Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Adding a Fuel Filter to the Savage (Read 3688 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Adding a Fuel Filter to the Savage
Reply #15 - 10/29/14 at 05:20:34

Use this method and it will fit -- just move it back some.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/29/14 at 13:51:15

I thought of that, but I dont think I can make that happen with this filter. I have a ryca cs1 and the k&n filter takes a lot of space underneath there. I was also thinking of copying the other ryca owner's setup,  but this filter would have to hang outwards and mynleg would rub against it.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #17 - 11/21/14 at 18:38:59

This filter ultimately had problems with vapor lock on long rides.  There may or may not be a way to make it work, but at this time this is NOT a proven successful method.  If I ever get this to work long term, I will update this posting.

Alright guys, here is another option to fulfill your fuel filter desires.  This is a NAPA Gold filter, part number 3087.  Sized for 5/16" fuel line, this filter provides excellent flow and more than adequate filtration capacity.

This IS a large filter.  Each one of those nipples is almost an inch long out of the box.  The outlet to the carb I trimmed off until I had approximately 0.5 inch remaining.  With my parts laid out, you can see it does not require a lot of fuel line.  From the tank to the filter I used approx. 1.9 inches of line, and from the filter to the carb approx. 1.5 inches.  On the inlet side of the filter, the line is only mounted 0.75 inch down.  The length of the line pushes the filter back so that it doesn't interfere with the choke knob.  Going into the carb, the line will take a bit of a slant, but it is't too sharp.  Make sure that you use clamps to handle some of the stress of the bend.  In the end it does just barely touch the choke knob in the normal running position.

The finished project:

You can also use the WIX 33087, as it's the same filter.  There are versions of this filter with the same part number where the inlet nipple is positioned 180 degrees to the other side of that end - in line with where my index finger is in the picture.  I'd imagine that this version would be easier to install without interfering with the choke, but it may need more line.

For a whopping $5 at my local NAPA, this is an easy piece.  I hope this can help somebody.

« Last Edit: 12/07/14 at 16:19:41 by HondaLavis »  

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 12/28/15 at 16:02:33

I tried O'Reilly, Advance Auto, & AutoZone "dot coms" and couldn't come up with a Fram G2 at any of them. Finally found it on walmart.com, $2.93 + tax with free in-store pickup. Will get some 5/16 & 3/8" hose and install when I have the tank off for the 600-mile break-in service...photos to follow.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #19 - 12/28/15 at 18:57:16

Rodger, just FYI, most fuel filters have become problematic in the long run. Your mileage may vary.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 12/28/15 at 19:48:45

Problematic how, Kris?  Leaks? Fuel contriction?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 12/29/15 at 07:37:38

Rodger wrote on 12/28/15 at 19:48:45:
Problematic how, Kris?  Leaks? Fuel contriction?

The fuel flow in the Savage is by gravity, and since the fuel level isn't much more than a foot when the tank is full....there is only about 1/2 psi of fuel pressure when the tank is full - and even less than that when the fuel level is lower.

The problem that occurs is that an air bubble can become trapped in the small passage in the hose fitting on the filter.  The plastic needs to be pretty thick to have any strength, and it is easy for an air bubble to become lodged in the small diameter hole.....the fuel wants to flow down past the bubble - but the bubble wants to go up and the bubble prevents the fuel from flowing...it creates an "air lock".

When you install the filter and first hook it up - it could work fine, and then at some inconvenient time/place you could potentially get a bubble stuck and cause you problems, and since it has been working for 6 months without a problem you most likely won't expect that the filter is causing a problem.

I keep my tank and carb clean, and I don't use an additional inline filter.  The filter has the potential to cause running problems, and it also has the potential to break as it is only made of plastic.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 12/29/15 at 16:46:35

Dave, just playing Devils' Advocate here, what do you think about using an oversized fuel line? Say about 3/8"-1/2" or so. It would give the gas more of a chance to make it to the carb.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 12/31/15 at 04:57:21

Kris01 wrote on 12/29/15 at 16:46:35:
Dave, just playing Devils' Advocate here, what do you think about using an oversized fuel line? Say about 3/8"-1/2" or so. It would give the gas more of a chance to make it to the carb.

The fuel line is not the problem - it is the nipples/barbs on the fuel filter that are so small that they create the "air embolism".  If you could find a filter with the larger nipples, then maybe the filter could work reliably.  I am not sure how big the nipples would need to be to provide the same size hole as the original 6mm (1/4") fuel line - but I suspect that by the time you obtain a filter with a 5/16" or 3/8" ID on the nipple - the filter is going to be too large to use on the Savage.

Look at the post that HondaLavis posted above.....he had a larger filter with 5/16" nipples, and it proved not to work reliably.

« Last Edit: 01/04/16 at 04:02:55 by Dave »  

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #24 - 01/04/24 at 09:06:39

I'm digging up this old post as I am/was considering adding an inline fuel filter to my set-up.  

I can understand why Suzuki probably didn't include an inline filter due to the vacuum needs of the stock CV carb (air bubbles no bueno).

But for those of us that have ditched the stock petcock valve and gone gravity fed (be it a Raptor petcock valve or otherwise), considering adding a second line of defense with an inline filter is an interesting dilemma.

I'm not smart enough to question the science and wisdom of if a paper filter or sintered brass filter can prevent water from entering the carb/engine.  That was an interesting debate and discussion above with Oldfellar.  And we're all virtually stuck with gas containing 10% ethanol these days.  I can get ethanol free, but I'd burn a 1/4 of gas back and forth to that special gas station - not practical and not possible when out of town in the boondocks.  

I'm inclined to forego an inline filter and avoid the possible problems sited in this thread.  Suzuki didn't seem too worried about small crap getting past the petcock valve filter/screen.

Does something like Sta-Bil or Iso-HEET mitigate concerns about water in the gas and tank?  I can't say I've ever had a problem with really bad gas and always buy from "Top Tier" gas stations whenever possible.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 01/05/24 at 04:38:21

The stock and Raptor petcock both have filter screens on the inlet tube, and the carb has a filter on top of the seat for the float needle.

Adding an inline filter is a huge restriction to the amount of fuel flow that is available....and even more important is how easily an air bubble can get stuck in the small diameter of the filter nipple.  With fuel line/filters so small - a little reduction in ID can greatly reduce the area that fuel can flow through.  (I will go out and measure some filters and put some numbers to this).

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 01/05/24 at 06:04:46

Good points Dave. No adding an inline fuel filter for me.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 01/08/24 at 11:26:12

The only time I run a filter , is first start , maybe thru initial break in. Only because who knows what might come out of a tank. After I’m satisfied there are no issues , it gets tossed.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 01/23/24 at 06:01:03

It is a rainy morning and I spent a little time doing math.

I used my center finders to determine the ID of the carb inlet and a few fuel filters.

The stock fuel line is 8mm - 5/16" is very close (1/4 is too small).  The fuel line has in ID of 0.3150"...the area is 0.0373 sqin.

The inlet nipple on the carb has an ID of 13/64' which is 0.2031", and the area is 0.0324 sqin.

A 5/16" fuel filter has a nipple with an ID of 5/32" which is 0.1563", and the area is 0.0192 sqin.

A 1/4" fuel filter has a nipple with an ID of 9/64" which is 0.1406", and the area is 0.0155 sqin.

The results are that if you install a 5/16" fuel filter the flow area in the nipple is only 59% of the carb inlet, and a 1/4" filter has a flow area in the nipple of only 46% of the carb inlet.  This reduction is a result of the thick plastic used when making a fuel filter.....the brass carb inlet is much thinner and it has a far greater flow area.

IMG_2951.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 01/23/24 at 06:03:23

Here is an example of the size difference of the carb inlet diameter and the 5/16" fuel filter (a 1/4" filter is even worse).

IMG_2954.JPG

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 04:48:06

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Adding a Fuel Filter to the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.