Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What to expect in cold weather? (Read 312 times)
SianLogic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What to expect in cold weather?
11/10/09 at 12:23:23

Hello All,

I went out for ice cream in 45-50F temps and the entire ride, both ways (about 15 mins each way with 20-30 mins break in between) I had to have the choke on.  a Five minute freeway jaunt was a part of this ride.  At idle if I cancelled the choke, the engine would die immediately.  I didn't try cancelling the choke while in motion.  Is this to be expected or is there something that needs to be addressed?

Stock 2009 Boulevard with 200mi.  No service done.  Using Chevron Supreme gas.

Thanks!

SianLogic

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: What to expect in cold weather?
Reply #1 - 11/10/09 at 12:52:02

I'm new to this bike as well, but if it was mine, and being under warranty, I would speed up the idle till it idled. If that wouldn't do it, then I think I would have to take it to the dealer shop to fix it. I know, thats scary,....but hopefully they wouldn't screw it up too bad. Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 11/10/09 at 13:04:01

I don't know, it sounds like something is going on that shouldn't be at only 45F. As Routy said, bumping up the idle would be a good place to start and is simple enough.

I ride year round here in NJ as long as it's not snowing. My bike is an older '87, and my winter routine is to fire it up with full choke. Bring it to 1/2 in 10-15 seconds, then all the way in and start using the throttle for a few minutes. My bike love the cold weather.

Yeah, try the idle and see if that's the problem. If not, post back, and I'm sure that someone here can offer suggestions that will help get you stable.

FSO
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 11/10/09 at 13:41:03

If your idle is off when the engine is warmed up, it will cause you problems.

FWIW my Savage ran fine even below freezing. It took a couple of minutes to warm up, but then didn't need the choke. Bottom line, a stock Savage will run just great in cold or hot weather when properly adjusted.

200 miles is not even enough for the MC to be broke in. Barely enough to be warmed up.  Wink The ride you described is probably not enough for the engine to be completely warmed up, but it shouldn't die if the choke is pushed in. Won't start, but it shouldn't die immediately. If it won't run once warmed up without the choke there is definitely a problem, and probably a problem based on the ride you described even though it might not have been warmed up.

If adjusting it won't fix it, I'd look at how long the gas has sat in it -  gas goes stale pretty quick, summer gas is differently formulated than winter gas. If it's had gas in it for more than a month at any time and been ridden only 200 miles you might be looking at varnish in the carb.

Does supreme mean high octane? If so, why? I'm pretty sure the Savage is set up stock to run 87 octane.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/10/09 at 13:45:18

If its still under warranty, I suggest taking it back to the dealer.  You paid a lot for a new bike to be correct, and it isn't.  Why experiment with adjustments to try and solve a condition which may really be a malfunction that will may get worse?  Suzuki didn't design the bike to run like that.  Something is wrong.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/10/09 at 13:50:44

mornhm - FSO wrote on 11/10/09 at 13:41:03:
If your idle is off when the engine is warmed up, it will cause you problems.

FWIW my Savage ran fine even below freezing. It took a couple of minutes to warm up, but then didn't need the choke. Bottom line, a stock Savage will run just great in cold or hot weather when properly adjusted.

200 miles is not even enough for the MC to be broke in. Barely enough to be warmed up.  Wink The ride you described is probably not enough for the engine to be completely warmed up, but it shouldn't die if the choke is pushed in. Won't start, but it shouldn't die immediately. If it won't run once warmed up without the choke there is definitely a problem, and probably a problem based on the ride you described even though it might not have been warmed up.

If adjusting it won't fix it, I'd look at how long the gas has sat in it -  gas goes stale pretty quick, summer gas is differently formulated than winter gas. If it's had gas in it for more than a month at any time and been ridden only 200 miles you might be looking at varnish in the carb.

Does supreme mean high octane? If so, why? I'm pretty sure the Savage is set up stock to run 87 octane.

Members have reported pre-ignition when running regular grade gas during hot summers and extended idling. These conditions raise internal cylinder temps which can cause hot spots on the piston or valve surfaces, which can cause pre-ignition, especially in lean burning engines like the stock Savage. The higher octane gas solves that problem, and it can't hurt to use it even if the engine doesn't need the higher octane, because it is harmless.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 11/10/09 at 14:06:04

Arthur wrote on 11/10/09 at 13:50:44:
Members have reported pre-ignition when running regular grade gas during hot summers and extended idling. These conditions raise internal cylinder temps which can cause hot spots on the piston or valve surfaces, which can cause pre-ignition. The higher octane gas solves that problem, and it can't hurt to use it even if the engine doesn't need the higher octane, because it is harmless.

OK, makes perfect sense, in fact if I know that I'm making a long ride in hot weather on my Concours I put hi-octane gas in, but in cooler weather, especially when commuting I run 87 octane.

Why, because in my experience, ymmv, the problem with using higher octane in other than hot conditions is that because by definition, high octane gas is harder to detonate which can make low performance engines (such as the Savage's) difficult to start and rough running.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/10/09 at 14:48:42

I can't agree with you about the Savage.  I always use high octane in my bike and never had starting or idling problems.  I have also used it in low compression carbureted car engines with no distributor vacuum advances, and lawnmower engines, with no problems.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 11/10/09 at 15:18:07

High octane should run slightly cooler,Being it burns slower its like retarding the spark.High octane also has more cleaners in it or a bigger percent of cleaner.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 11/10/09 at 15:21:33

Take it back to the shop. I have an 08 and it runs just fine in cooler weather.  Not being broken in may be a issue here but I doubt it. Let the shop have a look at it. At 200 miles, its their problem, not yours.
600 mile is when its due for its 1st adjustments but it should idle once warm, w/o the choke.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/10/09 at 15:36:28

If your idle speed is less than 1,000 rpm (and with all this talk of dying it may well be) you are in danger of oil starving the head's cam bearing journals in your brand new engine due to reduced oil pressure at a reduced idle.   You are killing your engine slowly by lack of oil pressure.

(some young person at your dealership who set the bike up out of the crate set your idle too low because "it sounded cool to me" -- ignorance of the Savage is commonplace at dealerships as they only get the bikes in once a year in the spring and do not get any for the rest of the year -- the young guy who set this crop up was not the guy from last year who knew something, he went back to school or went on to college)

This is a MAJOR issue that could seriously damage your engine permanently.  Immediately take it back to your dealer to have it fixed ASAP under warranty[/u].  Document the idle speed if you can -- have them test the idle speed when you take it in and get the number written down -- if it is less than 1,000 you have proof of warranty on your cam bearing claim for later on when it shows itself.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/10/09 at 15:57:15

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 11/10/09 at 15:36:28:
If your idle speed is less than 1,000 rpm (and with all this talk of dying it may well be) you are in danger of oil starving the head's cam bearing journals in your brand new engine due to reduced oil pressure at a reduced idle.   You are killing your engine slowly by lack of oil pressure.

(some young person at your dealership who set the bike up out of the crate set your idle too low because "it sounded cool to me" -- ignorance of the Savage is commonplace at dealerships as they only get the bikes in once a year in the spring and do not get any for the rest of the year -- the young guy who set this crop up was not the guy from last year who knew something, he went back to school or went on to college)

This is a MAJOR issue that could seriously damage your engine permanently.  Immediately take it back to your dealer to have it fixed ASAP under warranty[/u].  Document the idle speed if you can -- have them test the idle speed when you take it in and get the number written down -- if it is less than 1,000 you have proof of warranty on your cam bearing claim for later on when it shows itself.

Make them check the idle speed, definitely. If its less than 1,000 RPM, then you must make them note it in the maintenance records. They have low oil pressure to begin with. Couple that with low RPM & the head starves for  oil. Damage to the cam journals is not possible, its a given. O.F. is on target here..as usual.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #12 - 11/10/09 at 18:29:48

Mine dies if I close the choke without giving it a little gas. Idles fine once it makes the transition. Warmed up idle speed is about 1100.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #13 - 11/10/09 at 21:39:53

I run year around in the upper north west. I run 87 weather its 80 or 20 out. In the winter I go full choke to start then go right to half till I get my helmet and gloves on, then I kick it into gear and slide the choke in the rest of the way. I do wear two different gloves in the winter though.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
tcreeley

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/11/09 at 17:00:29

I've headed to work when it is 32 out. It takes my 87 LS650 a little bit more cranking to start and I have to leave the choke out longer until it is warmed up. I use  91 octane gas. For 6 dollars to fill the tank- no big deal. The truck takes 60-70 bucks- it gets the cheap stuff.
I worry about the road surface being damp and iced over. That's what I check before I head out. Putting it away for the winter this weekend here in central Maine. Been in the 20's almost every night.
Take it to your dealer, don't adjust it.

tcreeley

it is what it is
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 08:18:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What to expect in cold weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.