Send Topic Print
Engine Not Oiling (Read 131 times)
A.J.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine Not Oiling
04/05/14 at 09:22:24

bike was set up for 2 yrs, got it started let it warm up, pipe started turning blue, shut engine down, checked oil filter to make sure I had it in the right way, oil was cold. checked oil in the engine and it was cold.
How do I determine or what would prevent the oil from circulating????

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine Not Oiling
Reply #1 - 04/05/14 at 10:14:18

You could test oil pressure thru the front port.
by the front right foot peg is a plug that faces forward.
you'll need an adapter and a pressure gage.

and there are a number of other bolts that you could loosen and oil should squirt out.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 04/05/14 at 10:41:12

How long did it run?

Id give some thot to hitting that oil port plug hole with some air, pop the valve cover off & listen up there. I wouldnt do it w/o a regulator,, set down to about 10 PSI. In fact, lower is better, you want to see if its plugged up, so, go low, & see if you get air up top,,if not, then lets think about it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
A.J.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/05/14 at 11:41:12

Whats funny and scares me is this bike has 2225miles. No blue on pipe; I change oil / clean carb/ block off transient enrichment hose, starts right up. I let it idle for about 3/5 min. and the pipe starts to smoke and turn blue. I shut it down and check the filter to make sure its in right , oil was up in the new filter, but the oil in the crank case was cold as ice

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/05/14 at 12:22:04

So, which way was the filter facing?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/05/14 at 13:06:49

A.J. wrote on 04/05/14 at 11:41:12:
Whats funny and scares me is this bike has 2225miles. No blue on pipe; I change oil / clean carb/ block off transient enrichment hose,

no such thing... where's it at?
Quote:
starts right up. I let it idle for about 3/5 min. and the pipe starts to smoke and turn blue.

Bluing can be caused by improper cleaning or leaving an OIL residue on it.
Quote:
I shut it down and check the filter to make sure its in right ,

You should be able to push the cover all the way home w/out bolting it down.
Quote:
oil was up in the new filter, but the oil in the crank case was cold as ice

I don't know if that would be long enough to warm the oil.

WWW   IP Logged
A.J.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/05/14 at 13:54:39

Changed oil again, ran for about 3 min. pipe got hot, oil up in filter but only warm. And to answer your question ,the filter was in right.
11 yr. old bike and just now the pipe starts to turn blue.
Sommen aint right, as they say down here in Texas.

Thanks for your help

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #7 - 04/05/14 at 14:09:55

I too am wondering what the "enrichment hose" is and where it is at....are you sure its not one of the two vent lines on top?

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/05/14 at 15:04:59

take a valve inspection cover off and stick your finger in there... take your finger out... is it oily?
now start her up... oil should be spraying out a bit.
shut her off and put the cover back on.

take off the chrome beauty piece at the right side top.
on the right side, at the rear of the jug is a bolt, follow it up to the top and loosen the bolt there.
start her up and oil should be squirting or at least oozing out of that bolt hole.

WWW   IP Logged
A.J.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/05/14 at 17:27:39

Iv'e tore the carb off now thinking the slide might be sticking. The hose works off of the transient enrichment valve. Iv'e ordered a oil pressure test kit. My carb kit will be in this week. Oh! also I have been reading about jets in stock carbs mine are stock but don't match anything I have read. my main jet is 145 and my pilot jet is 42.
ill do like u say and check the head when I get it back together. off the top of your head u know what oil pressure this thing should put out????

Thanks for your help
A.J.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 04/05/14 at 19:01:29

How long did you let it sit and idle while it was warming up?  The bike sitting still with no air flow over the pipe is one way that you can turn the pipe blue in a hurry.  Your pipe might also be turning blue because it has something on it...wax, oil, soap.....anything on the exhaust will make it turn blue faster than a clean pipe.  The pipe should never be waxed.......just cleaned with Blue Job.

Do the Test that Verslagen suggested.  If the upper end parts are dry.....then you need to start worrying and checking things.....but not because of a blue pipe.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #11 - 04/05/14 at 20:28:29

When I got my 87 about a year and a half ago, there was no discoloration on the header pipe at all.  It was bright chrome.  It started changing colors when I started riding the bike.  It's not done changing colors but has mostly turned a sort of golden brown now.  The dyna muffler is also turning the same color.

I wouldn't be too surprised about the color change.  Especially if the bike is sitting still during this running.  If so, you aren't getting the cooling that comes from the air hitting the pipe so, it's getting much hotter than it would going down the road.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 04/05/14 at 20:51:49

I'm still wondering what you are calling the enrichment valve tube/hose.... here is the left side of the carb.  The enrichment valve knob is here... where is the tube/hose?

Just trying to clarify something... not trying to be a nuisance.....

The throttle cable is the metal tube, the inlet fuel hose comes in from tank... there are two hoses at the top of the carb (vent tubes) and there is one hose on the right side (vacuum hose goes to the petc0ck, if vacuum petc0ck is installed) that is a vacuum tube.
Which one did  you block off?  

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
A.J.
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 04/06/14 at 06:19:44

I blocked the vacuum hose; it goes to the [in my manual] transient enrichment valve. You call it the vacuum valve.
I found out right away that when I first started her up without the gas tank; that hose had to b blocked or the engine would blabber.
I pulled the carb back off and the slide was not working very smoothly; so maybe that was the reason for the blue pipe; a stuck slide.

Thanks guys gotta run to Mass, back on line later.
A.J.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:18:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Not Oiling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.