Burning... (Read 380 times)
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Burning...
Reply #15 - 10/19/10 at 17:56:18

I was thinking of a gaiter but a cheaper way to go would be to sew a couple strips of vercro to a piece of leather and wrap it around you leg. Same thing just cheaper.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #16 - 10/19/10 at 20:24:52

How about one of those ipod holders for joggers, must be one that wpould fit an ankle.  As a bonus, if the  size were right you could carry your EZ Pass transponder in the pouch. Wink

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #17 - 10/20/10 at 01:05:59

Chaps take less time to put on then your boots. Keeps the road dirt off your clean work pants as well as keeping them from burning. Their nice when some soccer mom on her cell in a mini van cuts you off as well.
Putting a set of gaiters or puttees on from the army surplus store will take about the same time and offer a lot less protection.
Means you can leave the thermals off your legs during the ride as well when it gets really nippy. Wink.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #18 - 10/20/10 at 02:18:45

EJID wrote on 10/19/10 at 06:50:49:
I wish it was money burning a hole in my pants, but instead it's my exhaust! Just this morning I had to stop and get gas on my way to work and as I put the bike on the kickstand I smelled something funny Huh looked down and my pants were melting to the exhaust  Shocked This is not the first time either...

What do some of you guys do to avoid this? I have what you would call a job that requires me to at least wear slacks and a polo shirt, if not a shirt and tie everyday. I would gladly wear Levis everyday while riding, but the boss would likely frown upon that.

Any suggestions?

Hi EJID, all suggestions (except header wrap) seem good to me.

I don't like header wrap per se, it's a primciple of mine.

Do you, by chance, have extra length forward controls fitted?
Because my foot controls are standard, and I've been riding in my uniform or civilian attire for 5 years now, and never ever had an issue.
So, it's either forward controls or flappy trousers (bell bottoms?)

You could go '60s fashion and wear narrow tube-bottom trousers.

One cheap and dependable solution is the ankle clip as sold in BiCYCLE stores (to keep trousers frmo getting caught in the chain and sprocket), mine glow in the dark !!!
Good visibility at night !!!

Smiley

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
FlybysBlvd

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
Reply #19 - 10/20/10 at 05:56:30

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/extras/cruiser+accessories/fieldsheer_burn...

Got one of these and it works very well - just have to find them, they are out of stock at motorcycle closeouts.
C

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #20 - 10/20/10 at 08:08:01

mpescatori wrote on 10/20/10 at 02:18:45:
Hi EJID, all suggestions (except header wrap) seem good to me.

I don't like header wrap per se, it's a primciple of mine.

Do you, by chance, have extra length forward controls fitted?
Because my foot controls are standard, and I've been riding in my uniform or civilian attire for 5 years now, and never ever had an issue.
So, it's either forward controls or flappy trousers (bell bottoms?)

You could go '60s fashion and wear narrow tube-bottom trousers.

One cheap and dependable solution is the ankle clip as sold in BiCYCLE stores (to keep trousers frmo getting caught in the chain and sprocket), mine glow in the dark !!!
Good visibility at night !!!

Smiley

I too, do not particularly like the header wrap (just doesn't suit my style)

I don't have forward controls, and I would say the pants I wear aren't exactly bell bottoms, but they are somewhat loose/baggy.

I thought about the ankle clip/strap things as well, and think that would probably work best for most of my short jaunt riding that I do.

When I get around to being able to ride more frequently for extended distances, I will entertain the idea of full leather chaps. (currently I have had the bike only about 14 months and have only put on about 1,200 miles)

Fly - the gaiters that you posted would be ideal. I will keep an eye out for those as well.

Thanks for everyone's advice/ideas. (but I'm NOT wearing a KILT!!!)  Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #21 - 10/21/10 at 11:48:25

All you need is a set of pants clips designed for bicyclists.  You can get them for under $4 but these have the advantage of giving you some style (or making you look dorky as all get out, depending on your point of view).
http://www.conranusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=Under25&language=en-US&pid=1...

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #22 - 10/21/10 at 11:59:05

jef.savage wrote on 10/21/10 at 11:48:25:
All you need is a set of pants clips designed for bicyclists.  You can get them for under $4 but these have the advantage of giving you some style (or making you look dorky as all get out, depending on your point of view).
http://www.conranusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=Under25&language=en-US&pid=1...

Agree, those have to be some of the dorkiest looking things I have ever seen  Cheesy But seriously, I just need to stop and pickup a set of the cheepo bike ones from wallyworld or something. Thanks again everyone.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #23 - 10/21/10 at 12:29:18

Another idea is a slap bracelet: http://www.amazon.com/12-animal-print-slap-bracelets/dp/B0001ZJ7NK/ref=sr_1_1...

Can probably find them at walmart for cheap too. You can find them in black that is unless you like the animal print... its a simple piece of spring steel that wraps around your wrist but could also wrap around your leg, just a thought.

Darren
IN-S40

PS no I dont play with bracelets... Roll Eyes my daughter does lol

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 10/21/10 at 23:45:53

Quit your job!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #25 - 10/22/10 at 05:58:05

Check the horse and feed supply stores (online and in town) for gaiters and chaps - they are often less expensive there than from MC dealers, and if you have a local store you may find a re-sale section where gently used equipment is availble.
I got a super nice pair of Ariat boots for $20 that way! (retail $250)

Half gaiters in all sorts of colors, styles and materials (I'm holding out for a pink pair!)  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #26 - 10/22/10 at 06:12:17

You guys must be holding your legs tight to the cycle,I've never burned any pants legs.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #27 - 10/22/10 at 13:28:55

or you could just wrap your leg with header wrap, thus avoiding the whole pipe bluing issue altogether.
Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #28 - 10/22/10 at 17:48:53

Actually, I haven't burned any trousers legs. But I have burned the leg of my Frogg Toggs and the leg of my snowmobile suit on the exhaust of the S40. Seems to happen when I have gotten off the bike and am standing on the right (starboard) side either fuelling the bike or doing something else that requires me to stand close to it. Both cases I burned the outside of the left leg.

However, I have burned my right boot heel against the pipe, just aft of the front heat shield, while riding.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 10/22/10 at 22:59:39

I have a wicked good burn on my left shoulder from an exhaust pipe...
... but my pants are fine,... can't imagine how you'd burn your pants...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 17:35:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Burning...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.