Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
25 years today w/o booze. Anyone else? (Read 239 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: 25 years today w/o booze. Anyone else?
Reply #15 - 10/11/10 at 20:25:03

Congratulations photojoe..keep up the good work.  It is nice to watch the young'uns grow. Smiley

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #16 - 10/11/10 at 20:30:53

Been clean and sober for 14 years now. The hardest thing I ever did was not drinking and drugging, but its the most rewarding thing I've ever done. Life's a lot better now.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #17 - 10/11/10 at 23:41:20

Midnightrider wrote on 10/11/10 at 20:30:53:
Been clean and sober for 14 years now. The hardest thing I ever did was not drinking and drugging, but its the most rewarding thing I've ever done. Life's a lot better now.

Well done Mike ,where have you been ? haven't seen you post for a while. everything ok ?

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #18 - 10/12/10 at 05:43:59

mick wrote on 10/11/10 at 23:41:20:
Midnightrider wrote on 10/11/10 at 20:30:53:

Well done Mike ,where have you been ? haven't seen you post for a while. everything ok ?
Been painting the house LOL. I'm just about done. Yesterday Jen and I went to Damascus Virginia and spent the day riding bicycles. It was beautiful up there with the fall colors.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #19 - 10/12/10 at 05:49:44

photojoe FSO wrote on 10/11/10 at 15:40:41:
Good one thumper Smiley

BH: I was a roadie when I was 18 and partied 6 nights a week. Left for the venues around 1PM, set up the stage, done by 6-7 and had nothing to do but drink free booze until we broke it down, usually done by 3AM. Sleep and do it all over again. On the 7th day I drank because it was my day off Grin The kicker for me came when I didn't remember driving home. Woke up and the car was there, but had no memory of driving it home. Scared the crappers out of me. Had 2 friends die in booze related accidents around the same time...so enough.

See, I understand that perfectly.  Had a few younger years that I drank alot too.  Also had a few times of not remembering parts of my drive home too.  I guess that scared me into not drinking "so much", but I think I really just "grew up".  These days I may only have one beer in a whole week, and that's only if I feel like it.  My hubby drinks a few beers almost every evening, if we have any.  If we don't, its no big deal.  He's not making special trips in the middle of the night to go find something to drink.  I guess I was just curious about that "line".  I'm not trying to advocate drinking, just trying to understand.  

We have a young friend (25ish) who drinks often and alot.  I've never been around a true alcoholic, so I worry about the amount that he drinks.  Is it something he will grow out of, or something he will have to make a conscientious effort to change?  I hope something causes him to change soon.  

Now Diet Coke is a different story.  I am a Diet-Coke-aholic...  Sad      

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #20 - 10/12/10 at 06:01:21

14 years ago this month. I make the decision every morning not to drink. Congrats to everyone else who's sticking with their decision to quit.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 10/12/10 at 06:28:24

I am a Diet-Coke-aholic

aspartame is more damaging than beer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #22 - 10/12/10 at 08:01:18

I've cut down drinking quite a bit since my youth, but thnakfully, I don't have a problem with it.  I usually have 2 martinis or scotchs with dinner.

I smoked a pipe heavily until July 29th, 2004 at 4:30 PM when I had my onset of angina which led to getting two stents in my left anterior descending artery.

As for lung cancer - there are other causes beyond tobacco.  My mother's family were, or in most cases, still are Appalachian Hillbillies in Southern Ohio.

They are, for the most part, fairly devout Mormons ( although I'm not - I'm Catholic ).  That means they don't drink or smoke.

Two of my mother's sisters died of lung cancer - they didn't ever smoke, their husbands didn't; they were never around even second hand smoke.  Sure, smokers have a greatly incresaed risk of lung cancer, but it isn't the only cause.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #23 - 10/12/10 at 08:17:47

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/12/10 at 06:28:24:
I am a Diet-Coke-aholic

aspartame is more damaging than beer.

Thanks, but everything I've read about aspartame says the controversy is bogus.  It is one of the most tested substances and has been found to be safe as it is currently being used.

Granted, I'm not going to get YOU to believe that, but I do.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #24 - 10/12/10 at 08:32:07

Baby -

I'm with you.  Back 20 years ago my mother in law started telling me a bogus story about "6,000 airline pilots who were suing over brain damage from Equal".

Well, I asked her that since my law practice is about 90% aviation related, since I'm a licensed commercial pilot myself, don't you think I'd have heard about such a lawsuit?

She had no reply, and there never was any such class action case.  Aspartame has been around for a LONG time.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #25 - 10/12/10 at 09:34:43

I work as security for a Coca cola bottling plant, and it makes you think when a truck pulls in with hazmat signs all over it and what they are hauling is actual ingredients for coke.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/12/10 at 09:37:50

Good for you Joe.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #27 - 10/12/10 at 09:53:16

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 10/12/10 at 09:34:43:
I work as security for a Coca cola bottling plant, and it makes you think when a truck pulls in with hazmat signs all over it and what they are hauling is actual ingredients for coke.

+1 +1 +1  Grin  Grin  Grin

H2O for me!!!

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 10/12/10 at 10:00:24

Back in the 1930's my dad work for RC Cola a short while,They got their syrup from Coke Cola.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #29 - 10/12/10 at 10:14:14

Hey, thanks for all of the replies, and good to know that there are a few others here that are able to celebrate their life without the booze. Turning 50 a few months ago made me think of what my life would've been like had I kept going. Gotta stop these smokes, thinking about hypnosis. Sad that with the budget cuts, they killed all of the free NJ stop smoking classes. Won't hurt me to pony up the cash though, since the price of smokes cost more than paying off a new car every month.

FSO
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 04:09:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › 25 years today w/o booze. Anyone else?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.