Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Diagnosing backfire/loss of power (Read 168 times)
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Diagnosing backfire/loss of power
10/22/14 at 13:23:47

Hello.  I'm having a little trouble finding the source of my problems.  I keep getting massive backfire and loss of power.  Sometimes it's only above 1/4 throttle, usually idle is fine.  The problem is intermittent, some days it works fine.  

I've cleaned the carb a few times within the last couple weeks, each time with minimal results.  I've also cleaned out the gas tank and added an in-line fuel filter.  

I last tuned the carb when it was around 80F outside.  Now it's a regular 60-70F.  I was at 2.5 turns out, now I'm maxed out at 3.5ish.  The effect was minimal if any.  The jets are stock for an 86.  I have an aftermarket cone style air filter and the stock muffler.

I've replaced the spark plug.  The old one was fine upon inspection but I did this just because I had no idea how old it was.

As for intake/exhaust leaks, I'm fairly confidant my intake is not leaking.  Earlier this week (problem had already started) I wrapped my exhaust just for looks.  I found that the exhaust header bolts were't torqued very tightly.  I also did not replace the gasket when re-installing.  I didn't think this could be my problem since sometimes the bike runs totally fine.  Also, it ran fine for months since the last time I messed with the exhaust.

One last scary issue - A couple times I've tried to start the bike recently the starter didn't spin and I could hear something arc over.  That's a recent development but it only happens rarely and when it happens it doesn't seems to have trouble idling after starting.  

THANKS!

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Diagnosing backfire/loss of power
Reply #1 - 10/22/14 at 13:38:08

NCSUindy09 wrote on 10/22/14 at 13:23:47:
Hello.  I'm having a little trouble finding the source of my problems.  I keep getting massive backfire and loss of power.  Sometimes it's only above 1/4 throttle, usually idle is fine.  The problem is intermittent, some days it works fine.  

Is that loss of power then backfire and return of power?

I think you're problem is electrical.

WWW   IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #2 - 10/22/14 at 13:59:05

Yeah.  It loses power then I'll get a few good pows and then get my power back.

1986 Savage, 18k Miles. Cone air filter, drilled & wrapped exhaust. Stock carb and jets. Daily commute bike.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/22/14 at 14:12:45

I think your problem is electrical.

there are a few things to check...
does your heel ever hit the kick stand?
hit your highbeam and see if the blue light comes on. (general power check)
Or turn the signals on since you might be headed to the curb anyway.
check your ground by the oil level check window.
check the battery terms.

WWW   IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #4 - 10/22/14 at 14:37:40

I think you're right.  I had a sketchy mess of wires between my signal generator and my battery terminal.  I checked them and the connections were good but they were extremely nasty.  I cleaned them up and took a quick test ride.  I didn't get any backfire.  I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/22/14 at 15:28:49

The search engine on this site just doesnt seem to work for me at all anymore.  Seems to search back like 2 days and thats it.

Anyways, I had some issues like that a few months back and found that by wrapping my exhaust the trapped heat caused the inner exhaust pipe on the header to crack loose and was messing with the exhaust flow and the way it was running.

I had pictures and everything, but Ill be darned if I can bring up that post from a few months ago.

An external sign may be if the wrap is getting hot enough at the header bolts to melt the  inside of the wrap to glass.  

When you said you had wrapped the exhaust I thought Id throw that in there.

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #6 - 10/22/14 at 15:39:19

Thanks.  I had the problem before I wrapped it though.  There was no significant change before/after.  I can't rule it out yet though

After going on a longer ride I had troubles again.  It seemed to only happen after the bike had warmed up significantly.  Before I started getting bad  backfire I noticed a little popping and crackling.  I think I may be on the lean side of things.  

After I got it to happen more consistently I sat there and watched my neutral and turn signal lights.  They would dim while it backfired but didn't ever turn all the way off.  Is that normal? Lower RPM or even a change in RPM changing voltage on the lights by a small amount.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #7 - 10/22/14 at 15:53:49

check your battery voltage with the bike running and without

and hopefully at 14k miles you have had the am chain tensioner checked

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/22/14 at 15:54:22

NCSUindy09 wrote on 10/22/14 at 15:39:19:
After I got it to happen more consistently I sat there and watched my neutral and turn signal lights.  They would dim while it backfired but didn't ever turn all the way off.  Is that normal? Lower RPM or even a change in RPM changing voltage on the lights by a small amount.

If the lights are dimming that either you gotta short, bad connection or the battery is near death.  Take your pick.

WWW   IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #9 - 10/22/14 at 16:34:07

Ok thanks.  I'll check that out over the weekend.  

And yeah I made myself a "verslavy" to deal with the cam chain.  I didn't ask his permission so dont tell verslagen  Tongue

IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #10 - 10/28/14 at 12:32:20

Hey, resurrecting my old thread.  I cleaned all the connectors I could get to with some electronics cleaner.  I went to the auto parts store to have the battery tested.  They hooked it up to the positive terminal and the brake lever.  I actually told them to just use the brake lever because thats where I hook it up if I ever have to jump it.  Pretty soon after I got some smoke coming from the decomp. controller area.  We unhooked the battery tester and everything seemed to work just as it had before.

Still no results on the battery.

I also changed the oil and found out I only had ~450mL.  I'm still getting the loss of power and backfire.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/28/14 at 12:54:16

NCSUindy09 wrote on 10/28/14 at 12:32:20:
They hooked it up to the positive terminal and the brake lever.  I actually told them to just use the brake lever because thats where I hook it up if I ever have to jump it.

Aluminum is either painted or plated, both don't conduct electricity well.
Then you're going thru 2 flex joints, not known for positive contact.
better to connect to any bolt on the frame.  I use the 2 that bolt the starter on.  That way if you burn them they're easily replaced.
Quote:
 Pretty soon after I got some smoke coming from the decomp. controller area.

Smoke is not good.  you've let some out, now you got to replace it.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/28/14 at 15:40:57

450ml is half a quart... you have an engine for long if do that...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
NCSUindy09

Rollin'

Reply #13 - 10/28/14 at 15:59:18

Yeah I must be burning it  because there's no way I'm leaking that much that fast.  It hasn't been long since I changed the oil.  

On another note: What's this?  It's the decompression solenoid controller right?  How important is it?  How can I test it?  And is it bad that there's a hole in it and a crack going along the top?  Grin

Capture.PNG

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 10/28/14 at 16:06:43

NCSUindy09 wrote on 10/28/14 at 15:59:18:
On another note: What's this?  It's the decompression solenoid controller right?  How important is it?  How can I test it?  And is it bad that there's a hole in it and a crack going along the top?

Decomp control... correct.
It actuates the decomp, spins the starter, and releases the decomp.
I believe it also checks the safeties.
Not actually waterproof, several on here have filled with water and failed.
some spin the starter (starting in the middle of the night ain't good) and some just don't work.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:49:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Diagnosing backfire/loss of power

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.