Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
carb jetting- a progressive guide (Read 6489 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: carb jetting- a progressive guide
Reply #15 - 06/11/09 at 11:53:35

John_D FSO wrote on 06/11/09 at 04:55:24:
Good info.  I'm running the Dyna muffler, with the stock filter, and 2 washers on the needle.  May have to look at removing them and see how it runs.  

Sounds good.  I should clarify though, that my carb is a stock '05, so the main jet is a 145.  If your main is bigger than that, you might leave one of your washers in, and start with the pilot screw at 2.25 turns, since diamond jim has shown that the larger mains affect the mid and low range too.

I hate to go to a K&N, just because I've heard horror stories of people getting things gummed up (overoiling maybe).  Is there a dry filter that flows better, besides cutting down an automotive filter?

I've not heard of a dry paper filter less restrictive than a K&N, automotive or not.  For what it's worth, I have not had any gumming so far with the filter oiled as it came from the factory, plus some extra around the seal.  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #16 - 06/11/09 at 13:51:21

Boule’tard wrote on 06/11/09 at 11:53:35:
Good info.  I'm running the Dyna muffler, with the stock filter, and 2 washers on the needle.  May have to look at removing them and see how it runs.  

Sounds good.  I should clarify though, that my carb is a stock '05, so the main jet is a 145.  If your main is bigger than that, you might leave one of your washers in, and start with the pilot screw at 2.25 turns, since diamond jim has shown that the larger mains affect the mid and low range too.

I hate to go to a K&N, just because I've heard horror stories of people getting things gummed up (overoiling maybe).  Is there a dry filter that flows better, besides cutting down an automotive filter?

I've not heard of a dry paper filter less restrictive than a K&N, automotive or not.  For what it's worth, I have not had any gumming so far with the filter oiled as it came from the factory, plus some extra around the seal.  

Cool, as far as I know my main is a 145, as long as that's what came stock in '08.
My only concern with the K&N was the gumming, as it seems the slide would be particularly succeptable to that.  As long as a guy doesn't hose it down though, that's probably avoidable.  Have to start shopping around for a filter maybe. Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 06/16/09 at 21:33:37

Boule’tard wrote on 06/09/09 at 18:35:38:
Update!  My K&N filter came in the mail today and I just had to try it. While I was checking over the airbox, header joints, etc. I found a tiny leak between the header and muffler. So I fixed the leak, installed the K&N, and took it for a spin.  This time there was no after-firing at all, and the lean-pops pretty much went away with the pilot screw 2.5 turns out. Go figure.. I uncork the airbox somewhat, went full turn leaner on the screw, no loud pops, it still runs cooler than stock.  So this setup works with the stock carb:

dyna muffler
K&N panel filter
no spacer
screw 2.5 turns out

From this I learned that either the dyna muffler likes to be paired with less drag on the intake (you gotta uncork both ends anyway) and the smallest little exhaust leak will cause after-firing unless you crank the pilot as rich as it will go.

This setup will be more than fine for now.. until I get my hands on one of those Lancer super-carb kits.  Cheesy

Good info.  I'm running the Dyna muffler, with the stock filter, and 2 washers on the needle.  May have to look at removing them and see how it runs.  I hate to go to a K&N, just because I've heard horror stories of people getting things gummed up (overoiling maybe).  Is there a dry filter that flows better, besides cutting down an automotive filter?

Yes there is.  I had a number of them made last year, and I liked them.  I had one returned due to cracking aroung the flange end, but had sold about 50-60 of them so figured it was a one off situation.  If I can find the info on them I will post it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 06/17/09 at 05:44:33

Problem with any very high flowing dry air filter is that it lets all the little airborn dust crap go right on through and into your engine, where it winds up in your oil as "recirculating fine lapping compound".

You don't need to go there -- trust me.  Our bikes don't "gunk up" from filter oil -- I am the world's Savage expert on the over oiling of air filters and what it does (or does not do) to your carb or your engine.

Max affect of VERY gross over oiling on the Savage is a very temporary throttle lag condition (hesitation or "wonkiness") caused by the heavy oil impeding the vacuum actuated slide temporarily.   This effect only lasts a few days before the gas flow thins out the oil and effectively washes the slide clean again.  

Wonkiness is a TEMPORARY mild perceived performance effect, you can simply wait it out or give the carb a shot of carb cleaner and fix it instantly.  Up to you of course.

All the bad stuff you are reading about on the web about oil and K&N filters is all about emission control systems and sensors.  Over oiling a K&N will kill hundreds of dollars worth of modern emissions control sensors on a modern sports bike -- VERY bad news when it happens and it gets lots & lots of chatter accordingly.

But we ain't got any sensors to kill -- so don't sweat it.

Actually, any residual (thinned out) air filter oil on our CV slides helps it to move better and helps prevent the long term wearing off the black teflon coating, which is actually a good thing for your carb in the long run.

Go worry about something else -- this one isn't going to hurt you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 01/26/10 at 11:18:55

Hi all, I've been looking at the stage 1 kit on ebay (150403664466) Has anyone seen or even used this kit. Its supposed to be all you need to fit a harley exhaust and stop the header glowing. We have had quite a hard winter hear in the UK so I would leave the bike ticking over while I put my gloves etc on. that was The first time I saw my header glowing red  ShockedI nearly ha

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 01/27/10 at 07:53:09

KNOCKDOLIAN wrote on 01/26/10 at 11:18:55:
Hi all, I've been looking at the stage 1 kit on ebay (150403664466) Has anyone seen or even used this kit. Its supposed to be all you need to fit a harley exhaust and stop the header glowing. We have had quite a hard winter hear in the UK so I would leave the bike ticking over while I put my gloves etc on. that was The first time I saw my header glowing red  ShockedI nearly ha

whoa dude; we don't want a red header.  Man, that is freaking hot.
You really need to get that rejetted.
The stage one kit you saw may be what you need but he does not tell you what size jets you will receive so you don't know if they are the size you will need for your specific setup on your bike.
He does include some kind of instruction sheet, though past experience has been that his info is not always accurate.
His kit has 1 pilot jet and 1 main jet + 2 washers for almost $27.

If you wish to consider an alternative, I sell JETSETS for $21.95, shipping included...even to England.

Contents

2 pilot jets:  #52.5 & #55
3 main jets:  #150, #152.5 & #155
3 washers to replace white needle spacer
float bowl gasket

I do not include any instructions.  If needed, there are a lot of helpful instructions in the tech section on this website covering all kinds of variations of mod's on the LS650.
The selection of jets I include will provide all the jets you may need for any stock LS650 setup, muffler replacement of any type, or even a slightly modified engine when still using the stock carb.

If you choose to do so, you can order via Paypal, making payment to "savage.s40@gmail.com"
If necessary, I can send you an invoice with which payment can be made using a credit card.

yea, ok guys, I know, I am shamelessly promoting my JETSET .... guilty   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
mumbles
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston Tx
Reply #21 - 01/28/10 at 07:54:28

KNOCKDOLIAN wrote on 01/26/10 at 11:18:55:

Go with Lancer he'll hook you up with the right jets.

(OK promo's over)  Wink

1995 Savage
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 01/28/10 at 11:34:12

Already ordered them, hope their on the their way. Quick question. Why is the dyner exhaust so popular. Will a sportster one do

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #23 - 01/28/10 at 13:17:27

the dyna exhaust ROCKS!! it fits perfect if you get the right one   loud but not too loud   i can give the part number if needed, for mine  its a straight fit

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 02/10/10 at 10:51:00

Hi all, Well read all the info on carb jetting. Bought myself an after market can not Dyna but a nice slash cut with very little restriction.
K&N filter (open air box for the moment)
I have gone with diamond jim's graph. Stage 5 step13.
The bike started and revved ok but, adjusting the mixture screw has NO effect on on tick over from all the way in to all out. Having removed the screw there seems to be bits missing. Is there always a spring. washer and seal as all these bits are missing. I believe the lack of seal and spring is allowing air past the needle. Is this a fair assumption and what next?
Thanks  

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 02/28/10 at 11:18:06

KNOCKDOLIAN wrote on 02/10/10 at 10:51:00:
Hi all, Well read all the info on carb jetting. Bought myself an after market can not Dyna but a nice slash cut with very little restriction.
K&N filter (open air box for the moment)
I have gone with diamond jim's graph. Stage 5 step13.
The bike started and revved ok but, adjusting the mixture screw has NO effect on on tick over from all the way in to all out. Having removed the screw there seems to be bits missing. Is there always a spring. washer and seal as all these bits are missing. I believe the lack of seal and spring is allowing air past the needle. Is this a fair assumption and what next?
Thanks  

Yes, the pilot air adjusting screw should have a spring, tiny washer and tiny rubber o-ring, with the o-ring on the pointed end that goes in first.
It is necessary to make a good seal inside in order for the screw adjustments to work for you.

IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 03/07/10 at 12:38:42

Well after spending all weekend taking carb off, putting carb on I think im making progress. Thanks mainly to lancer who is a very knowledge and very fine chap. Now then I just want to clarify a couple of things. As far as I know, my wife's bike was stock. Having put a big open exhaust on it, it needed jetting. The original jets were 130 main and 47.5 idle without bleed holes . A 2mm spacer. The needle has three notches with the clip on the middle one. To cut a long story short I now Have 150 main, 2 washers. The only way  I can get a good tick over is to use the 47.5 with bleed holes. 2.5 turns out. If I put the 52.5 in it will tick over but after a rev, it will stall. The 47.5 works except for a loud bang, not pop when you shut off. The header still goes red when on tick over but I now know that it isn't a stock pipe. Its a single skin stainless pipe  so not too worried about that.

So to summarise
150 main
2 washers
47.5 with bleed holes
2.5 turns out
Testing with no filter as I got fed up taking the hose on and off.
All is well except the bang on shut off. So what do I do next. Its close. Please help.      

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #27 - 03/07/10 at 17:57:44

KNOCKDOLIAN wrote on 03/07/10 at 12:38:42:
Well after spending all weekend taking carb off, putting carb on I think im making progress. Thanks mainly to lancer who is a very knowledge and very fine chap. Now then I just want to clarify a couple of things. As far as I know, my wife's bike was stock. Having put a big open exhaust on it, it needed jetting. The original jets were 130 main and 47.5 idle without bleed holes . A 2mm spacer. The needle has three notches with the clip on the middle one. To cut a long story short I now Have 150 main, 2 washers. The only way  I can get a good tick over is to use the 47.5 with bleed holes. 2.5 turns out. If I put the 52.5 in it will tick over but after a rev, it will stall. The 47.5 works except for a loud bang, not pop when you shut off. The header still goes red when on tick over but I now know that it isn't a stock pipe. Its a single skin stainless pipe  so not too worried about that.

So to summarise
150 main
2 washers
47.5 with bleed holes
2.5 turns out
Testing with no filter as I got fed up taking the hose on and off.
All is well except the bang on shut off. So what do I do next. Its close. Please help

Did you try the #50 pilot jet or were you short the #50 when I sent them ?  IF so, I just got my resupply so can send one...let me know

IP Logged
KNOCKDOLIAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 03/08/10 at 09:17:15

Hi lancer. Do you know I was thinking I need a 50 poilet and have been looking. There wasnt one in the kit. If you could send one that would be greate. I can put up with the bang for a while. If you put it in the post and PM me with the price Ill get it off to you soonest.
Thanks againe for all your help. your going on my christmas card list Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #29 - 03/09/10 at 09:49:28

Which jet or whatever is used when you turn the throttle just a little bit? Mine bogs down real hard in that first little bit of a twist then seems to even out further after that. It is making me crazy lol.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 20:49:33

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › carb jetting- a progressive guide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.