Send Topic Print
Beemer patriot... (Read 144 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Beemer patriot...
Reply #15 - 10/27/10 at 02:27:48

In 1980 I bought a v50 moto guzzi,At the time it was between it and a 1980 650 bmw,About a year later I was parked and when I come back a 650 bmw was park right next to mine,At that time I thought the Moto guzzi was way better looking,Maybe when you have a bike the looks grows on you.The exhaust sound was the best I have ever heard,To me it had a V8 sound.What I meant on the BMWs that their owners thought they were one step above the rest of us.One thing different about that Moto Guzzi was the faster you went the smoother the engine was.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Beemer patriot...
Reply #16 - 10/27/10 at 04:47:03

Thank you all for all the nice comments on BMWs and Moto Guzzis.

I had a V50 Monza (the cafe` racer version with more ooomph)

(in this very color!)

and a BMW R65 Mk1 at the same time

I was actually juggling my one insurance between the two bikes to keep costs down.

The Guzzi had a much more performing frame and brakes (3 discs and integral braking) and a more responsive engine (48bhp@8000rpm) compared to the BMW's smooth waffle (45bhp@8000rpm).
The Guzzi would cruise at 4000rpm@100Km/h (60mph) the BMW needed to rev up to 5000rpm to match the speed.
(in a word, BMW's 5th gear matched GHuzzi's 4th gear, and Guzzi still had 5th to go)
Also, the BMW had one stainless disc up front and a tiny udrum at the rear (useless!) - no matcvh for Guzzi's three discs.
The Guzzi was also a tad less thirsty, I could squeeze 300km out of that 15 liter tank before needing a fillup - compared to 250km in the BMW's 16 liter tank.
All in all, the BMW was terriffic for putt-putting (slow cruising) in Rome's city center (narrow alleys, cobblestones and riverside boulevards) whie the Guzzi was a better high-speed motorway cruiser.

Now that I have the Savage and the 1200 Beemer

I feel I have come full circle again, one slow boulevard cruiser (with hilariously useless brakes) and one quick and efficient motorway cruiser  Cool
PS No, I do NOT wear BMW riding apparel, it's strictly "Tucano Urbano" Made in Italy  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:30:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Beemer patriot...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.