Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
One reason the rich matter (Read 711 times)
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: One reason the rich matter
Reply #60 - 08/16/10 at 20:34:09

Source: Washington Post

GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion to deficit, panel finds.

By Lori Montgomery Washington Post Staff Writer.

Thursday, August 12, 2010.

A Republican plan to extend tax cuts for the rich would add more than $36 billion to the federal deficit next year -- and transfer the bulk of that cash into the pockets of the nation's millionaires, according to a congressional analysis released Wednesday. New data from the nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation show that households earning more than $1 million a year would reap nearly $31 billion in tax breaks under the GOP plan in 2011, for an average tax cut per household of about $100,000.

The analysis, requested by Democrats on the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, comes as debate heats up over tax cuts enacted during the Bush administration, most of which are scheduled to expire at the end of this year. Republicans want to extend all the cuts, which would cost the Treasury Department $238 billion in 2011, according to the taxation committee. President Obama and congressional Democrats have vowed to extend the cuts only for families making less than $250,000 a year and individuals making less than $200,000 -- 98 percent of American taxpayers -- in a plan that would add about $202 billion to next year's deficit.

Given the soaring national debt, many economists deem both proposals unaffordable. Even some Republicans, including Reagan administration budget chief David Stockman and former Fed chairman Alan Greenspan, have urged lawmakers to let them expire and allow income tax rates to pop back up to their levels during the Clinton administration.

Obama campaigned on a pledge not to raise taxes for the middle class, however. And with midterm congressional elections in November, few politicians in either party are calling for full repeal. Instead, lawmakers are gearing up for a battle when they return to Washington in September over the small fraction of the tax breaks that benefit the nation's richest families.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20...

... And so the ignorant teabaggers campaign to keep the tax cuts for the rich while their own savings, pensions, jobs et al goes down the toilet.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 08/16/10 at 21:03:33

they should let them all expire

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #62 - 08/16/10 at 21:18:50

what's the tax rate for million dollar households?

35%

so that will drop them down to ~20%

evil GOP

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #63 - 08/16/10 at 22:21:05

something stinks with their numbers

36 billion that's 36,000,000,000 right?
and ave. is 100,000

36,000,000,000 / 100,000 = 360,000

census says 130 million homes in america

360,000 / 130,000,000 = 0.3%

and if you count multiple earners in each house

360,000 / 260,000,000 = 0.15%

I wonder how many are politicians in congress?

WWW   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #64 - 08/17/10 at 00:07:11

All we need is a third party, Democrat,republican,and communist party,
if you are all pissed off at the present situation vote communist,if they get in the rich won't have it very long,and everyone will go to work,we will all have the same pay, great incentive a guys ?
"Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains"

Please don't get upset guys I'm kidding,sh1t it's bad enough being an atheist, if I was a commie you would hate me more.
Years ago I worked for London Transport as a bus driver,every week when we got paid ,we would go to window 1 and get our pay ,in cash.
The next window was the transport union were we  paid our dues,we would also get out free edition of the Daily Worker, a communist news paper. I had got myself a new job as a private chauffeur to a Movie producer, "Harry Michaels" I had a few weeks before starting so I thought I would have some fun.
I did not stop at the union window to pay my dues, they figured I was hard up and couldn't afford them that week.The next week I did the same thing, this time they had a few union guys waiting for me outside,
I said "Hi guys whats up ?" they asked why I didn't pay my union dues,
I simply said "I don't want to" they started to get very close with a grim faces,at that very moment a few buds came out and asked me if everything was ok, the union goons shyed away ,the next week I quit on a thursday ,and got the flock out of there.
A few years later London transport was an open shop ,join the union if you want to, don't join if you don't, Remember we all had a health plan,the only thing the union would do is put up a fight if you got canned,believe me if you got canned from that job you deserved it.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #65 - 08/17/10 at 05:20:02

mick wrote on 08/16/10 at 16:36:24:
babyhog wrote on 08/16/10 at 10:46:32:
I love Dirty Jobs!!  And yea, I can see cash businesses pocketing as much as they can get away with.  Running a business is hard.  And all the little dollar/cash transactions probably seem like just reward for all the effort.  (never done it, not condoning it, just guessing)  My father did run a dry cleaning business when I was little.  I have no idea about the financials, as it closed in my teen years, I think.  But he worked hard, and didn't get rich.

And I guess my amazement with the inherited number is more because those who do well tend to pass it along to their children (if those children don't snort it up their noses, etc.)  I'm not surprised that its lopsided, I just would have guess it more 70-30ish, even 65-35ish.

piglet,you love dirty jobs ? you know my real name is Mike Rowe.
I wish I was the other one,he makes big money and he's way younger.

Yep, I knew that was your name too.  That Mike Rowe is 48 (according to wikipedia, and younger than I would have guessed) so he's a little younger than you.  And I'm sure he's got more money than all of us put together.  I love how he will just dig in and do anything they let him do, no matter how disgusting, scary or difficult it is.

To connect that show to this thread, I think it shows that the nasty jobs have to get done too, and someone has to do them.  Some of those people struggle to get by daily, and some make fortunes doing things that other wouldn't dream of doing.  Inspirational it is....

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 08/17/10 at 06:29:33

Star: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion to deficit, panel finds.

Wouldn't that headline be more correct if it read:
"GOP plans to stop governement theft of citizen's money to fund programs people somehow managed to live without years ago"

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 08/17/10 at 07:10:41

WebsterMark wrote on 08/17/10 at 06:29:33:
Star: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion to deficit, panel finds.

Wouldn't that headline be more correct if it read:
"GOP plans to stop governement theft of citizen's money to fund programs people somehow managed to live without years ago"

if only, however the GOP has never stopped any of those programs. . .

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #68 - 08/17/10 at 07:45:04

Assuming that math is correct, what % of the total national budget is $36 Billion?  A drop in the bucket.

If those tax savings spur the economy, it's a very worthwhile investment.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 08/17/10 at 09:47:39

how about overpaid federal emplyees dragging the country down...

"Federal workers have been awarded bigger average pay and benefit increases than private employees for nine years in a row. The compensation gap between federal and private workers has doubled in the past decade."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/income/2010-08-10-1Afedpay10_ST_N.htm

and all I got was a paycut and more workload thanks to layoffs........

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #70 - 08/17/10 at 10:12:40

I don't know much aobut Federal employees' compensation except for one area - FAA, with whom I deal almost weekly in my practice.

General aviation inspectors can easily earn over $100K per year.  Not too shabby for a job that just requires a high school diploma.

Many former airline pilots, flight instructors, and aviation business owners are now FAA employees, and others are salivating for the chance to get hired.  I actually know one of them who is a veterinarian - yep, he gave up a vet practice to be an FAA inspector.

All of the Federal holidays off, good vacation and health care benefits, and that wonderful guaranteed government retirement.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #71 - 08/17/10 at 16:59:01

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 08/17/10 at 10:12:40:
I don't know much aobut Federal employees' compensation except for one area - FAA, with whom I deal almost weekly in my practice.

General aviation inspectors can easily earn over $100K per year.  Not too shabby for a job that just requires a high school diploma.

Many former airline pilots, flight instructors, and aviation business owners are now FAA employees, and others are salivating for the chance to get hired.  I actually know one of them who is a veterinarian - yep, he gave up a vet practice to be an FAA inspector.

All of the Federal holidays off, good vacation and health care benefits, and that wonderful guaranteed government retirement.

You would think a guy that took the time and effort to become a vet,
I assume because he loves animals,would stick with it.
could it be that his business was so bad ,maybe because he was lousy at his job, he quit so he could get a nice safe government job ???

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #72 - 08/18/10 at 05:36:45

Mick -

I know this guy personally.  He learned to fly after he became a vet, and just, plain fell in love with aviation.  He practiced as a vet for about 15 years, made some money, saved and invested well, and then went off to pursue the endeavor he loved.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 12:36:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › One reason the rich matter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.