Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
carb jetting- a progressive guide (Read 6489 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: carb jetting- a progressive guide
Reply #30 - 03/09/10 at 09:56:39

Savage_Amusement wrote on 03/09/10 at 09:49:28:
Which jet or whatever is used when you turn the throttle just a little bit? Mine bogs down real hard in that first little bit of a twist then seems to even out further after that. It is making me crazy lol.

OK, fess up, what did you do?
pilot jet size, main jet size, needle spacer?
Check that your main jet is tight and there's a washer under it.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #31 - 03/09/10 at 10:04:25

It has been so long that I can't remember what is in there. I have a cone filter, and dyna muffler with a hole drilled in the middle of it. I have taken a little bit off the spacer but not a lot. I can tell it is to rich in that first 1/4 of a twist though, it smokes and has turned my brake lever on the rear black.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 03/09/10 at 11:19:27

"I have taken a little bit off the spacer but not a lot.  I can tell it is to rich in that first 1/4 of a twist though, it smokes and has turned my brake lever on the rear black. "

A bit rich eh?  1st guess would be to take the spacer back to stock thickness and probably go back 1 increment on the main jet.
The spacer should make it consistent throughout the throttle range.

While you're in there, check to see if you got a washer under the jet.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #33 - 03/10/10 at 11:47:57

I know there is a washer under it, but it might have holes in it, the jet not the washer lol.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #34 - 03/17/10 at 21:40:37

Alright today I broke it open.

Pilot: 55
Main: 150
Spacer:3/4

I turned in the mix screw a little and it helped some. After reading more about the start of this thread I'm going to drop back down to a 52.5 pilot, I think that is where I was to rich.

IP Logged
coldair
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 06/02/10 at 13:50:05

im around 7000 feet and higher. I had to go down a jet size form stock. I couldnt even get 70 mph tops was 65mph after i did that i can now hit 80 to 85 mph.

IP Logged
BC-Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 04/28/11 at 09:40:25

Hi Guys;
Love this forum. You're going to make a Suzuki lover out of me yet. I say that because my first Susuki was a 94 RM250 which broke down on me every ride.
Anyway, I picked up a cheap 86 Savage in most part because of the Positive review and tech tips available on this sight.
So thanks to all the Savage enthusiasts here!
That being said, my Little custom savage is nearing the limit I will take it and....I love it. I am so happy with it, my friends are predicting I won’t sell it as originally planned. They might be right, as long as I can come up with a convincing story for the wife...
So to my point...I do read alot about the Backfire, and oh boy does my Savage comply. So loud and sharp I not only scare the riders behind me, but myself too at times.
So the fix seems easy, Adjust the air Mixture screw, and then look to remove the white spacer and possibly re-jet.
My question: Before I dig into this carb, was the white spacer part of every year’s carb? I read in these blogs that it was emission control which might have been some time after 86. I also question that because I am certain the Air Mixture screw was not factory capped either.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #37 - 05/14/11 at 17:41:15

ok i screwwed up and deleted a PM from Lancer regarding tuning ym carb with the JETSET...the bike is 1996, 9700 miles - stock carb, airbox and filter - stock header (wrapped), Jardine slash cut muffler - some snap crackle pop on decel and gear changes, LOUD bang at shut down - i drilled out the brash plug and removed - turned the air/fuel screw 1/2 turn CCW....now which jets do i start with? I think he said 52 & 152.5 anyone want to confiurm that or correct me. I want to do the jet changes tomorrow if possible.

thanks for your help

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 05/14/11 at 18:06:46

Those don't sound wrong.
But simple testing will confirm.
On the idle jet, if the screw is out 3 turns or more, go up in size.
On the main jet, at full throttle accel, if you can back off an 1/8 turn and it seems to pick up, go 1 size up.

you'll never get rid of the snap crackle pop on decel (you lucky sob)
but shutdown pop and shift pop it can be done.

WWW   IP Logged
OE

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Panama City, FL
Reply #39 - 05/14/11 at 19:40:10

BC-Savage wrote on 04/28/11 at 09:40:25:
My question: Before I dig into this carb, was the white spacer part of every year’s carb? I read in these blogs that it was emission control which might have been some time after 86. I also question that because I am certain the Air Mixture screw was not factory capped either.

I can confirm that on my 86 the white spacer is present.  I don't think anyone would have added the spacer after the fact.  The mixture screw wasn't capped but it was obvious someone had been messing with it because the slot was screwed up.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #40 - 05/15/11 at 09:50:03

ok i did it - most of it - 52 & 152.5 - 1/2 turn CCW on the air fuel screw after removing the brass plug - idle screw remained in the same position - could not do the white spacer/washer mod - not comfortable digging that far in to the carb - has better more smooth acceleration - still crackles on decel - no shift pops - good mid range power - good 3 thru 5th gear accel - no bogging or hesitations in any gear but still BANGS on shut down ( is that the result of not doing the white spacer mod?)

more to it than i t6hought - had to take out the battery and remove the air box hose to get the carb out - could not see the slot on the 147 jet with the carb in the bike - did not want to booger it up so took the carb out to work on it.

there was a spacer on the 50 jet and i put it back on the 52 jet when i installed it.

glad i did it from a performance standpoint - would like the shut down BANG to go a way though.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 05/15/11 at 10:04:07

give the idle mixture another 1/8 turn or more till just poofs.

WWW   IP Logged
splitting_lanes
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 06/27/11 at 17:13:15

does anyone have a picture of the spacer that is referred too?

how does one get a 1/2 spacer?

is the spacer located under the main jet?

my GF's savage has a bog just off the line in first gear, then it picks up.  I think it's a midrange circuit.....  seems to be rich enough on the bottom after adjusting the screw out to 3 turns.  suggestions?

thanks in advance!

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 06/28/11 at 07:20:07

splitting_lanes wrote on 06/27/11 at 17:13:15:
does anyone have a picture of the spacer that is referred too?

how does one get a 1/2 spacer?

is the spacer located under the main jet?

my GF's savage has a bog just off the line in first gear, then it picks up.  I think it's a midrange circuit.....  seems to be rich enough on the bottom after adjusting the screw out to 3 turns.  suggestions?

thanks in advance!

I have even better than a picture. Check out this you tube video from RYCA motors. The video walks you through the white spacer mod and also how to change jets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFFuF9QZ4IM

IP Logged
Halvor

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Norway
Reply #44 - 05/23/12 at 13:59:55

Thanks a lot!!! This really helped me. THis have avaken the beast and doubled the force when over half throttle. I took out the carb today and expected a 145 main and a 52,5 pilot, but guess what!!! It had at 125 main and a 47,5 pilot!!!!!! Crazy. I guess it have been power restricted for a middle heavy class type motorsycle. A special system in norway where new and young drivers have only 30HP. This is the explanation for not responding at all before over half throttle. I made a speed record on the first small straight section I tested it.

I have a quite open mufflle (viper fish tail 22) and have installed a 44mm baffle to silence it a bit. I have stock air filter, but have removed the rubber intake wich I belive restrict the flow alot. I started out in the table in the first post with a 150-55-and 3whashers=1/2 spacer + 1/2 mixture. It worked excellent, but I had some shift pops and some pops on sudden shut down. Allso engine turn off poof. I looked in the table again and adjusted mix to 3/4. All pops anp poofs where gone. Even if I did my best to make them, there were no poofs.

This carb mod have really made the bike new. It runns so good that it is no need for moore power with such a frame ,sitting position dampers etc.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!!

bilde3.JPG

Savage 96, Enfield muffler. Lowered forks. Progressive springs Drag bar. big head light. GL1000 fender. small back light. Black. mini turn lamps, vm36 180-20. o2 sensor ! K&N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 05:36:23

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › carb jetting- a progressive guide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.