Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
2-piston caliper upgrade? (Read 1060 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: 2-piston caliper upgrade?
Reply #45 - 03/02/11 at 17:43:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/02/11 at 16:52:03:
MB, subtitles may not be your greatest verchew..

dang auto spell checker...  Roll Eyes

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 03/02/11 at 17:48:08

MotoBuddha wrote on 03/02/11 at 16:03:13:
Will you be reusing the spacers? (hint hint)

Yes, I think I've even used one as a drill stop.
Almost more to ship than to buy them, check your local OSH/lowes etc.
they weren't metric, just whatever fit.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 04/06/14 at 05:01:49

Verslagen provided me a link to this old thread......and it is possible to use the caliper with a bit of welding, drilling and tapping.  It will be a few weeks before I can let you know if it is worth the effort.  The piston size should provide a 24% increase in braking force, this SV650 caliper has 2 pistons that are 34mm....the stock caliper is a single 43mm piston.

I first put the bracket in my lathe and machined off the raised portion that provides a thicker thread area.

I then welded up the original holes.

I then ground the welds nearly flush, then cut an extension piece to weld on.  I left the extension large so it could be welded without burning it up....the actual extension needed was much smaller.

Here is the bracket cut to size and tapped 10x1.25.  I then welded nuts on the back side to provide more thread area.

Here is what it looks like mounted.  If I had it to do over again I would weld the extension with more area on one side - so the caliper could be rotated closer to the fork leg.

I need to order some new brake pads, and while they are in the mail I am going to ride with the stock caliper for a bit so I remember what it feels like.  Then when I mount the new one I will see how it works.  If it works well, I will probably paint it silver like the original one.  I believe I spent about 6 hours cutting and grinding on this...I sure hope it works!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #48 - 04/06/14 at 05:13:24

i find this quite intriguing, i run a bandit 1200 and the brakes are ok i also was running my 400 savage before teardown, now i do have a braided hose on the savage and its more than adequate for stopping, itl lock the wheel no problem all day everyday, doesnt fade feels great, jump back on the bandit and its just meh compared to the savage, i think as long as the caliper is well looked after frequently cleaned/checked and is bled every 2 years with the braided hose is a superb system...
but like i said i am intrigued with new set ups purely from a customizable view....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:59:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2-piston caliper upgrade?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.