Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Kamikaze II intake (Read 1304 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Kamikaze II intake
05/24/09 at 14:19:05

After Guy left this afternoon I threw this intake together and went for a ride.  I like it.  The pipe is 2 1/2" OD (2" ID) 30 degree bend electrical PVC (gray) with a 4" Uni filter with 2 1/2" opening.  The fitting for carb to intake pipe I already had.  Total cost for all 3 is about $24.  

« Last Edit: 05/26/09 at 22:01:42 by diamond jim »  
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Kamikaze II
Reply #1 - 05/24/09 at 14:24:19

That is pretty nice, and I love the way it follows the frame. Very unobtrusive.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #2 - 05/24/09 at 14:28:07

Impressive Jim. So is it done yet or you still tweeking on it? The Kamikaze I mean.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/24/09 at 15:10:12

Is the pvc with the 30 degree bend standard or did you bend it?
Also, do you have your Turbulator installed?
I also like the fact that the bend follows the frame. How did you support the filter?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 05/24/09 at 15:26:31

That's really quite nice, where did the battery and electronics end up?

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/24/09 at 15:31:11

How big a tour tank can you fit in that open space D'jim?

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 05/24/09 at 16:13:34

High-Def: Kamikaze 1 is about as tweaked as can get.  I had been reading up on intake dimensions and have been wanting to try one that was just a little narrower than the tube I used with the K1 to increase velocity.  My concern was if it would start to suffer at top speed.  My run earlier was after it rained and streets had dried but just before another shower hit.  I took it out on a section of open road and opened her up. I shifted from 4th to 5th at 75mph indicated speed then made it to 85mph before I had to slow due to traffic.  She still had some go left in her but I wasn't able to find out.  Indications so far is that it's it's not high flow limiting on my bike.  Maybe so for an engine that revved to 12k-14K but not one that revs to 6500.  

I was reading another site last night about a guy who had set up his bike on a dyno with an intake adjustable for length and made several runs with varied intake tract lengths.  He registered an 8hp gain when the intake length was at optimal length.  Those runs were all made with the same jetting setup.  

This setup is pretty impressive thus far but don't forget that it works in conjunction with my exhaust pipe.  The calculations we did on the other thread shows my exhaust puts my peak higher in the rpm range than stock.  A tuned intake improves the lower end torque.  Combined I get a strong pull that starts maybe 1500 rpms and seems to get progressively stronger through and to redline.  I don't have a tach so can't be more specific.  But the intakes seem to increae both the breadth and depth of the powerband.  I'll try to do the dyno later this week or early next week.  Also, the shaped metal under/behind the filter catches and puts cooler air at the intake area.  Here's a pic of what I discovered a few months ago:

The air in the blue area was noticeably cooler than the air right behind the engine.  The plate seems to catch the air that goes around my legs and pushes it up.  

JohnBoy- it's a pre-bent piece from Lowes.  It looks like this:

No turbulator in it.  The rounded the mouth of the intake tube though to reduce flow problems.  The filter and intake tube together have so little weight so support is not really a factor.  

V1- I could fit a 2 gallon tank there, couldn't I?  Hmmm...

I'm not sure which intake I'll use for the dyno.  Both seem to work pretty good but I want to do my acceleration-up-the-big-a$$-hill-not-far-from-my-house test.  I know how the bike does on that long, tall hill in stock form, with pod filter and with the K1.  

BTW- this is a great read. http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/InExTuning.htm

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/24/09 at 16:37:15

diamond jim wrote on 05/24/09 at 16:13:34:
V1- I could fit a 2 gallon tank there, couldn't I?  Hmmm...

Sounds perfect to me.

There's a spot on the petcock where it looks as if you can add another port to attach the lower tank.  Which would need to be vented into the main tank.  I would only have to tee into the CA vent tube.  The petcock port would need a separate valve.  Electric pump to refill the main tank.

Hmmm... when I wanted to remove the main tank, I'd just have to plan on an empty tour tank and let the main tank drain into it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 05/24/09 at 17:09:01

Would a fuel pump be needed?

Regarding this intake design, I used the Uni filter cause I was at a Cycle Gear shop and it was just sitting on the shelf with a $15 price sticker.  I could do it with a pod filter as well.  It looks to me that it I had kept the battery box in the stock location (with airbox removed) that this intake would still fit. The battery box would likely also act as a blocker to the air coming across the engine therefore supplying cooler air.

IP Logged
Seth C.

Tucson, AZ
Reply #9 - 05/24/09 at 17:14:00

Jim,
Yes, I have been following your Kami I thread and was impressed to see this Kami II thread. Thanks for the detailed reply. I guess it's important for me to remember that it's all about tuning (pipe, carb, intake) ballance. Looking forward to reading on.

2001 Suzuki Savage LS650
WWW   IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #10 - 05/26/09 at 09:49:55

Are you planning to put a anti turbulator in it?

I've got a rental car (Chevy Aveo) for a bit due to unexpected engine failure of my '95 Buick Regal.  Sad  BUT, I noticed that the air vents on the Aveo have a device similar to the turbulator behind the aimable vents.  It uses little triangles instead of circles though.

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #11 - 05/26/09 at 22:01:14

It's funny how we start to notice little things like that.  No turbulator planned for the K2.  I'm wondering if the narrower, uniform pipe will have less natural turbulence as compared to the stock tube.  Don't know yet.

I'm experimenting with 3 different lengths of the K2 intake.  All 3 are 2" ID and all 3 are longer than the stock tube I used with the K1 intake.  With the longest one on today, I hit the rev limiter three times today.  Don't ever recall doing that before on this bike.  Twice in 1st and once in 2nd during medium acceleration from stopped.  It surprised me.  The engine kept pulling and no obvious power plateau before redline.  My hill test verified that a 2" diameter intake moves sufficient air to maintain 75mph up a steady 0.7 mile 14% grade hill when it is no longer than 6.5" from carb mouth to pipe fresh air inlet.  

It's pretty amazing how a 1/2" change in intake length moves the peak and effects the powerband  A 1.25" length difference, same diameter, moved my normal riding shifting points.  

Here's a pic of the shortest one held up next to the longest one tha's  mounted.  Sure doesn't look like much difference in the pic.

Here's the parts of the smallest K2 intake minus the filter.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Re: Kamikaze II intake
Reply #12 - 05/26/09 at 22:14:01

did you deliberately lengthen it to get a ram effect off your heatshield that sits where bat box and airbox once did? if not, then you just kind of stumbled into a near ideal placement... not only is the air there cooler, but it would appear to be like the windshield of a car, and that's where you get the highest airpressue on a run, at the windshield... gonna idealize it without the anti-turbulator, and then try it with?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #13 - 05/26/09 at 22:34:56

Yep, you got it on the ram effect.  That's why I initally did the wind ramp.  Plus it looks better to me than just open frame and wires.  

With these experiments, I wanted to try the longest intake I could but didn't want the filter right up against the wind ramp.  I figure I can get more air around the filter circumference and into the filter end with that little bit of space left there.  Kinda hard to tell but in the top pic in the thread, the filter is touching the top lip of the ramp.  In the pic in the post you responded to you can see the filter has about a 3/4" space between filter end and lip (in the pic the tube is actually longer than the first pic- but the filter is shortend by an inch so it kind of looks the same).  I might make a new ramp designed specifically for this intake setup.

It is certainly cooler air at the very back.  There's not much of a gradual temperature change from just behind the engine to the top of the ramp.  Rather, it's a consistent warm air behind in the front half of the opening then the back half is cool.  It's like there's an invisible line splitting the airspace.  

But the air at the filter is both pressurized and cooler.  Too bad I can't easily duplicate that on a dyno.  I do have the money set aside for the dyno eval.  Gonna try to do it later this week or early next week.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #14 - 05/26/09 at 22:40:53

im still betting on 39.6 hp at 5200 rpm....lol  on the dyno, is his inertia, or strain guage?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/07/24 at 21:05:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kamikaze II intake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.