Regular  
  23 (53.4%)
Jet Fuel  
  3 (6.9%)

Total votes: 43
« Created by: Tiefighterpilot on: 05/23/10 at 10:09:02 »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What type of Fuel do you use? (Read 369 times)
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
What type of Fuel do you use?
05/23/10 at 10:09:02

I was wondering if everyone used the Premium Fuel... or is it ok to use regular.  Its getting expensive to buy fuel... even at 2 Gallons a fill.  I thought I read in my owners manual that premium fuel was recommended, but looking it at again, it states minimum 87 octane (regular).

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: What type of Fuel do you use?
Reply #1 - 05/23/10 at 10:13:11

I use Premium because I don't always ride as frequently as I like. Unlike several of the other members on here I don't rack up the 1,000s of miles every year. I started riding mine late last July and I've only put on about 1,000 miles so far so the difference in fuel cost is not significant.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/23/10 at 10:17:02

Where did you find the premium rec?

I believe (cause I haven't look at it in ages) * says regular.

oops... left out 'owners manual'

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 05/23/10 at 10:18:26

I just use the cheap stuff in my thumper but she is liquid cooled, I might use better in an air cooled motor.
Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 05/23/10 at 10:26:16

cheapest... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/23/10 at 10:52:58

100% gasoline 87 octane

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/23/10 at 11:00:48

bill67 wrote on 05/23/10 at 10:52:58:
100% gasoline 87 octane

What? no seafoam?

WWW   IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #7 - 05/23/10 at 11:01:15

My mistake... it is regular that is recommended as minimum.

verslagen1 wrote on 05/23/10 at 10:17:02:
Where did you find the premium rec?

I believe (cause I haven't look at it in ages) says regular.

2007 S40, KN Cone Air Filter, BCB Pipe, BCB Fender and seat, Superbrace Fork Brace with guard, 55 Pilot, 155 Main, washer mod, iridium spark plug, no afterfire, some engine breaking noise
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 05/23/10 at 11:39:17

verslagen1 wrote on 05/23/10 at 11:00:48:
bill67 wrote on 05/23/10 at 10:52:58:
100% gasoline 87 octane

What? no seafoam?

1 1/3 ounce of Sea Foam added every 2 months.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #9 - 05/23/10 at 16:06:25

Here in Nebraska they push E-10 (formerly called "gasohol). Sometimes they describe it as "enriched with ethanol." Some on the Forum consider it as "contaminated with ethanol." The E-10 is usually several cents per gallon cheaper. It is usually 89 octane (mid-grade) while the regular is 87 octane. Some stations offer both fuels, while others offer only E-10. Premium is harder to come by, as my brother discovered when he visited (His Mean Streak calls for 91 octane minimum).

I have been using E-10 in cars, motorcycles, and mowers since the late '70s. It has caused no harm to any of my equipment. I have tried to measure differences in fuel mileage, and have been unable to do so. The only effect I ever noted was better knock resistance using E-10 in a '79 Lincoln, probably due to the higher octane.

Because of the reported potential for phase separation in the presence of water, I avoid E-10 in my boat and other two-stroke equipment. Most manufacturers seem to say ethanol should be avoided when equipment is to be stored for a while, such as over-winter. So, come about September I start putting what Bill calls "100% pure gasoline" in the bikes and mowers. That way when I store them in late October most of the ethanol should be out.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 05/23/10 at 16:40:14

Charon wrote on 05/23/10 at 16:06:25:
Here in Nebraska they push E-10 (formerly called "gasohol). Sometimes they describe it as "enriched with ethanol." Some on the Forum consider it as "contaminated with ethanol." The E-10 is usually several cents per gallon cheaper. It is usually 89 octane (mid-grade) while the regular is 87 octane. Some stations offer both fuels, while others offer only E-10. Premium is harder to come by, as my brother discovered when he visited (His Mean Streak calls for 91 octane minimum).

I have been using E-10 in cars, motorcycles, and mowers since the late '70s. It has caused no harm to any of my equipment. I have tried to measure differences in fuel mileage, and have been unable to do so. The only effect I ever noted was better knock resistance using E-10 in a '79 Lincoln, probably due to the higher octane.

Because of the reported potential for phase separation in the presence of water, I avoid E-10 in my boat and other two-stroke equipment. Most manufacturers seem to say ethanol should be avoided when equipment is to be stored for a while, such as over-winter. So, come about September I start putting what Bill calls "100% pure gasoline" in the bikes and mowers. That way when I store them in late October most of the ethanol should be out.

I once thought ethanol would be a godsend,the more the better,but others in here condemn it.I guess they use 100 % ethanol in Brazil,seems to work ok.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #11 - 05/23/10 at 19:10:09

I use reg as when I did ride I usually rode a tank every few days sometimes twice a week.

IP Logged
Tiefighterpilot

Daily Rider

San Francisco
Reply #12 - 05/23/10 at 21:51:13

I think I will be switching to reg with Marvel Mystery Oil.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 05/24/10 at 05:53:55

I use regular... when I first got the bike, I used premium.  But then I asked the gas station attendant how much premium they sell, and he said "hardly none!".  I don't know how often they change out the tanks, if the fuel doesn't get used, and after reading discussion here about gas getting stale, I switched to regular.   I haven't seen any negative difference.  I actually get better gas mileage now, but I think that can be attributed to more things than gas, so I don't actually know the effect of the gas change.  But to me, fresh regular is better than stale premium!   Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 05/24/10 at 07:26:45

You will have less power on premium gas,because it burns slower ,It would be the same as retarding your spark.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:43:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › What type of Fuel do you use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.