Burning... (Read 380 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Burning...
10/19/10 at 06:50:49

I wish it was money burning a hole in my pants, but instead it's my exhaust! Just this morning I had to stop and get gas on my way to work and as I put the bike on the kickstand I smelled something funny Huh looked down and my pants were melting to the exhaust  Shocked This is not the first time either...

What do some of you guys do to avoid this? I have what you would call a job that requires me to at least wear slacks and a polo shirt, if not a shirt and tie everyday. I would gladly wear Levis everyday while riding, but the boss would likely frown upon that.

Any suggestions?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Re: Burning...
Reply #1 - 10/19/10 at 07:21:48

cotton slacks????

IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/19/10 at 07:53:39

Is there any way you can carry your work clothes with you and then change when you get to work? Maybe buy a pair of Levis that are too big to fit over your work clothes & take them off when you get to work?Only things I can think of. Undecided

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 10/19/10 at 08:20:54

i wear jeans, carry pants in backpack. if you roll instead of fold, you don't get your pants wrinkled too bad (i.e. look good enough for a druggist - probably not if you're a high powered executive!)

get leather boots like a motorcycle cop, tuck them in!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 10/19/10 at 08:44:21

I have the same problem.  It is not urgent because the pant/pipe contact is intermittent and I can get away with wearing jeans at work.  I have one eye out for a short carbon fiber shield that doesn't cost a fortune, but will probably just go with a short length of header wrap.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/19/10 at 08:49:21

Option one, pull sock down, pull pant leg tight to the front, push fingertip into it & Foooold it across, raise sock, Pantleg is now smoothly inside the sock.

Or, do the same thing, just not so tight, then roll panleg up a couple of turns, like wrapping a towel after a shower.

Or, get some elastic & some velcro & build a band to wrap around
or, gitchyerself some Boots, Dude..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/19/10 at 08:58:22

I wear jeans but occassionally even those get burned.
So I also wear high top boots and tuck the legs in.
Another option is leather legs aka half chaps.

WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #7 - 10/19/10 at 12:51:37

Buy a set of chaps. Protect your legs in more ways then one. Muffler, asphalt and cold air.

IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/19/10 at 13:08:47

Wolfman wrote on 10/19/10 at 12:51:37:
Buy a set of chaps. Protect your legs in more ways then one. Muffler, asphalt and cold air.

Why didn't I think of that! Shocked

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 10/19/10 at 13:27:28

EJID wrote on 10/19/10 at 06:50:49:
....my pants were melting to the exhaust  Shocked This is not the first time either...
What do some of you guys do to avoid this?  

I haven't done this, but in the '50's - early '60's it was my job to polish my dad's boots and puttees.  Dad was a motorcycle cop.
Puttees cover the pants/calf.  Are quick on/off, with a buckle on the top and a steel slot/tab thing at the bottom.  These look like ones the dad had:
http://www.paradestore.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=277  $250

These are older style with top/bottom straps:
http://www.goldenagemotorcycleclothing.com/puttees.htm  $125.

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 10/19/10 at 13:28:47

Wolfman wrote on 10/19/10 at 12:51:37:

Agree, this would be ideal, other than most of my rides are to/from work and that is less than a 3 mile commute each way. Would make putting on chaps more of a hassle than anything else, but would offer the most protection.

Appreciate all the ideas, hate having to shell out money on a perfectly good pair of pants that are ruined so quickly. (I've only had this pair that burned today about 3 weeks Embarrassed)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #11 - 10/19/10 at 15:08:59

Wear a kilt.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 10/19/10 at 16:32:39

With the kilt you burn your leg instead. Devise a heat shield, perhaps by wrapping several layers of hardware cloth around the pipe. Of course, it won't look very good. Or trade for a bike with a pipe in a different location.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/19/10 at 16:55:18

If you have a Dyna or other form of aftermarket muffler, go to a motorcycle place or a boat place and buy some 2" wide fiberglass stripping tape.   Get at least 10-15 feet worth of continuous tape.

Take your muffler and header off as an assembly -- don't break the clamp joint (you will be wrapping over it, so snug it up a bit while it is still on the bike)

Wrapping instructions given here pertain to a Dyna muffler -- do not wrap a stock muffler as it holds in heat and you will melt certain non-metalic mounting parts if you wrap over them.

Start as far back on the muffler as you can, going as far back as your mounting bolt goes through the bracket if you want to maximize coverage.  Glue the start point down with something (muffer putty in the squeeze tube works good for this). Give it one full straight wrap and reglue as you go past the start point again.  Then wrap it on a gain keeping a at least a quarter to a half of the wrap overlapping the last round.  Stretch things a bit to make the wrap conform to the conical shape changes of the muffler and pipe.  

Tip: A thin stripe of  muffler squeeze tube putty on the back side of things gives "a tie down point" to each wrap turn as you make it and keeps them all from coming unraveled should you lose tension momentarily.

Wrap her on up over the joint and up the pipe at least as far up the pipe portion as your toes can go at full leg extension.  Then spot it good with putty and do a full turn in place and glue the cut end down with muffler putty so it doesn't show on the back side of the pipe.

The muffler putty has squeezed through the mesh as you went along making a push through line along the back sides of everything.  Match that with a thin finger line of fresh putty applied along the back side of the entire wrapped length.  This anchors your wrap job very nicely.

Optional but very smart is some fine single strand stainless wire (got mine from Walmart in the picture frame area in Hardware) twisted up tight with pliers around the start and stop points of the wrap job and again at the joint area on both sides of the muffler/pipe joint.  

Eventually you are going to want to cut the tape to take the muffer and pipe apart, when you do that stop the unraveling with a heavy smear of muffler putty all the way around at the cut point (apply before you cut it) and have the wire already there to limit the fraying mechanically.

Good news, if you have white fiberglass wrap and get it stained with dirty  motor oil it will burn itself back to white in about 3-4 months.  The stain will eventually become unnoticeable.

The fiberglass wrap will prevent polyester pants from melting on your exhaust system IF you cover enough of the muffler and pipe to hit all the places your pants can hit.

Fair Warning -- your muffer and pipe will discolor (blue) everywhere you cover it with wrap -- so expect this and accept it ahead of time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 10/19/10 at 17:07:59

Wear canvas gaiters, or leather gaiters. They zipper up and protect your pants from burning and your shins from rocks , bird strikes, small children , etc.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 05:29:07

General CategoryThe Cafe › Burning...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.