Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Oil pumps disengaging due to bad clutch assembly (Read 1040 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Oil pumps disengaging due to bad user assembly
Reply #15 - 07/02/09 at 05:07:29

Ed, the flange gear being installed backwards moved the gear portion of the flange gear out of correct position by over half of the total gear width of engagement to the oil pump.

The worn oil pump had enough "drift" to complete the disengagement.

There are holes to the inside of the case assembly that are readily available to eat that little pin should it drop free during disassembly.   This may have been what happened.  

I will split the cases looking for the little pin as I am concerned as to its whereabouts.

==================

You have to take the clutch basket off to change your clutch plates.  Screwing up the orientation of this one part during that relatively straight-forward repair can kill your engine.

This is unfortunately true for MANY small components lying about this engine.  Ripping something apart should be done slowly and notes taken and permanent sharpie pen reference marks made so correct orientation of parts is maintained upon re-assembly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #16 - 07/02/09 at 09:13:29

Ed L. wrote on 07/01/09 at 16:36:10:
So you are saying that the hidden gear was installed backwards and because of that the retainer pin wasn't or couldn't be installed. This caused the gear to drift out on the shaft and disengage the oil pump drive gear and snap crackle pop, no oil pressure and a lunched motor. There's a moral to this, if you have a part left over you had better figure out where it came from when working on a engine.  

I am the faulty assembler being discussed in this thread.  When I put everything back together, I didn't have any parts left over, although a circlip or pin evidently got lost.  Having read Oldfeller's findings, it is obvious to me that this incorrect reassembly led to the engine failure.  I don't even think there was a problem with the oil pump itself, just that it was not being rotated by the gear.

However, I will point out that this is the engine that I rode for 51,000 miles with only scheduled maintenance and a few minor external mechanical repairs.  So I'm good at making things last.  I was not so good at tearing them apart and putting them back together.  But I didn't have the benefit of the pool of wisdom on this website then, either!  I still plan to do my own wrenching! Tongue

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 07/02/09 at 09:36:34

Oh - you 2 are on either side of me in charlotte. And more ironic - I bought a savage in fayetteville this past St patty's day and parts for  my sv1000 the month before in hickory.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #18 - 07/02/09 at 09:53:19

Cool - you're in Charlotte?  My daughter lives down there.  PM me with your phone number and I'll try to get together with you sometime!

.......serenity3743 (Guy)

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #19 - 07/02/09 at 12:06:24

Hi all!

Stimpy, what was mis-assembled on your oil pump?

The problem itself was a series of events that lead to noticeable power
loss about a year after buying my 97' w/only 3k miles on it back in
2004 (which was cheap for a reason as I soon found out) ... all was
caused mainly by overheating due to unmonitored low oil level and
very probably a bad break-in period by uncaring original owner (who
I never met or talked to), but the engine never ceased, just lost power.

The oil pump problem, it seems, was the same as yours and was working
only some of the time, or very inefficiently, as we disassembled the
engine to change the stretched timing chain and other parts that were
allready damaged prior to my purchase the oil pump and sprocket
looked normal, but on second inspection we noticed that it was put on
backwards according to our diagram and was missing a washer, at the
time could not figure out how this could affect the oil flow since it DID
seem to engage ...now we now it moves if not perfectly installed!

In any air cooled machine, efficient oil flow is EVERYTHING

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 07/02/09 at 15:44:16

I finally got my hindsight to working here, so forgive me for fumbling around a bit on this thread.

There are many many small parts to our scooters.   Some of them like the pin in question on the clutch basket gear flange are like 1/8" diameter and about twice that long (smaller than your little finger nail).

Serenity, that little pin was behind the entire clutch basket -- how in the world could you possibly see it drop out of position?  It dropped out of the hole & slot and down the rabbit hole into the center of the case before the clutch basket even finished moving forward on the shaft on its first trip to the work table.  

You never had a chance.

Toymaker is getting ready to do his clutch -- this is one of the reasons I bother to even write all this tread up like this.

Toymaker, FIRST THING stuff paper towels into all the rabbit holes going to the center of the crank case so a loose pin or circlip or jamming penny will stay out where you can see it.

Get your sharpie laundry pen out and mark everything for witness marks as you take it apart.  Put all associated parts in the same baggie.  Write notes on your Clymers manual to fill in all the grotesque information gaps they leave as they tell you "remove clutch basket, don't lose the locating pin".

« Last Edit: 10/22/09 at 09:47:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Oil pumps disengaging due to bad clutch assemb
Reply #21 - 07/03/09 at 12:37:53

I've mis-assembled more than one motor in my time, if you don't know if a part is missing or dropped into a rabbit hole during assembly it really isn't your fault. 51K on an engine before a rebuild is respectable. Looks like another quirk we all need to look out for.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #22 - 07/03/09 at 18:55:34

Yup, since clutch repair jobs are probably not uncommon on the Savage, and it appears you have to remove the basket to do it, knowing to watch for the oil pump drive assembly falling apart during disassembly is critical information!

Great call guys. Besides adding it to the cam chain adjustment checklist, it might call for it's own warning in the tech section to people in the process of repairing their clutch.

I know that I've come to rely on the tech section here more than the manuals before attacking anything requiring disassembly on my Savages. Between two manuals; a picture CD; and the tech section here; my 30+ years as a mechanic and electrical tech give me a fair shot at getting a job done right the first time!  Roll Eyes Grin

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 07/03/09 at 20:31:14

Hmmmm ... can you see me scratching my head from there.  

I bought my '01 with a dead engine.  I had to take the lowwer end apart to clean and look for aluminum flakes from the melted piston.   I also took the oil pump apart to check for clearences, which I found out we don't have. Sad  But it met the spec for my old Honda so I put it back together.  

I recall that the orientation of the pump gear was one of those "oh sh.t" moments of "which way did it come off".  BUT ... I vaguely remember that on my '01, if installed backwards , there were "fit" issues.     I'm scratching my head trying to remember what the issue was.  I think it either rubbed or it wasn't  aligned with the drive gear very well.  Leaning torwards the rubbing thought.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #24 - 07/03/09 at 20:53:04

Just to cause more doubt and confusion: There is that little ratchet-like "starter limiter" gear assy and associated gear inside the opposite engine side cover, and I'd never have gotten it back together right the first time I was in there if I hadn't taken MY OWN digital pictures as I disassembled that stuff to change the stator assy.

Actually, for no more parts than a Savage has; there are a remarkable number of ways to put it back together wrong; or at least make a mistake that can soon prove catastrophic.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 07/04/09 at 09:53:28

I guess my biggest "learning" lately is how many of our older how-to supporting pictures in Photobucket have bit the dust lately.

We had better stuff to go by way back then.

How can we get long term support for our pictures that we put into tech threads?

If we can't figure out a good answer to that question, then we do have a long term problem communicating these little Savage twitches.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #26 - 07/04/09 at 10:11:58

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/04/09 at 09:53:28:
I guess my biggest "learning" lately is how many of our older how-to supporting pictures in Photobucket have bit the dust lately.

How can we get long term support for our pictures that we put into tech threads?

If we can't figure out a good answer to that question, then we do have a long term problem communicating these little Savage twitches.

Pay for storage.  Any site that has free stoarage is only short term.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 07/04/09 at 16:00:36

You guys have me worried now. Ive had the basket ioff, to do the chain. I dont 'member Nuthin about no pin..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #28 - 07/04/09 at 16:35:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/04/09 at 09:53:28:

I use myspace to host my pictures and there isn't a time limit on photo storage. If you have a myspace account, just create an album for nothing but the pictures you want to put here and host them that way.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 10/22/09 at 09:41:32

Here is a new way to kill your engine by oil starvation.  Simply buy the wrong side cover gasket (or try to make a gasket off a wrong pattern).

What happens here is the oil flow is not contained in the side cover gallery and is not delivered to the head passage or to the transmission passage.  It oozes back down the side of the case to the sump.

Dead engine shortly thereafter.

(not my motor, somebody elses -- thank goodness)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 23:39:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil pumps disengaging due to bad clutch assembly

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.