the equivalent of their autobahn system with many sections having no speed limit at all, if makes more sense to be hyper-sensitive about it.

I wouldn't think of getting on an autobahn where cruising speeds exceed 100 mph even after two drinks.  Reaction times have to be sharp to be safe when going that fast or faster.  I do love to be there in a rented Mercedes cruising at 120 mph.

But here in the U.S., where in most areas the upper limit is 65 or 70 mph, it's a different story.  

If you have spent time in Germany you should know that one German beer is equel to a six pack of bud or coors or any excuse for beer in this country,just maidens water.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
royblueboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 12/28/10 at 20:46:00

I believe that vick has paid his dues.

2005 650 pearl,memphis windshield.vic 100 muffler
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #47 - 12/29/10 at 05:40:00

Mick -

You're right on.  That's why I'm not a beer drinker.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 12/29/10 at 05:52:55

There is an editorial in our local paper about the fact that sentencing a juvenile to life with no parole is the same as a death sentence, which you can't sentence a juvenile to death. It's going to bring up an interesting debate over the next couple years.

Thumper; you're tough on people! Banned for life!

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #49 - 12/29/10 at 06:13:26

WM -

I wish I were more of a pyschologist, but I'm not.  I have seen juvenile offenders who are hardened beyond belief, and who have no normal senses of values or respect for others' life, property, or anything else.  These youth live in their own world, and it's not a happy or productive place.  They will kill someone just to get his jacket, bicycle, or even his basketball.

On Monday, we had a car jacking here in Dublin, Ohio, an affluent suburb of Columbus.  Yoiu can quickly and correctly presume who the bad guys were - a pair of 17 year old ghetto kids who kidnapped a couple from a shopping mall as they were about to get into their Lexus SUV.  They made them drive to a wooded area several miles away.  The bad guys got out first, and the husband saw a brief opportunity to escape - so he floored the gas pedal.

One kid shot thru the rear window, hitting the wife in the head, killing her instantly.  The shot was taken after the SUV had begun to speed away, so the shooter knew that he was only killing someone for getting away.  What do we do with such a kid?

There is no doubt in my mind that prison probably only makes these offenders into worse persons, not better.

Yet, what do you do with a 17 year old kid who has eyes of steel, and who will look at you with a blank stare?

So what do we do with them?  We can't spend inordinate amounts trying pyschological treament on a one-on-one basis - we would have to hire as many shrinks as there are inmates.

I do believe that there are a few people who are no more than rabid animals, who need to be dealt with accordingly - locked up forever.

While at the same time there are those who present little to no threat of repeating their criminal conduct and don't need to stay in jail until they are elderly.

The problem is identifying the two groups, and then, politically, having the guts to act accordingly, and deal with them differently.  Not an esay task.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 12/29/10 at 07:26:31

Jerry;
I have no idea what to do. (I'd say pray, but Mick will jump all over that....!)

Last night, I met some people I worked with 10 years ago. One woman who worked for me, her son was just sentenced to 14 years. She didn't go into specifics. He'll be 33 when he gets out. What's he going to do then? She said he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. True? I don't know. She is divorced and raised two kids mostly by herself. Went to night school, got business degree and is close to finishing her Masters. Would having a decent father around all those years changed things for that kid in a way having only a mother around could not? Yes, I think more than anything else, two parents are the single biggest benefit to a child's success. That's not exactly man bites dog news however.........

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #51 - 12/29/10 at 07:53:07

WM -

I agree wholeheartedly about the parenting issue.

The high divorce rate, which leads to kids being raised, usually, by a single mom spells trouble ahead for many of them.

I used to do a lot of domestic law practice - I did my best to get couples to reconcile, but most of the time, they were just too hung up with their own selfish wants and egos to care enough about the kids they brought into the world.

Single parent households typically ( not always) are not very well off financially, so the kids suffer materially.  Then if mom does go back to school, etc. like your friend did, she has even less time to be with the kids.  Then, in their own minds, you'd be surprised how many kids wonder if they were the reason for the breakup of the family, leading to even less self esteem on the part of the kids.

The effects go on and on.

I firmly believe, in the absence of physical abuse, and maybe a couple of other similar reasons, that a couple with children should just suck it up and stay together until the kids are out of school, even if it means just being civil to each other and nothing more.  But selfishness gets in the way of what's really important in life.

I'd like to know how many kids in juvenile trouble with the law, or in jail, came from two parent households - my bet is very few - some, but very few.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 12/29/10 at 08:03:59

From a book I read:

"Of all single mothers in America, only 6.5 percent of them are widows, 37.8 percent are divorced, and 41.3 percent gave birth out of wedlock. The 6.5 percent of single mothers whose husbands have died shouldn't be called 'single mothers' at all. We already have a word for them: 'widows.' Their children do just fine compared with the children of married parents." -- P.35

"Here is the lottery ticket that single mothers are handing their innocent children by choosing to raise them without fathers: Controlling for socioeconomic status, race, and place of residence, the strongest predictor of whether a person will end up in prison is that he was raised by a single parent. By 1996, 70 percent of inmates in state juvenile detention centers serving long-term sentences were raised by single mothers. Seventy-two percent of juvenile murderers and 60 percent of rapists come from single-mother homes. Seventy percent of teenage births, dropouts, suicides, runaways, juvenile delinquents, and child murderers involve children raised by single mothers. Girls raised without fathers are more sexually promiscuous and more likely to end up divorced. A 1990 study by the Progressive Policy Institute showed that after controlling for single motherhood, the difference between black and white crime rates disappeared.

Various studies have come up with slightly different numbers, but all the figures are grim. According to the Index of Leading Cultural Indicators, children from single-parent families account for 63 percent of all youth suicides, 70 percent of all teenage pregnancies, 71 percent of all adolescent chemical/substance abuse, 80 percent of all prison inmates, and 90 percent of all homeless and runaway children.

A study cited in the Village Voice produced similar numbers. It found that children brought up in single-mother homes 'are five times more likely to commit suicide, nine times more likely to drop out of high school, 10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances, 14 times more likely to commit rape (for the boys), 20 times more likely to end up in prison, and 32 times more likely to run away from home.' Single motherhood is like a farm team for future criminals and social outcasts.

....Many of these studies, for example, are from the 1990s, when the percentage of teenagers raised by single parents was lower than it is today. In 1990, 28 percent of children under eighteen were being raised in one-parent homes (mother or father), and 71 percent were being raised in two-parent homes. By 2005, more than one-third of all babies born in the United States were illegitimate. That's a lot of social problems coming.

...Imagine an America with 70 percent fewer juvenile delinquents, 70 percent fewer teenage births, 63 to 70 percent fewer teenage suicides, and 70 percent to 90 percent fewer runaways and you will appreciate what the sainted single mothers have accomplished." -- P.37-38

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #53 - 12/29/10 at 08:45:09

WM -

Your post revealed numbers that I had assumed were the case before I read the proof.

Single mothers aren't necessarily all to blame - let's not forget the fathers who skirt their responsibility by leaving the family, or having the illegitimate child.

In my former law firm, we have a very attractive young female lawyer who was raised by her father.  Her mother deserted the family because she was young herself when she had her two children, decided that she had missed a lot of "fun" that most people have in their 20s, and just left her two kids for the husband to raise.  She stayed in the same city, but did not communicate one bit with her children for NINE years.

The young lawyer was married, but continually had affairs.  Her husband was another lawyer, whom she had met in law school, and who was from a stellar family, and sure seemed like a first rate guy.  Yet, out of a need to be loved, she falsely thought that she could satisfy that need by sleeping around.  She finally left our firm, divorced her husband, and left the state.  Her mother's actions probably destroyed what oterwise would have been a fine person.  The young lawyer constantly thought, and said to me, that her mother deserted her and her brother, not just left her unhappy marriage, and if she and the brother hadn't been born so soon, that mother could have stuck out the marriage but just couldn't deal with having kids whe nshe was so young herself.

Waht a way for a mother to screw up her child's brain.  How can anyone be so selfish?

In the same firm, we had a single black woman who was a secretary.  I wouldn't call her overly attractive, but she was fairly nice looking, classy, and well dressed and fairly smart.  One week it became obvious that she was pregnant.  In talking to her, she told me the father was a nice guy who was employed in the computer industry, whom she had been dating for a few weeks, but she had no desire to be married to him, as she wasn't in love with him.  When I asked her why she allowed herself to become pregnant, she told me that it was time for her to have a baby - she was in her late 20s, and didn't want to miss the chance to be a mother - that the father was smart and nice looking, so she thought he had the right makeup to be the father of her child.

That's what a good part of what our society is dealing with.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #54 - 12/29/10 at 09:05:37

Heard on the news the other day, teenage preg's are down.

WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #55 - 12/29/10 at 09:08:18

I either thought of this myself or heard / read someone say if young black women would stop giving it up to 'players', it would force young black men to change their behavior (either consciously or subconsciously).  

I know for a fact I read a long essay a few years ago whose premise was the sexual revolution changed society because men were now able to get it and get it from the most desirable women by being hip and cool as opposed to being selected by women on the basis they were the most likely to be stable and able to provide for a family. Makes us sound an awful like animals, but I believe this premise is mostly true.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #56 - 12/29/10 at 09:09:20

Ver; i heard that too, but didn't read the whole article.
is it the sheer number that's down or the %?

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #57 - 12/29/10 at 09:14:04

Vers -

If they are, that's good news.

But teenagers aren't the only ones raising kids alone.

One of the reasons I gave up on doing a domestic practice is that I can't be a part of a team responsible for destroying familes.  Where is there any satisfaction in doing that?

Until more of us decide that we have a higher responsibility to others, especially to children we happen to spawn than we do to our own selfish wants, and carry out that responsibility by staying married to the other parent, things won't change much.  I'm not optomistic, though that that will happen.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #58 - 12/29/10 at 09:30:00

WM -

When I was in college in the 1960s, I had one sociology course in which we discussed the high rate of single parenting among the black community.

Of course, this was only 100 years after the end of slavery, so say what, maybe 3 or 4 generations?

The author of one of the texts we used in the course theorized that the high single mother % of black women had been caused by the practice in the days of slavery of selling women with children, while at the same time selling male slaves apart from their wives and kids.  Much like the breeders of livestock still do today with horses - selling mares with a foal at side.

This sounded reasonable at the time - during the slave days, black families' ties to each other in the south were very tenuous at best, with the males always being sold more often to buyers who took them away.

Hence, this author's premise was that black folks simply got used to single motherhood as a normal way of life.

Could be true, but I don't put much credence in the theory, especially today, 135 years after the end of slavery, and at least another generation of two has come and gone since the book was written.

But of course we also know stellar black families who are as, if not more, devoted to each other than anyone else - so I don't think you can lump a class of people all together like this author did.

Rather than accepting this author's theory, I think it has far more to do with economics and the higher poverty rate in the black community.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #59 - 12/29/10 at 10:34:07

Slavery might be over and done with ,but in my life time ,in the south
blacks had to sit in the back of the bus , and had their own restrooms.
the KKK was alive and well and hanging young black guys who maybe glanced at a pretty white girl.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:18:38

General CategoryThe Cafe › Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.