Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Kamikaze II intake (Read 1304 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Kamikaze II intake
Reply #45 - 05/29/09 at 11:28:23

Well, only got it part done.  Got it all mounted, sniffer in the tailpipe up past the baffle, engine on... and way too rich at idle.  The stoichiometric air/fuel mixture, as you all know, is 14.7 to 1.  He likes to shoot for about 12 to 12.5 on the idle circuit.  Best we could get, even with playing around with the idle mixture screw, was 8.5.  No reason to try to fine tune it when the pilot is that far off.  We agreed that I needed to put the 52.5 back in.  I would have done it right then and there but I only had the main jets with me. The 52.5 stocker is the one that I took out of my jet baggie and took to show him a few weeks ago cause I was looking for a 55 with no bleed holes. So I came back home and tore up the car, house and garage looking for it but to no avail.  Crap!  

Gonna have to order another one, put it in and go back and try it again.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #46 - 05/29/09 at 11:33:15

diamond jim wrote on 05/29/09 at 11:28:23:
Well, only got it part done.  Got it all mounted, sniffer in the tailpipe up past the baffle, engine on... and way too rich at idle.  The stoichiometric air/fuel mixture, as you all know, is 14.7 to 1.  He likes to shoot for about 12 to 12.5 on the idle circuit.  Best we could get, even with playing around with the idle mixture screw, was 8.5.  No reason to try to fine tune it when the pilot is that far off.  We agreed that I needed to put the 52.5 back in.  I would have done it right then and there but I only had the main jets with me. The 52.5 stocker is the one that I took out of my jet baggie and took to show him a few weeks ago cause I was looking for a 55 with no bleed holes. So I came back home and tore up the car, house and garage looking for it but to no avail.  Crap!  

Gonna have to order another one, put it in and go back and try it again.

just building the suspense, eh?...rofl  bummer, bro, but i guess it explains the gas mileage too.... the joys of "custom"....

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #47 - 05/29/09 at 12:12:27

Here's something funny- the two intakes, K1 and K2, don't work the same with the same filter on them.

K2, the top one, was the one I was just testing the other day doing max up a steep hill.  No evidence of air restriction whatsoever.   

So this morning, before I head out for the dyno, I decided I'd put a foam filter on the K1 for the dyno run.  Remembering how sensitive it was to the resistance of filter material when I was experimenting with it, I thought I'd reduce the resistance of the foam filter.  The foam in the back of the filter is twice as thick as the sides.  I flipped the filter inside out and trimmed some of the foam in the bottom/back of the filter to minimize resistance.  Actually, I trimmed a little too much.  The center, as you can see in the pic below,  is so thin you can see the light through it.  It's good enough though for a quick ride and a dyno run.  

So, I put the K1 with foam filter on the bike.  Head down the drive way- no problem.  Turn on to the road- still going good.  First long straight road I find I twist the throttle about 2/3rds.  The rpms quickly climb then cough, sputter, cough.  What the heck?  Repeat and get the same result.  The foam filter is way to restrictive for the K1.  Yet it works great with K2.  

Question: does the K2 move sufficient air but the K1 moves maximum air?  My first thought was that there is a little less internal airspace in the foam filter on the K1.  But if should move air better with the back thinned out.  

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #48 - 05/29/09 at 12:21:06

Is the K1 sucking shut from the suction?

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #49 - 05/29/09 at 12:24:00

your de-turbulation scheme causes very high "point velocities" in your airflow... the foam cant pass the air required quick enough.... the cylindrical shape as opposed to the hemispherical one of your original filter may have something to do with it... might be why you were so rich at idle, too....

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #50 - 05/29/09 at 12:35:34

Duane wrote on 05/29/09 at 12:21:06:
Is the K1 sucking shut from the suction?

Doubt it.  I ran it with the filter support.  

Probably a surface area/decreased internal volume issue despite thinning the back of the filter.  

marshall13 wrote on 05/29/09 at 12:24:00:
your de-turbulation scheme causes very high "point velocities" in your airflow... the foam cant pass the air required quick enough.... the cylindrical shape as opposed to the hemispherical one of your original filter may have something to do with it... might be why you were so rich at idle, too....

I've wondered if it works too good.  If maybe it's too effective at pulling the fuel up through the jets. After the bogging down experience I went back, put the filter on that I made for it originally and that's what I used for the dyno.  Maybe with the K2 the idle would be closer to 12 to 12.5.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #51 - 05/29/09 at 12:46:00

but look at the installed shape... still cylindrical for the most part... imagine the holes through the filter as your de-turbulator straws on a micro scale... , now, let's also assume that the deturb actually draws the air from the filter in a linear manner (remember, the wind tunnels have the air being pushed though the honeycomb, but you have it being "sucked through").... which would have more "microstraws" pointed directly at each straws flowpath?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #52 - 05/29/09 at 13:03:43

marshall13 wrote on 05/29/09 at 12:46:00:
but look at the installed shape... still cylindrical for the most part... imagine the holes through the filter as your de-turbulator straws on a micro scale... , now, let's also assume that the deturb actually draws the air from the filter in a linear manner (remember, the wind tunnels have the air being pushed though the honeycomb, but you have it being "sucked through").... which would have more "microstraws" pointed directly at each straws flowpath?

So, you're saying that the majority, if not all of the air, is entering in a linear fashion (red lines) and the sides (blue) aren't really doing much?  The result, like you are suggesting if I understand correctly, is too little surface area + high velocity = not able to move enough air.  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 05/29/09 at 13:18:15

diamond jim wrote on 05/29/09 at 13:03:43:

So, you're saying that the majority, if not all of the air, is entering in a linear fashion (red lines) and the sides (blue) aren't really doing much?  The result, like you are suggesting if I understand correctly, is too little surface area + high velocity = not able to move enough air.  
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/russ_diamond_jim/flow-1.jpg

Depends on the veloscity of the air thru the duct whether it is naturally laminar or turbulent.  In laminar flow, there's a veloscity distribution across the duct.  Air flows faster in the center then the edges.  The straws accomplish 2 things they dampen out turbulence and equalize the velocity across the duct.  I'll have to find my fluids text book someday.

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #54 - 05/29/09 at 13:40:39

verslagen1 wrote on 05/29/09 at 13:18:15:
Depends on the veloscity of the air thru the duct whether it is naturally laminar or turbulent.  In laminar flow, there's a veloscity distribution across the duct.  Air flows faster in the center then the edges.  The straws accomplish 2 things they dampen out turbulence and equalize the velocity across the duct.  I'll have to find my fluids text book someday.

Dig them books out.  Then you and Marshall can help me understand it better.  

And for those that don't know, it was Verslagen1 that came up with the idea of using wind tunnel technology and the name "turbulator".  Giving credit where it's due.

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #55 - 05/29/09 at 13:42:56

diamond jim wrote on 05/29/09 at 13:03:43:

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh128/russ_diamond_jim/flow-1.jpg

kinda... look at it more 3-dimensionally... if you were to run a straight line from any pore of the filter media pependicular to the inner face of the media, which filter shape will have the most lines pointed at a straight flow path from a straw? the hemi-shaped one, i would think... the deturbulator is a collection of intake planes, each of which acts as an individual, that's why it deturbulates... if a shop vac will pick up a screw while being held 2 inches directly above it, will it also lift one 2 inches to the side? not usually, in my observations....

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #56 - 05/29/09 at 13:50:34

What do you mean by hemi-shaped?

Here's a thought.  Maybe the K2, being narrower and longer and more like a vacuum hose, develops more inertia at the mouth of the tube and therefore is more effective at pulling air through the foam filter whereas the K1 has more inertia after the turbulator and thus unable to overcome the same level of filter resistance as the K2 design.  

IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #57 - 05/29/09 at 14:07:26

diamond jim wrote on 05/29/09 at 13:50:34:
What do you mean by hemi-shaped?

Here's a thought.  Maybe the K2, being narrower and longer and more like a vacuum hose, develops more inertia at the mouth of the tube and therefore is more effective at pulling air through the foam filter whereas the K1 has more inertia after the turbulator and thus unable to overcome the same level of filter resistance as the K2 design.  

"hemi"-spherical...lol  the inertial differences is a valid theory too... might well be a combo of many differences "stacking" minor flow changes into a major difference....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 05/29/09 at 14:15:30

marshall13 wrote on 05/29/09 at 13:42:56:
... if a shop vac will pick up a screw while being held 2 inches directly above it, will it also lift one 2 inches to the side? not usually, in my observations....

Hmmm ... pick up a screw while being held 2 inches directly above it ... it's that called gravity?  and that's it's more a case of aiming?

Or assuming (don't say it) you actually meant pick up screw 2" below it, don't you think if the drag of airflow on the screw could  overcome the force of gravity, that it could also overcome the force of friction which is a function of gravity?

And it's a long time proven fact that a duct with a bell mouth inlet will out perform a straight duct.  It's like trying to drag a rope over a knife edge vs. the diameter of a pipe

WWW   IP Logged
marshall13

the first step is to
admit your ignorance

Fort Lauderdale FL
Reply #59 - 05/29/09 at 14:30:17

verslagen1 wrote on 05/29/09 at 14:15:30:
marshall13 wrote on 05/29/09 at 13:42:56:
... if a shop vac will pick up a screw while being held 2 inches directly above it, will it also lift one 2 inches to the side? not usually, in my observations....

Hmmm ... pick up a screw while being held 2 inches directly above it ... it's that called gravity?  and that's it's more a case of aiming?

Or assuming (don't say it) you actually meant pick up screw 2" below it, don't you think if the drag of airflow on the screw could  overcome the force of gravity, that it could also overcome the force of friction which is a function of gravity?

And it's a long time proven fact that a duct with a bell mouth inlet will out perform a straight duct.  It's like trying to drag a rope over a knife edge vs. the diameter of a pipe

but if it just barely overcomes the gravity linearly, will it have the "oomph" to overcome both simultanously(directly lift the offset screw), or will it drag the screw across the floor, then lift it from a position directly below the nozzle? that's with constant flow, not pulsed... if you just "bumped" the vac power switch on and off rapidly, would it overcome the offset screw's inertia at all? which shape of filter would give the pores of the media a more "bell shaped" orientation?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kamikaze II intake

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.