Send Topic Print
Footpeg (Read 162 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Footpeg
05/31/09 at 18:26:46

I have a 2005 s40. The passenger footpeg wont open up all the way and sits at an angle .I tried a hammer .Any suggestions how to staighten it out?
[im g][/img]

IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Re: Footpeg
Reply #1 - 05/31/09 at 18:41:25

What's it catching on?  Find that and then grind it down until it sits flat.  

The peg comes off easily.  On my 96 there is a little piece that sits inside the bracket and wraps around the peg itself -where the bolt goes through.  That piece acts like a washer around the hole area and has a rubber bumper at the end that the peg hits to stop.  Once you take out the bolt it'll slide right out, may even fall out.  You may need to remove some of that rubber or grind down the end of the peg.  If you've been banging it with a hammer you'll probably see where the contact is when you take it apart.

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #2 - 06/01/09 at 04:03:42

Are both the rear pegs easy to remove?  I wanted to remove mine (2000) but it looked like we would have to remove the rear wheel to do it.

(I generally state "we" because I do very little work to my bike, I make my husband do it.  I just don't want to make is sound like I am doing the work..I am not.  I do make lemonaid and some excellent sammies to keep him going though.)

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #3 - 06/01/09 at 07:27:20

Can you use a dremel grinding bit in a drill to grind down the end of the peg ? I might try that.

IP Logged
savagedml

Paid Alliance
Membership (07/09)

Portsmouth, VA
Reply #4 - 06/01/09 at 09:03:18

My '03's passenger pegs are held onto the peg bracket with an allen head bolt that is under a little chrome cap. Pry that little cap off and unscrew the bolt holding the peg on the bracket.

Paid Alliance Membership (07/09)
"Let's roll!"
WWW funluvncareertech   IP Logged
Staplebox

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

CT
Reply #5 - 06/01/09 at 15:22:33

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 06/01/09 at 04:03:42:
Are both the rear pegs easy to remove?  I wanted to remove mine (2000) but it looked like we would have to remove the rear wheel to do it.

The foot peg itself is easy to remove - as above pop off the cap and unscrew the bolt.  If you don't want any pegs at all you'll probably want to remove the foot peg holders from the swing arm.  I believe they have an allen bolt too.  You need to get to it from the inside of the frame.  I am not sure if it accessible with the tire on or not.  Should be easy to check.

RL153 - use whatever you've got to grind it down - it doesn't look like you need to remove much .  Just remember it's better to cut it too long than too short.  Smiley

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/01/09 at 16:21:25

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 06/01/09 at 04:03:42:

(I generally state "we" because I do very little work to my bike, I make my husband do it.  I just don't want to make is sound like I am doing the work..I am not.  I do make lemonaid and some excellent sammies to keep him going though.)

Inside the swingarm,(meaning on the side of the arm that is closest to the wheel), is the head on an allen bolt. If you can get an allen wrench in the space between the swingarm and the wheel, you can unscrew it.
I did mine after the swing arm was off the bike for welding modifications so I don't remember if there is enough room for the allen wrench.
best of luck with it.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 06/01/09 at 16:52:08

Are you guys saying That the point at which the peg pivots is an allen screw that can be removed ? It looks like a pressed pin. Thanks

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #8 - 06/01/09 at 21:16:31

rl153 wrote on 06/01/09 at 16:52:08:
Are you guys saying That the point at which the peg pivots is an allen screw that can be removed ? It looks like a pressed pin. Thanks

My husband says, yes, allen screw is there.  At least that is how it is on the front pegs, and he assumes the same for the back.  As for removing the bracket completely, he doesn't have enough room w/o removing the rear wheel.  I thought maybe one of you guys might know a trick.

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #9 - 06/01/09 at 22:01:08

Looks like something is hung up there, the inside chrome plate compresses the rubber part of the footpeg when you pull it down to use it.  You may need to remove it from the mounting block, take it apart, and lube it up with some lube spray.  The part that looks like a pin is actually a chrome plastic cover for the allen head screw.  Just use something thin to remove it and then take the peg off.  
Should be easy peasy from there.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 06/02/09 at 11:00:26

Thanks ,I'll try to remove the peg and grind it down.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/02/09 at 15:20:36

sockmonkeygirl wrote on 06/01/09 at 21:16:31:
rl153 wrote on 06/01/09 at 16:52:08:

My husband says, yes, allen screw is there.  At least that is how it is on the front pegs, and he assumes the same for the back.  As for removing the bracket completely, he doesn't have enough room w/o removing the rear wheel.  I thought maybe one of you guys might know a trick.

The trick is the allen wrench, and I looked at my bike and there is enough room between the wheel and the swingarm. I think it is an 8mm allen.
Once you get it broken loose, you unscrew it a couple of turns and then as the peg holder come outward enough, just hold the allen and rotate the footpeg and its' holder.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 11:42:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Footpeg

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.