Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stage 2 Cam Ride Report (Read 1071 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Stage 2 Cam Ride Report
11/09/09 at 15:16:22

Bike is an '02 with opened up stock airbox, polyfiber & gear oil air filter in the stock steel air filter frame, Dyna muffler exhaust, platinum spark plug, stock displacement, stock timing, stock belt setup with a just added Lancer Stage 2 cam.  

This is a report on stock cam vs Stage 2 cam, unless somebody who has a Stage 1 chimes in we will not get any comparison between Stage 1 and Stage 2.

Ok, ask your questions.   Try to frame your questions in a manner that allows a clear comparison between a stock cam and the new Lancer Stage 2 cam.

« Last Edit: 11/10/09 at 09:19:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Stage 2 Cam Ride Report
Reply #1 - 11/09/09 at 20:38:35

Do you have a tach? If so, can you point to an RPM range where the performance is clearly better? Did it change your 0 to 60 time? How much? Do the girls think youre sexier now? Or would that even be possible???

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 11/10/09 at 03:47:48

No tach, I had a digital ENT but I sold it a few years back after getting the second replacement (the early ones failed a lot).  

I would estimate from speed in gear that I have picked up use of an additional 30-40% of the higher rpm ranges that used to be flat and useless before.

Let's see, you have a Stage 1 cam don't you Justin?  I remember your initial ride report and some of your early comments about the performance increase being about as much as putting on the sporty exhaust.

This is more than that, engine pulls strong right on up through and past the original RPM range by a good bit.  Hitting it strong in all the gears has you shifting out of third into 4th at 65 mph, and you never shift out of 4th before hitting strong speed wobble at 90 mph (my back end bash up still has a wobble up at that speed).  And it gets there fast.  My 0-60 time is less time than it takes you to do the 1-2-3 shift at full throttle now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 11/10/09 at 04:35:39

How is the idle now? Does it behave like a 2-stroke or is it as smooth as before? And how about the fuel economy, or maybe this is too early to say.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 11/10/09 at 05:47:46

Idle is unaffected, there is no lumpy idle.  Off idle is not flat or staggering, it simply races on up into the higher rpm ranges.  There is no flat spot any more as you speed up, there isn't time for a flat spot -- it's that quick.

Gas mileage has got to be affected, you are getting the extra energy from somewhere.   So far pipe is only the slightest bit bluer, but I suspect that will deepen over time.  I have a set of Lancer jets, some rejetting may be required but that would only more adversely affect the gas mileage.

I suspect durability will be adversely affected over time as well, I think you can get up to red line now and you spend more time at higher rpms during normal getting around town.

I am on my second oil change now, still wondering why Web Cam wants you to use dino oil instead of synthetic oil.

Lancer -- do you know why Web Cam tells you to only use dino oil?  I think we need to understand why as it may be some car thing instead of a bike thing (I hope, anyway).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/10/09 at 07:26:38

You know, I have never asked them about the oil question; I have always used synthetic most of the time.
I will call and ask.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 11/10/09 at 08:20:26

How much different is the high gear roll on from 40 mph to 70 mph?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 11/10/09 at 09:16:25

Bill, most of it takes place in third gear, You shift into fourth and as soon as the gas is back on you have passed 70.  

Kinda hard to split that up.

« Last Edit: 11/10/09 at 14:31:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 11/10/09 at 09:22:25

Whats it like in high gear?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 11/10/09 at 11:07:38

I just got off the phone with Webcam regarding the use of conventional oil vs synthetic.  They say they recommend the use of Valvoline Racing oil or Kendal because it sticks to the parts better than the synthetic, which they say tends to be thinner and does not coat & stick to the parts as well.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 11/10/09 at 11:37:47

Bill, 5th gear isn't really needed, it now falls into a true overdrive category.  It is only 400-500 rpm off of fourth and fourth is now good to over 90 mph so 5th becomes superfluous.

If I was cruising on the flat, I guess I'd use it as overdrive to save gas.  If I was in the mountains I would not use it because I want my rev's up to use for engine braking if needed.  I would stay in 4th or 3rd for most mountain riding, likely dropping down to 3rd and 2nd for the real twisties.

============

Lancer, their main concern is racing, then.  They are talking about racing dino oils, right?  They did not mention spauling or pitting or anything having to do with the weld up and synthetics did they?

I guess I can stand using Rotella T all the time on a shorter change interval.  But when a manufacturer states a restriction you kinda want to know why, so I guess we know what they are willing to tell us.

Plus, I bet Kendal and Valvoline racing oils were ZDDP rich with other heavy abuse additives to boot.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 11/10/09 at 11:41:37

WOW - that is strange
did they back up this recommendation with any hard data ?

Why then would Porche,Audi,Ferrari, ect recommend syn oil for all their engines ?

Could it be a stage 2 cam is beyond their physics ?

Come on does not "stick" to engine parts? - syn oil is the same viscosity as dino oil - just go and read any oil manufactures tech sheets.

wow - just wow ? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 11/10/09 at 11:57:53

Web Cam's truth may be more pragmatic.  They get a certain number of complaints and returns associated with their weld up & regrind process -- it is the nature of the beast and is true for any cam business.  

If they collect the "oil type used" as part of the return process it would not take them very long to identify synthetics as giving relatively more returns than Kendal and Valvoline racing oil -- ergo which would you recommend for use with your product?

They may not know why -- it is what it is.   It does sound somewhat car based though, as Kendal and Valvoline are more of a popular car oil than a bike oil.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/10/09 at 12:23:39

"sticking" - just does not hold any meaning for me -
it does not really make sense - instead of relying on cunsumer compaints and used oil samples -
any company should do their own testing - and verify their claims with raw data -

samples from consumers can easily be taken improperly - or even verified improperly.

Rotating parts, pressure, and build quality have nothing to do with the flowablity/pupability of synthetics vs dino oil. They flow the same - only synthetics have lower/higher pour and flash points.

Back up the recommendation of a dino oil over a superior syn oil.

IP Logged
nicholas
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/10/09 at 12:26:47

This might make more sense if we were talking about automotive cams - where syn auto oils have less zinc, and dino's tend to have a bit more.
But all motor oils syn or dino have plenty of zinc.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 04:20:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stage 2 Cam Ride Report

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.