Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil pumps disengaging due to bad clutch assembly (Read 1040 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Oil pumps disengaging due to bad clutch assembly
06/29/09 at 21:38:05

Stimpy and I have discovered what may be a previous owner clutch re-assembly related symptom that can be fairly easily checked out when doing a Verslagen cam chain tensioner protrusion check.  

If you are able to move your oil pump gear "forwards" on the shaft until the gearing disengages then you need to stop and fix the issue before proceeding.

You may find as I did that a previous clutch repair job resulted in the flanged gear on the back of the clutch basket being put in incorrectly (backwards & possibly missing the pin too).   Strange, but it happens as the pin is completely invisible behind the clutch basket and it falls out and rolls into the rabbit holes that go to the center of the cases ....

==========================

Let's start with what started the chain of failure -- the oil pump/clutch basket engagement assembly.  The main symptom of this error is a moveable engagement at the oil pump gear, it can move forward on the shaft, disengage from the mating clutch basket gear and free wheel (not catch any drive force from the motor movement).  

This means no oil moves even though the engine is spinning at highway speed.   Instant death -- this would be sudden and quick the very first time the oil pump disengaged at highway speed.

=================

The results of the oil pump disengaging would very very quickly look like this:

Also, the cylinder bore is scored and the cam lobes are shot.   Serenity made a good call to go buy him an engine off a wrecked bike as the parts alone to fix this baby would be more than the wrecked bike engine.

I am going to go into it deep enough to understand what failed to allow the oil pump to disengage like this.

« Last Edit: 07/02/09 at 18:04:17 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Re: What killed Serenity's motor
Reply #1 - 06/29/09 at 22:33:46

jiji, looks familiar   Cheesy

my old 2006 thread w/similar problem + hi-res pics:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1158030160/0#0

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/30/09 at 03:34:00

(Ha, this will teach me to think or talk before disassembling and actually looking -- I thought the issue was totally in the wear level of the oil pump when it also had some elements of incorrect assembly to it that won't show up for another post or two)

=======

Stimpy, what was mis-assembled on your oil pump?

We got people pulling their side covers to check their cam chain tensioner every 10,000 miles or so -- I think they should stick out their finger and hook it underneath the oil pump gear and see if they can finagle it to move forward and try to disengage the driving gears.

This check should be added to the Verslagen tensioner check drill -- I'll get up with him to see if he can add it.

« Last Edit: 07/02/09 at 05:15:31 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Re: Oil pumps disengaging and killing engines -- n
Reply #3 - 06/30/09 at 05:06:35

I'll be checking it when I look at the clutch rod.  Good Call there Oldfeller.

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/30/09 at 08:28:23

So a solution would be to put a spring behind it ? spring in front of it ?
I dont remember what that part looked like on mine. But its a worthwhile check.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 06/30/09 at 09:53:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/30/09 at 03:34:00:
I think they should stick out their finger and hook it underneath the oil pump gear and see if they can finagle it to move forward and try to disengage the driving gears.

Significant forward motion, even it the gears don't actually disengage should be an item of "let's fix it now" concern.   If those gears actually move forward and separate, you got a lunched engine.

Which way is the bad movement?  Axially?  How much movement seems to be OK and how much is too much?...is any movement at all troublesome?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/30/09 at 13:52:41

If you don't have back pressure on a engine you will have problems like that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 06/30/09 at 14:18:44

PT, you will have to wait until I split the cases for an analysis of the source of this issue or any idea of how to fix it.  

Right now the oil pump gear moves out axially on the oil pump shaft, literally until it disengages the mating gear on the clutch basket and the oil pump gear then free wheels, getting no drive action from the clutch gear rotation motion.  

If I was guessing, I'd hazard a guess at some wear related issue inside the oil pump itself, possibly combined with a loose fastener or two.  But that guess would be way premature -- no facts yet, just a death symptom you can finger check for.

Bill, I haven't a clue as to the possible association between back pressure on the exhaust system and worn/loose oil pump assemblies.  Ya got me, I dunno.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 06/30/09 at 14:46:38

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/30/09 at 14:18:44:
PT, you will have to wait until I split the cases for an analysis of the source of this issue or any idea of how to fix it.  

Right now the oil pump gear moves out axially on the oil pump shaft, literally until it disengages the mating gear on the clutch basket and the oil pump gear then free wheels, getting no drive action from the clutch gear rotation motion.  

If I was guessing, I'd hazard a guess at some wear related issue inside the oil pump itself, possibly combined with a loose fastener or two.  But that guess would be way premature -- no facts yet, just a death symptom you can finger check for.

Bill, I haven't a clue as to the possible association between back pressure on the exhaust system and worn/loose oil pump assemblies.  Ya got me, I dunno.

Maybe another possible cause for this is retaining nut on clutch basket backing out letting clutch basket move just enough to let pump gear back out? Just spitballing here, have no clue if that could even happen.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/01/09 at 08:42:23

OleFeller/Bill If I'm not mistaken, back pressure is the term used for exhaust pressure - a tighter exhaust can - non free flowing one has more back pressure they say.
OK so how would that cause these 2 to slide out and get away from one another ... no idea.

Yonuh: - The clutch basket retaining nut if it ever comes loose will cause such a ruckus the instant it does - ever bit of the bike's power as well as all of its vibrations and thumping all course through there.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/01/09 at 09:07:24

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 06/30/09 at 14:18:44:

If the oil pump gear is moving ON the shaft that goes back to the pump, and the shaft itself is not moving, then it looks like it could be missing the circlip that holds the gear in place on the shaft.
(Pull up your favorite Micro-fiche site, Item#5 on the Oil Pump Diagram).
Without the circlip, maybe the gear can slide far enough out along the shaft to disengage from the drive gear, (or from the pin on the shaft (Item# 3)) but can't slide far enough out to fall off the shaft because the gear bumps the clutch basket.

IF the shaft is moving as well as the gear, then you are.. in big doo doo.   It would mean the pump is very very loose to the case, or busted.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 07/01/09 at 09:53:16

I know this is cause for concern but my question is how many Savages have actually had this oil pump failure, in the grand scheme of things? I know the cam chain tensioner is well documented for potential failure anywhere after 16000 + miles. I will definitely check mine, but am just curious on whether or not this is an anomaly and not a chronic condition with Savages in general.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 07/01/09 at 10:08:59

On a GS500 the oil pump drive gear is on a shaft with a nice pin across it, and there is no more shaft, it ends in the gear - almost. Maybe  1/4 to 1/8th inch. If you lose that pin and its a nice fat one that holds the gear center to the shaft, the gear will move a 1/4 or less and drop off into the bottom of the clucth cover, catch a million things on the way and make a racket, or get propelled out of that cluch case. That is a cheap and easy part to change, if it get powered to the inside that = busted inside cases - dead motor - maybe not, but really really bad.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 07/01/09 at 12:13:25

I went out and bought the 32mm and 30mm socket so I could pull the clutch basket and the cam chain gear.

Once the related mating gearing was removed, the worn oil pump will allow the entire shaft (circlip is sound and in place) to move 0.078" axially.  The worn oil pump will allow the gear to tilt 0.032"  There is a total of over 0.100" of travel/slop in the gear/circlip/shaft/oil pump assembly.

=========  chicken or the egg, which came first?   =========

Here comes the chicken and the egg scenario though -- the flanged gear behind the clutch basket was incorrectly oriented.  I do not think disengagement of the gearing such as I saw is possible unless the flanged gear was in backwards like it was.

Double on the egg side of things -- the flange gear locating pin could not be easily assembled the way the gear was put in place (the pin was completely missing).

You can check your oil pump for large amounts of lateral play to keep tabs on its total wear amount, but I DOUBT many of us will have the free wheeling disengagement issue that I saw as it is also due to mis-assembly of components.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Oil pumps disengaging due to bad user assembly
Reply #14 - 07/01/09 at 16:36:10

So you are saying that the hidden gear was installed backwards and because of that the retainer pin wasn't or couldn't be installed. This caused the gear to drift out on the shaft and disengage the oil pump drive gear and snap crackle pop, no oil pressure and a lunched motor. There's a moral to this, if you have a part left over you had better figure out where it came from when working on a engine.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 02:07:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil pumps disengaging due to bad clutch assembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.