Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: How do you drain your oil?  (vote mulitple times)

Cold to mildly warm
Pretty darned warm
HOT, I wear a glove or use a string
I let it drain for hours to overnight
When the dribbling stops, I'm done
I tilt right and left to get more out
Gotten first degree finger burns
Got a strain from holding the tilt

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 11/08/10 at 13:38:49 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Drain Oil Hot or Cold ? (Read 536 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Drain Oil Hot or Cold ?
Reply #15 - 11/08/10 at 06:45:56

Yea, I gave up on that Hot change idea some months ago.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #16 - 11/08/10 at 13:28:42

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/08/10 at 06:42:29:

Surprise, hot isn't very popular.   Sorry, Lupo.  

Going to the dentist isn't very popular but I'm going to keep doing it.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/10/10 at 12:15:03

going to see how my habits change now that I have lift. . .

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 11/11/10 at 05:59:12

LostArtist wrote on 11/10/10 at 12:15:03:
going to see how my habits change now that I have lift. . .

A lift ?
Your conscience probably doesn't bother you either !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 11/11/10 at 21:55:07

Lets wait & see how long it takes for our collective envy to suck the life outta his heart.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #20 - 11/11/10 at 23:16:36

I always drained hot or very warm,the only reason ? it comes out quicker and I'm usually in a hurry, with my car I take it to jiffy lube for $19 you cant beat it, cost you about the same if you do it yourself.
Besides my B/in law is using the ramp all the time ,and I do not like laying on a cold floor.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/24/10 at 12:33:07

I change hot. Why, because years ago my Diesel instructor told me to. I do lean the bike from side to side then with the drain plug still out and the filter cover removed I put the bike into gear with the kick stand down holding the bike upright then I turn the engine over a few times and more oil comes out. I usually have my GF to assist because someone has to hold a rag over the side where the cover is, it gets really messy. Regards, Jim.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 11/24/10 at 12:35:40

JimRR wrote on 11/24/10 at 12:33:07:
I change hot. Why, because years ago my Diesel instructor told me to. I do lean the bike from side to side then with the drain plug still out and the filter cover removed I put the bike into gear with the kick stand down holding the bike upright then I turn the engine over a few times and more oil comes out. I usually have my GF to assist because someone has to hold a rag over the side where the cover is, it gets really messy. Regards, Jim.

+1 thats the way I've always did it too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #23 - 11/24/10 at 13:18:06

I think it still comes down to part of my original question,....which one really does get more oil out, hot or cold.
I myself am convinced I get just as much oil out cold, as hot, because draining cold will get more oil out from the top end, "oil level upward", but will leave more from the oil level downward.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 11/24/10 at 13:34:13

Hot

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 11/24/10 at 14:42:53

I call it about a tie. But, since cool or cold is easier on me, I do it that way.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 11/24/10 at 19:34:42

Yeah, burning my fingers was one thing, but when I dropped a hot drain plug into one of those closed pans that has only about a 1" hole in the center, thats when I said, "enuff is enuff, never again ! Shocked

Rich
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 11/24/10 at 22:17:20

Routy wrote on 11/24/10 at 19:34:42:
Yeah, burning my fingers was one thing, but when I dropped a hot drain plug into one of those closed pans that has only about a 1" hole in the center, thats when I said, "enuff is enuff, never again ! Shocked

So? What did ya do? Go & buy a drain pan with a bigger hole? Tell us man, dont leave me hanging,,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 11/24/10 at 22:22:41

He hasn't got many choices, he either went after it with a shop magnet through the pan hole or he emptied it when it got cold and caught it then.

Either way gets his bolt back, but both are additional oily greasy trouble.

Since synthetics don't change viscosity very much between finger cold and finger scalding -- it really doesn't make much difference to me.   The bike is generally still warm from the last ride for normal oil changes, but I have done it stone cold at the same time I was adjusting the valves.

Justin, your white jug Rotella T triple protection dino oil now has all the JASO approvals right on the front of the jug now.  

Ain't ya proud that after all those years of us a telling them "motorcycle only" oil boys Rotella was OK in a bike is finally all official now.  Even Charon's using it now.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 11/24/10 at 23:43:10

Ain't ya proud that after all those years of us a telling them "motorcycle only" oil boys Rotella was OK in a bike is finally all official now.  Even Charon's using it now.

Grin

Well, I spose so,, but really, I was satisfied that I had listened to sage advice when I went with it in the first place.I asked for input, then I went & looked for more confirmation, then I went with the stuff & Ive talked to mechanics who think its the best oil oput there, For Diesels.
I figure if the viscosity suits the engine & the oil itself is able to go in a diesel,, ( Ohh, & BTW, the reason its "For Diesels" & Not Cars is b/c cars have a catalytic & ther's stuff in Rotella that will kill a cataclysmic perverter. Or So I Hear...

Anyway, to answer your question, I feel kinda vindicated, but frankly, I dont need that, either. Like so many other topics where I am contested vehemently, I dont care, cuz  know what I know.

Doesnt keep me from appreciatin them who teach..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:50:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drain Oil Hot or Cold ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.