Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle? (Read 419 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle?
Reply #15 - 12/28/10 at 05:28:27

So do you think that the person's popularity determines the outcome more than the crime itself?  Seems to me to be so.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #16 - 12/28/10 at 05:36:59

I don't know about the outcome and the eventual sentence.  The first OJ trial sure went the other way.

But most prosecutors ( I say most, certainly not all ) have political ambitions beyond simply working thier entire lives in a courtroom.

Positive publicity is one of the keys to success for any politician, and getting name recognition in the process.

How better to do that then taking down a person of wealth and prominence, with whom most common folk don't sympathize to start with, to make the prosecutor look like the champion of the common person, and getting all of the publicity?

I bet none of us can immediately recall who the prosecutor was who went after real criminals like the D.C. sniper, or even Timothy McVeigh.  But we sure remember Eliot Spitzer's name, don't we?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 12/28/10 at 05:44:44

Popularity and a good lawyer go a long way to saving your butt (Lindsey Lohan) On the other hand, popular opinion, an overzealous prosecutor can work against you, (Scooter Libby, Conrad Black).

Jerry; regarding your friend, as a gun owner, I have no problem with someone having a loaded pistol in the house, but when he came home and caught them, did he have the gun with him? Did he usually carry it? Did he usually keep his gun in the nightstand? Could he have suspected something was going on and hatred was building in him so he started carrying his gun?  You’re a lawyer so you know facts like this make a difference.

Having said all of that, if I caught someone abusing my daughter and my gun was downstairs where it is now, I could see myself going down the steps, getting it, loading it and coming back upstairs and blowing someone’s brains out. It would take me maybe 60 – 90 seconds to do all that. In that time, would a reasonable person expect me to stop and consider what I was doing? If I were on that jury, I’m not sure I could convict a guy who did that.  If I were on a parole board, I’m not sure I could keep a guy in jail for doing that.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 12/28/10 at 05:59:07

"...with whom most common folk don't sympathize to start with..."

Lindsey Lohan may have had sympathy to begin with, but I have certainly lost any sympanthy for her.  OJ may have had fans, but that crime was just so brutal!  Then all the media attention, I think OJ made it easy for fans to turn on him.  He didn't help himself, IMO.  What about Mike Tyson?  I don't think he ever won his fan base back.  He never "redeemed" himself (again, IMO.)  Not sure Lohan can ever redeem herself.  Brittany Spears is trying to rise again.  I don't know much about Spitzer, but I think he admitted his involvement with the prostitution stuff, right?  Admission of guilt and sincere repentence goes a long way...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #19 - 12/28/10 at 06:04:07

WM -

This discussion can take many turns and twists.

I agree with all you said.  Maybe I was taking a simpler approach.  Incarceration of anyone is a real financial burden to the state.  There is starting to be some intelligent writing among criminal authorities about the need to keep older prisoners locked up.

Maybe I'm an old softy at heart, but I question whether a 64 year old man who committed a crime of passion 20 year earlier is any kind of threat to society.  Is it worth the high cost to keep such a person in jail just for retribution's sake alone?

There was a show on of the cable channels not long ago about prisoners in one state who are in their 70s and even 80s.  Just their health care costs alone are mind boggling.  If you saw one of these old guys on the street, you would think he was someone's grandpa.

I have a friend who used to run a company that provided dental clinics in our Ohio prisons.  Most prisoners are people who never had the best dental care to start with, and just the most basic care, like doing extractions, fillings, etc.; certainly nothing exotic like impants or cosmetic dentistry; is very expensive for the state.

I am coming to the belief that there is a time when many prisoners can be let out as they age, as their ability or propensity to do harm to others diminishes to nearly zero.

Now there are exceptions, and Charles Manson comes to mind as one of those.  He is so evil that he needs to stay behind bars until he dies.  But he is far from the average older prisoner who, sometime in the distant past, committed a crime that isn't likely to be repeated.

And, as the population ages in general with the baby boomker generation getting older by the day, the % of older prisoners is rising fairly dramatically.

The U.S. already incarcerates a higher % of its population that most other developed countries.  Has it solved anything?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 12/28/10 at 06:09:03

WebsterMark wrote on 12/28/10 at 05:44:44:
Popularity and a good lawyer go a long way to saving your butt (Lindsey Lohan) On the other hand, popular opinion, an overzealous prosecutor can work against you, (Scooter Libby, Conrad Black).

Jerry; regarding your friend, as a gun owner, I have no problem with someone having a loaded pistol in the house, but when he came home and caught them, did he have the gun with him? Did he usually carry it? Did he usually keep his gun in the nightstand? Could he have suspected something was going on and hatred was building in him so he started carrying his gun?  You’re a lawyer so you know facts like this make a difference.

Having said all of that, if I caught someone abusing my daughter and my gun was downstairs where it is now, I could see myself going down the steps, getting it, loading it and coming back upstairs and blowing someone’s brains out. It would take me maybe 60 – 90 seconds to do all that. In that time, would a reasonable person expect me to stop and consider what I was doing? If I were on that jury, I’m not sure I could convict a guy who did that.  If I were on a parole board, I’m not sure I could keep a guy in jail for doing that.

You're talking about if your daughter was abused,But if she was have sex with him because she liked him ,You would have no right to shoot him.You can also shoot some one in the leg you don't have to kill them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 12/28/10 at 06:09:48

Jerry, I agree with all that.  If this guy was a prosecutor, then he obviously had some intelligence.  Why couldn't part of his sentence be to provide legal services to the less fortunate?  Something "useful" to society instead of costing society a small fortune?  

But still, they must have had a reason for not letting that particular guy out.  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 12/28/10 at 06:13:44

Babyhog he was and outright killer,They do kill again and rapist rape again.If it was your sister that got killed you would think about it different.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #23 - 12/28/10 at 06:20:08

bill67 wrote on 12/28/10 at 06:13:44:
Babyhog he was and outright killer,They do kill again and rapist rape again.If it was your sister that got killed you would think about it different.

I don't know bill.  If it were my sister, then I would probably know the man and I might be able to answer that.  But I am no so naive to say "once a killer, always a killer" after a crime of passion.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #24 - 12/28/10 at 06:21:02

BH -

As for this guy's providing legal services, of course, he was officially disbarred shortly after his conviction.  He may be a "jailhouse lawyer" for some of the other inmates, but he'll never practice law again on the outside, or appear in a courtroom for someone else.  He can give advice to other cons on the inside, but that's all he can do.

Again, I'm ignorant of the salient facts since his incarceration, but my guess is that he was denied parole at the first hearing purely because he hadn't "served enough time" yet for killing someone, regardless of why, or whether he is a threat to repeat.

Many judges are against mandatory sentencing laws, and most judges in states that have the "three strikes and you're out" laws on the books detest those laws.  But it's politically popular for legislators to pass those laws and then tell the public how they are so law and order oriented.

I certainly am not advocating throwing open the jailhouse doors; but somehow there is a happy medium, isn't there?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 12/28/10 at 06:24:18

O J had the right to kill because it was a crime of passion.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 12/28/10 at 06:30:37

Lots of turns and twist for sure! Good thing it's a slow week for me!

If I recall, Manson never physically killed anyone. How dangerous could he be on the street if he were loose today? Every cop on the block would know where he is 24/7.

If the standard for release is cost to the state, wow, what a can of worms that is….What do you do with a prisoner who has no medical insurance, no means of support etc.. but has poor health? Let them go on our wonderful state run Medicare/medicade? (Maybe Obamacare has a special loophole written in the bill we've not see yet….)

I would bet we start to see more home confinement using tracking devices. If I had a choice between prison and being confined inside my house for 5 years, of course I'm going to take my house.
hmm...what effect would that have on society if we started confining inmates to their homes / apartments? How would you put that into effect? I have a house so it would be easy to confine me. What would you do about someone in an apartment? What about someone who couldn't afford to pay for housing? Lot of questions….?

We have an area police officer who killed 4 students from India in a terrible drunk driving accident. What is the cost to taxpayers to put her in prison for the next 40 years? What would the cost be to confine her to home? Should she be at home after killing for kids?...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #27 - 12/28/10 at 06:38:08

Ok, I understand the disbarrment, but it still seems they could have used his expertise in a beneficial manner... somehow.

His sentence was 20 to life?  And he's already served 20?  Got to a parole hearing.  But its a hearing, not an automatic release.  Somehow a group of people determined it was better for him to stay in.  Just as a group decided that he should be incarcerated for 20 to life.  That's the system.  Yes, I think there should be a happy medium.  But what about setting him free?  He's been in jail for a long time, he's over 60, what would he do?  Would the State still have to assist him?  Still costing money?  

Geez, I'm contradicting myself in my ramblings.  Guess that means I'm a bit torn.  My first thought was let the poor old fella out, let him re-start his life.  But I guess that's just my sympathy talking.  

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 12/28/10 at 06:38:19

Accidental killing is different.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #29 - 12/28/10 at 06:52:44

WH -

Home confinement works for very short term sentences.  But if you really confine one to his home, 24/7, for very long, he won't have a home in which to confine him, since he can't work (remember, 24/7 confinement, like in jail) from home except in very limited circumstances and occupations.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:29:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Does Michael Vick ride a motorcycle?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.