drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: s40 Fuel Gauge?
Reply #30 - 10/10/09 at 07:29:45

Besides, it's not a tough bike to push!

(Somehow I don't think that's going in to Suzuki's ad campaign. Grin)

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 10/10/09 at 15:15:59

Okay, whats going on here? I just read the Farts from the battery reply & that was a crackup,, Now this? 2 Funny replies in a row? Awww yea, good fun here today..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #32 - 10/15/14 at 14:43:47

In was having the same problem, even took the motorcycle to Suzuki workshop, before I realize the reserv issue.

SO I came up with a couple of ideas. the first one that I will do will be cut the petcock and lower the reserve level (check image)

I am getting risky in here.

And I was thinking in another solution, one used on a custom BMW R nine T made by Bratstye. an external fuel indicator

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #33 - 10/15/14 at 16:11:24

Albert Verdugo wrote on 10/15/14 at 14:43:47:
I am getting risky in here.

And I was thinking in another solution, one used on a custom BMW R nine T made by Bratstye. an external fuel indicator

I like that! That's darn clever.

I stick with the 100 mi. rule myself. and make sure I'm full if I'm going where outside of town where gas stations get more scarce.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 10/15/14 at 17:56:47

I sure don't see the advantage in making the fuel screen shorter.  Now instead of a 100 mile main tank with a 30 mile reserve....you have a 120 mile main tank and a 10 mile reserve.  I would prefer the extra warning myself......that allows me to ride 20 miles farther than you before I have to start pushing!  In the rural areas....you might need the 30 mile range.

(Actually....I put on a larger tank and I can go 160 miles before I hit reserve).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savskad

Be the best you can
be

Austin, TX
Reply #35 - 10/15/14 at 18:51:15

Dave wrote on 10/15/14 at 17:56:47:
I sure don't see the advantage in making the fuel screen shorter.  Now instead of a 100 mile main tank with a 30 mile reserve....you have a 120 mile main tank and a 10 mile reserve.  I would prefer the extra warning myself......that allows me to ride 20 miles farther than you before I have to start pushing!  In the rural areas....you might need the 30 mile range.

(Actually....I put on a larger tank and I can go 160 miles before I hit reserve).

I didn't quite understand the point of the shortening of the tube myself either. The second mod would make sense if done properly or nicely.

2014 Suzuki Boulevard S40

The views and opinions expressed on this post reply are solely the opinion of savskad, no disrespect is ever intended, unless otherwise specified.
Wink
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #36 - 10/15/14 at 19:47:36

The idea is to lower maximize the ride without having to change to reserve.

You could ride always in reserve although. But for me, I prefer to ride a little longer without changing it to reserve, and also when this happens I will know I am low on fuel.

Of course I would like the tank had a sensor and a gauge.

On the other hand, the second solution is more visual but I would think twice before start to making holes in my tank.

Greetings!

Forgot to mention. compared to other motorcycles I owned, in this I need to chance to reserve to quicky, when the tank is at half.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #37 - 10/15/14 at 20:09:21

You don't need a hole in your tank.

Put a T in the fuel line, a couple stick-on mounts, clear hose, done.  Biggest problem is how to vent the top  of the hose without spills or letting in bugs, water, etc.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #38 - 10/15/14 at 21:52:36

Steve H wrote on 10/15/14 at 20:09:21:

Put a T in the fuel line, a couple stick-on mounts, clear hose, done.  Biggest problem is how to vent the top  of the hose without spills or letting in bugs, water, etc.

Nice Idea!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #39 - 10/16/14 at 01:36:46

Steve H wrote on 10/15/14 at 20:09:21:

You are actually advertising how much gas is in your tank to the local youths... I see...  Huh

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #40 - 10/16/14 at 01:43:46

Anyway, you might consider this alternative for a gas cap

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/9-inch-Gauge-Gas-Cap/4465793/product.htm...

They once sold the 6" and 12" versions, too. Can't get any simpler than this...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #41 - 10/16/14 at 05:13:47

Albert Verdugo wrote on 10/15/14 at 19:47:36:

Forgot to mention. compared to other motorcycles I owned, in this I need to chance to reserve to quicky, when the tank is at half.

On the Kentucky back roads......30 miles between stations in the rural areas is not uncommon.

If you have to switch to reserve at half a tank......it sounds like you are about ready to need a switch to the manual Raptor petcock.  The diaphragm in your stock petcock must not be working properly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #42 - 10/16/14 at 10:30:07

After you ride it for a while you can tell when you're getting close to running out, then can switch to reserve on the fly.  

I rather like having about 1/4 tank as reserve.  My most common m/c commute is 30 rural miles with a gas station at either end and none in between; if I can make the first mile before switching to res. I can be pretty sure I'll make it.  (Though I ride pretty gently in that case.)

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #43 - 10/16/14 at 12:20:12

Dave wrote on 10/16/14 at 05:13:47:
Albert Verdugo wrote on 10/15/14 at 19:47:36:

On the Kentucky back roads......30 miles between stations in the rural areas is not uncommon.

If you have to switch to reserve at half a tank......it sounds like you are about ready to need a switch to the manual Raptor petcock.  The diaphragm in your stock petcock must not be working properly.  

I was thinking about that. tanks for mention it. It is probably the problem I have ( i was reading about this solution here in this forum)

And it is a cheap solution also Wink

IP Logged
Albert Verdugo

Riding is freedom!

Baja California
Reply #44 - 10/16/14 at 12:21:22

mpescatori wrote on 10/16/14 at 01:43:46:
Anyway, you might consider this alternative for a gas cap

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/4465793/9-inch-Gauge-Gas-Cap-P12416375...

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/9-inch-Gauge-Gas-Cap/4465793/product.htm...

They once sold the 6" and 12" versions, too. Can't get any simpler than this...

Do you have one of this on your Bike?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:01:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › s40 Fuel Gauge?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.