Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23
Send Topic Print
DAILY  HOT TIP (Read 18857 times)
keith pearson
YaBB Newbies

ancient biker

Re: DAILY  HOT TIP
Reply #270 - 11/28/13 at 01:36:06

For cleaning up alloy, and indeed all metals, CITRIC ACID is the best as it does not react with the metals.   get a big bucket or similar and make up a solution of citric.  I used to get it at the chemist's shop but now they won't sell it any more , "in case you use it to make drugs with, Sir",  so I went on EBay and found it at a tenth of the price.   use it with an abrasive sponge block to clean alloy, or just with a cloth or brush.    After soldering/brazing, dunk the whole lot in the bucket.     I used it to clean engine parts and the carb - no need to dismantle. After cleaning, wash with water or spirit , as it leaves a slightly sticky residue.   For really dirty parts and casings etc, leave it for a day or so.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #271 - 11/28/13 at 09:37:03

Why not just use lemon juice?  Isn't it citric acid?

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Genuinely Interesting Product: Plast-Aid
Reply #272 - 03/21/14 at 05:11:55

Just read about (and ordered) Plast-aid Plastic Repair Kit, which I read about in Motorcycle Consumer News. Unlike most glues, this one actually forms a molecular bond with the plastics it repairs, as well as creating an epoxy-like mechanical bond. Appears to be able to repair almost anything made of rigid plastic made in the last 40 years, including the plastic parts on our bikes.

http://www.amazon.com/Plast-aid-Repair-Plastic-1-5oz-80100/dp/B004DFHLUA/ref=...

- David

- David
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #273 - 07/31/14 at 01:13:11

Awwrite,it's been time to clean the stove and fridge for a while. The plastic vent on bottom of the fridge has always been impossible to get clean.I grabbed my engine degreaser  and it came out looking new.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #274 - 08/03/14 at 09:47:54

Oookay,, a fella on the Guzzi forum clued me in,, theres a product at Doillar TRee called "Awesome", clearish bottle, kinda yellowish product, I was too busy talking to a young fella about school to pay attention to what it cost, but Im pretty sure it cost less per ounce than the Berrymans stuff. I ran a Side by Side test on a broiler pan, 1/2 B33 & 1/2 Awesome,, I hafta declare a tie, couldnt see a clear winner, BUT, squirting B33 Inside the oven??? Naaah,, thats gonna be hard to rinse out well enough to not stink,, and, it kinda choked me up, so, inside that box, scrubbing would be a bad idea,, Ima hafta call the Awesome the overall winner for practical purposes, outside, if tghe B33 is close & handy, Ill use it, inside, Awesome is what Ill go with,,
The guy who told me about it posted pics, another product was "Greased Lightning", but I didnt see it. If I run across some Ill give it a shot & see how it measures up.
Anybody else got any "Secret Weapons" for making quick work of de-greasing stuff in the kitchen?
I think Ill do a search & see what kinda nifty ideas are out there on the Ol' Innerwebs..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Seaweednh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newbury, MA
Reply #275 - 08/07/14 at 07:04:34

cream of tarter in boiling water cleans aluminum.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #276 - 08/29/14 at 17:23:29

Removing rust from inside of a gas tank. “The Frugal Way”

Haven’t done this yet with a MC tank,
(but several times with,  ’small engine’, steel tanks)

Clean out the, gas in the tank. Take off the outgoing, ingoing things. (Gas cap, Petcock)

Go to a Pet Store, mart mart, buy a bag of, ‘Lizard/Snake’ bedding.
(It is crushed walnut hulls). Of course, you could go to a gun store, and buy the same thing for Lots more money.

Do NOT, buy, crushed, ‘Corn Cob’ media, Despite what the DFI at the mart-mart may say. It is  NOT the same ! AND, Do NOT waste money on, rouge, or polishing compound.

Take your tank, tape off the outgoing hole/s  (petcock),
Put in about, 1/2 to 1/3  the volume of your tank, of the crushed walnut hulls.  DRY.
Tape off the ingoing hole. (gas cap)

Wrap up your tank, in something, then insert it in to a cement mixer.
Wrapping the tank securely, into the blades of the cement mixer.
(So the Tank, does not move, Only the Media Inside it)
Turn it on, then in 24 hours, turn it off, and turn it about 90 degrees, then turn it on again.
Elect works better than gas, as it is cheeper to run.

You do NOT, need any, ’special’ Rouge, or Polishing compound.
The crushed walnut hulls, are very hard and sharp.
Much harder then the oxidation, (rust), but Not as hard as the, steel.
So you can NOT, overdo it!

When you take it out, the, ‘rust’, will be gone.
It may be dark in places, (depending on how long you left it tumble, and how much rust their was), but the filter in a Petcock, will take care of Anything!, (cause their is nothing big their), and if you are a belt & Suspenders person, the, ‘in line’ filter is double insurance, so nothing, that is big enough, will ever will go through your carb.

Now, after you have ’tumbled’,  it.  and you are going to use, “GOOD”,  gas,
which has, NO WATER IN IT, your good to go. (After thourly cleaning, of course).
If you are in to the, ethanol gas, then, pick a product and, ‘coat’, the inside.

Have not done this with a MC tank, but it has worked Very Well, on little 1/2 gal to 1-1/2 gal, tanks.
So I don’t see any reason it would not work, they are all, ’steel’.

Now their are ‘ceramic’, and ’Stainless Steel’ little tiny rods, which work best in a water, soap mix. And if you are a gun nut who reloads and cleans brass a lot, maybe you have such. But if you don’t have it, do NOT go out and buy it.

This method, may work for you, if you are resurrecting, a old tank for a project.

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #277 - 10/25/14 at 21:02:57

Having trouble getting the hardened bug guts off of your chrome or plexi-glass windshield?  Don't use paper towels or shop towels; the trick is COTTON GAUZE.  It is coarse enough to catch and scrape off the bug guts, but soft enough not to hurt anything.  Any cheap cotton gauze will do the trick.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #278 - 11/03/14 at 10:32:55

Need a washer? Not gonna get a big load on it? Need one for a small bolt or screw? Drill a penny.. it's cheaper ... post 82 are not copper. I try to hang onto the older copper ones.

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #279 - 01/21/15 at 17:02:34

Home made fuel injection cleaner/carb cleaner is easy to make.  Check the MSDS for most fuel injection cleaners and the main ingredient is kerosene or toluene with some detergents.

My daughter has a ford Escape she bought for next to nothing as it was badly misfiring.  It had sat for a year.  The code reader indicated misfiring and bad coils.  I suspected sticky fuel injectors and sticky hydraulic lifters along with very stale gas.

Oil change to Diesel engine oil had the code reader down to two misfiring cylinders after a tank full of fresh premium gas.  Lifters had probably cleaned up a bit.  Next was one cup of Jet A fuel, cheapest form of pure kerosene around here, 2 ounces of 2 stroke motor oil and 1/2 gallon of toluene in a full tank of non alchohol premium.

SAE specs allow up to 80% toluene in gas before anyone freaks out.

Purrs like a kitten now.  Jet A is less than 1/4 the price of kerosene.  Don't go crazy on the Jet A/kerosene as it can cause engine damage if you use more than a bit.  No stupid expensive coil over plug coils needed!

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #280 - 04/27/15 at 18:18:15

Gas tank cleaner:

Soak it in a 10:1 mix of water and molasses. Takes a few days but works very well and it is not caustic. When you are done, dump it in the yard. The grass loves it!

Muriatic acid or vinegar works the same way excpt muriatic acid takes minutes. Remember to wash thoroughly with baking soda and water afterwards. Fill your tank up quickly afterwards to avoid flash rusting.

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #281 - 04/28/15 at 04:35:09

Kris01 wrote on 04/27/15 at 18:18:15:
Gas tank cleaner:

Soak it in a 10:1 mix of water and molasses. Takes a few days but works very well and it is not caustic. When you are done, dump it in the yard. The grass loves it!

Muriatic acid or vinegar works the same way except muriatic acid takes minutes. Remember to wash thoroughly with baking soda and water afterwards. Fill your tank up quickly afterwards to avoid flash rusting.

I think Phosporic Acid is better for use in fuel tanks....it is not as hard on the steel as the Muriatic acid is.  Most rust treatments used to prepare metal for painting have Phosporic acid.

I also have found that E85 fuel works very well for rinsing the tank after the water flush - it pulls the water out of the tank and will not hurt the paint like Acetone can.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #282 - 04/28/15 at 20:39:14

I'll keep that in mind next time I have a real dirty tank to clean
my favorite method though runs like this
1 put a bunch of nuts and / or bolts in the tank
2 wrap well in a blanket or quilt (an OLD one)
3 Tumble in the dryer on NO HEAT for 30 minutes to an hour (DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE CATCH YOU DOING THIS)  Grin
4 Fish out nuts / bolts with a magnet / dump out loosened rust
5 Coat with Caswell sealer (caswell actually works better if there's some surface rust extant)
6 re install tamk when Caswell is cured
7 Ride for the life of the bike with no more rust issues

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #283 - 04/29/15 at 15:30:26

Art Webb wrote on 04/28/15 at 20:39:14:
I'll keep that in mind next time I have a real dirty tank to clean
my favorite method though runs like this
1 put a bunch of nuts and / or bolts in the tank
2 wrap well in a blanket or quilt (an OLD one)
3 Tumble in the dryer on NO HEAT for 30 minutes to an hour (DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE CATCH YOU DOING THIS)  Grin
4 Fish out nuts / bolts with a magnet / dump out loosened rust
5 Coat with Caswell sealer (caswell actually works better if there's some surface rust extant)
6 re install tamk when Caswell is cured
7 Ride for the life of the bike with no more rust issues

or until wife discovers what youve done with her dryer,, AT which time your warranty expires.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #284 - 04/29/15 at 18:05:56

Dave:
Phosphoric acid is the number 1 ingredient in Naval Jelly. It works pretty well. I've used it on some pretty rusty bolts and they came pretty clean.

The bad thing about muriatic acid is that it turns the metal black afterwards. Not a bad thing...occasionally. You DO have to rinse with baking soda and water later to neutralize the acid.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 12:08:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DAILY  HOT TIP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.