Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle? (Read 419 times)
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle?
Reply #30 - 12/28/10 at 07:25:51

Home confinement would have to be in cases where the probability of home stability was very high. However, that would lead to charges of preferential treatment.  But if this police officer owns a home and/or is married with a high probability of always having a stable living arrangement, does it make fiscal sense as well as satisfying a sense of judgment to confine her via tracking device for the next 20 years?

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #31 - 12/28/10 at 07:36:40

WM -

Probably makes fiscal sense.

But I need to know a lot more to support any kind of 20 year sentence for an accident resulting in death.

How high was her BAC level?  A repeat offender or first timer?  Age?

I don't use the term "drunk driving" to describe a simple DUI violation of an arbitrary .08% limit.  While one's reactions are a bit diminished at .08, it's far from "drunk".  So how high was this person's BAC?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 12/28/10 at 08:18:53

A blood sample taken 45 minutes after the crash showed her blood alcohol content at .229. Three hours later, she tested at 0.169. Off-duty, drinking at a bar a couple blocks from police station. Drove wrong way and had head on collision with 5 students/workers all in their 20's  from India. 4 died, 1 critical. she was near death herself and is possibly permanently disabled.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #33 - 12/28/10 at 08:40:59

OK. 0.229% IS drunk, no question about that.

So, given her condition (let's assume permanent disability ), what's the appropriate penalty?  Certainly a tragedy for all concerned, including the woman driving.

I certainly don't feel that 20 years in the slammer is apropriate, given the fact that everyday she'll feel the permanent effects herself from her misdeed.

Glad I don't have to make the call on this one - jailing an already disabled person doesn't do much to prevent a repeat, does it?  Yet, you can't let her go scott free.

As an aside, this is the sort of BAC level that we need to be concerned about; not .08%.  Once a person gets in the range of .17% or higher, then this sort of "wrong way up the freeway", or other serious deviations happen.

But at .08 it doesn't.  At .08, you might take a turn a little tight and have your front tire brush the center line with no oncoming traffic in sight (the cop's delight - gotcha even though you haven't done anything dangerous), but that's about it.

I've advocated for years that we return to a limit of .15%, like is was for decades before the MADD women became so powerful, then lay the hammer down on those violators.  But leave the guy alone who had a couple of beers after work.

.08% is no more impaired than a person whose concentration is diverted by using a cell phone, or whose reactions have simply diminished as he has aged beyond about 75 for a normal person.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 12/28/10 at 09:30:49

I agree we're getting carried away a bit with DUI. full disclosure: i'm not innocent in this regard.....

I worked for a company with HQ in Europe. When visiting over there, they had no problem throwing a few back after work, but they were hyper-sensitive to driving afterwards. the fines and jail time if caught are massive. I remember I drove back to hotel after two beers and the two people I was with were astonished I would even think of that. I tried to tell them two beers was like driving in the morning before coffee or after a baby kept me up half the night.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #35 - 12/28/10 at 09:38:03

If the old guy ever does get out,... I hope he doesn't find a new girlfriend...
That could be dangerous... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #36 - 12/28/10 at 10:10:26

WM -

I've spent quite a bit of time in Europe as well, and know full well about the German attitudes.  But then, if we had the equivalent of their autobahn system with many sections having no speed limit at all, if makes more sense to be hyper-sensitive about it.

I wouldn't think of getting on an autobahn where cruising speeds exceed 100 mph even after two drinks.  Reaction times have to be sharp to be safe when going that fast or faster.  I do love to be there in a rented Mercedes cruising at 120 mph.

But here in the U.S., where in most areas the upper limit is 65 or 70 mph, it's a different story.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 12/28/10 at 11:20:27

This was a rambling reading of how statistics are used against minority groups.

The highlighted quote is an absolute lie.  But the report is written w/o any clear objective and many contradictions.  You have to skip to table 22 just to find a hint at the crash causes, 35% of the time cars fail to yield to m/c's vs. 4% m/c's to cars.  I believe the limited scope of the report negates it's validity.  The only thing I could say about this report is 3/4 of the riders that are killed are stupid.

And all of the noise off people are stupid for thinking that because 45% of 2.5% are riders with modified exhausts have excessive noise.  And everyone of them is in violation of the law.  If they have their way the only muffler that you can use will be stock, regardless if it just as quiet or not.

http://www.noiseoff.org/motorcycles.php

Quote:
In their 2007 published report, 'Fatal Two-Vehicle Motorcycle Crashes' (DOT HS 810 834), motorcyclists were found to be overwhelmingly responsible for causing accidents with passenger vehicles. In nearly three-fourths of the two-vehicle motorcycle crashes involving passenger vehicles, the role of the motorcycle was recorded as the striking vehicle. Additionally, factors including alcohol impairment, invalid license, and speeding were more attributed to motorcycle riders.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pubs/810834.pdf

Quote:
In 2005, motorcycles made up 2.5 percent of all registered vehicles in the United States and accounted for only 0.4 percent of all vehicle miles traveled (VMT).

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 12/28/10 at 12:07:56

babyhog wrote on 12/28/10 at 06:38:08:
Ok, I understand the disbarrment, but it still seems they could have used his expertise in a beneficial manner... somehow.

His sentence was 20 to life?  And he's already served 20?  Got to a parole hearing.  But its a hearing, not an automatic release.  Somehow a group of people determined it was better for him to stay in.  Just as a group decided that he should be incarcerated for 20 to life.  That's the system.  Yes, I think there should be a happy medium.  But what about setting him free?  He's been in jail for a long time, he's over 60, what would he do?  Would the State still have to assist him?  Still costing money?  

Geez, I'm contradicting myself in my ramblings.  Guess that means I'm a bit torn.  My first thought was let the poor old fella out, let him re-start his life.  But I guess that's just my sympathy talking.  

His expertise was killing someone

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #39 - 12/28/10 at 12:20:52

Verslagen -

I can't take time this afternoon to reda the reports.  One thing that does amaze me is the number of bikes I see parked outside of bars.

While I'll drive after a drink or two, I won't ride after even one.

Ridng is like flying and driving very fast - all require sharp reactions and a steady head to make snap decisions, and to most importantly stay ahead of the bike, plane, or car.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 12/28/10 at 12:37:06

I've been so drunk I couldn't walk good, but could drive a motorcycle or snowmobile.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #41 - 12/28/10 at 12:41:07

babyhog wrote on 12/28/10 at 05:17:08:
Good example JOG, and look at Martha Stewart, Pete Rose.... just 2 who popped into my head.  I think Vick will rebound too.  

Pete Rose, wow what a blast from the past. If I remember, George Steinbrenner got convicted/or at least nailed for the same thing and was barred from running the NY Yankees? Yeah, pete could no longer be employed in baseball, and george was back running things in a very short time.

Can people change? Do people feel remorse after committing a violent act/crime? Of course some people do. The hard part is determining who those people are. A job for the parole board.

There are expungement statutes here in NJ, and a bill passed earlier this year made it easier for those convicted of certain crimes to petition the court to have their records sealed off. It used to be a 10 year wait, and no drug convictions could be expunged. It's now a 5 year wait and some drug charges can now be expunged. People can get a felony conviction expunged and put down "no" when asked if they were ever convicted of a felony, when applying for truck/livery driver certifications, and jobs like nurses, lawyers etc. There are exceptions like applying for a job in law enforcement. So, the conviction is never really destroyed from the files, just kind of hidden.

FSO
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #42 - 12/28/10 at 12:44:03

bill67 wrote on 12/28/10 at 12:37:06:
I've been so drunk I couldn't walk good, but could drive a motorcycle or snowmobile.

Drive a motorcycle or snowmobile into what? Eh eh eh. Just kiddin with ya William. I have cabin fever from being snowbound.

FSO
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #43 - 12/28/10 at 15:48:56

back to this original posting: (with side bar)

the nfl should of banned vick from ever playin again...
sidebar
the  nba should of banned rodman from ever playin again after he kicked the photo guy
jmo

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #44 - 12/28/10 at 16:56:39

Just saw part of a story about Squeaky Fromme on Entertainment Tonight.  Not sure what it was all about, but they mentioned that she was released from prison last year after serving 34 years of a LIFE sentence.  So why was it ok to let her out early?  (She was serving life for attempting to assassinate President Ford)

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:08:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.