Send Topic Print
DAILY  HOT TIP (Read 18857 times)
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Re: DAILY  HOT TIP
Reply #255 - 05/05/13 at 18:30:41

It's late in the day and there's no "daily" tip posted yet, so I'd better do my part.

Elsewhere on the forum can be found the oil change tip/no tip debate as to whether the engine should be tipped to both sides in the interest of evacuating all possible oil from the engine before replenishing with fresh. My "tip" for the day is to indeed "tip" if you intend to ship the engine.

The bottom end is light enough to be shipped by most shippers including the Postal Service. However, if the item is found to be leaking any form of "fluid", the item is considered "undeliverable" which prompts a registered letter informing the recipient that he/she has 5 days in which to retrieve the item after which it will be destroyed. And the recipient will be charged the cost of disposing of the item. I should add that Murphy's Law dictates that any leaking oil must occur at the furthest point possible from either the shipper or recipient.

And finally, the obligatory "don't ask me how I arrived at this understanding".

Tip for the day - take your pick.
"Tip Baby Tip"
"Tip to Ship"
"If you don't tip, the Postal Service will".

« Last Edit: 05/06/13 at 03:52:49 by DieselBob »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #256 - 05/05/13 at 22:25:44

Ewww!... good point, Diesel B...
I never thought of that...

So,...    What's your position on the shake/tilt during oil change?...

...I used to do it,... but, was convinced to become,.. at least,... less enthusiastic, with my jiggles...
...(it was the,... "Any oil is better than no oil"... that got me)...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #257 - 05/06/13 at 04:14:50

Quote:

I think I'm in the "don't tip" camp. Again, the greatest wear occurs in the first moments following start-up. Those little reserves won't remedy that problem, but every little bit helps. Instead, we'd need a pre-oiler as installed on many Pratt and Whitneys.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #258 - 05/06/13 at 07:34:59

Serowbot wrote on 05/05/13 at 22:25:44:

Tilted at times, depends on the oil, getting every drip of super black is critical to the color of amber just poured in.   Cool

As recently noted, the clutch cover gasket has a large portion sectioned off with holes but still oil collects there.  And the return holes from the sides don't allow all the oil to drain.  And the only location that purposely holds oil is the cam bath tub up top.   Smiley

That and all of your startup oil is in the oil passageways.  Once you open the oil filter... it aint there... so the little bit caught up in these catch basins is farting in the wind.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #259 - 05/06/13 at 07:45:07

I want to get ALL the used, dirty, worn out oil out of there I can so I can replace it with some new oil with new additives. But thats just me Wink

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #260 - 05/06/13 at 10:07:35

Id rather have some tired old oil up under my cam than have that little bathtub empty & have my cam smackin on things w/o a coat of oil from dipping in the tub on the way around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Built-in tool for valve timing inspection plug
Reply #261 - 05/11/13 at 05:44:37

Went to check my valve clearances and was stymied by having nothing on hand to remove the valve timing inspection plug - until I discovered that the bracket that holds down the rear of the tank and the front of the seat is a perfect tool for the job. It's almost as if they designed it for that purpose.

Just wanted to pass that on.

- David
  IP Logged
RatdogWillie
Serious Thumper

Nostalgia isn't what
it used to be...

Johnstown, PA.
Reply #262 - 05/11/13 at 19:47:48

rl153 wrote on 03/25/12 at 20:22:54:
Here's a tip. Over the years a few of my pliers have had the rubber grips wear out . You can replace them with a peice of 3/8 automotive gas line. Use soapy water or hair spray as a lubricant to slide them on.

Shaving Cream is a good lubricant for slipping things on in tight situations. It dries out and holds tight.

What was the best thing before sliced bread?
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot them?
How is it possible to have a civil war?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #263 - 05/24/13 at 22:00:59

When you want to be left alone, grab a broom.

WWW   IP Logged
Ricky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #264 - 07/10/13 at 18:22:41

Pam cooking spray is great for getting grease and paint off of your hands. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #265 - 07/10/13 at 19:41:01

Pam, on the other hand, is, well,, now on your other hand..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #266 - 07/14/13 at 14:16:30

Belt squeal or squeak cure:
Mix bee's wax and Vaseline in a 65:35 ratio, You can heat it up in the microwave to mix it). Apply to the belt (again, after heating in the MW) with a brush you don't care about. After a quick ride, take solvent and clean the excess of the rear pulley and tire, if your anal about neatness.
It lasts for a whole season, (8 months up here in Da Nort") before it is needed again.
I have done this for 2 years now and it works, and probably keeps the belt from drying out as well.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
sparky89
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #267 - 08/18/13 at 23:27:58

Hi that is funny you mentioned about leaning over cause I did that and it worked not pretty though doing better with slow control now so not necessary to do that just saying as all. I'm new to the site.

IP Logged
rextec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #268 - 10/20/13 at 18:28:07

Sick of you stripped carb screws?! Well here's a solution. Ive done this on my other bikes as well and never looked back. enjoy! Below is a pic of all the screws you will need to replace all exterior screws on your Savage carb, total cost $3.50 at your local hardware store.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Tweaking the TEV
Reply #269 - 11/15/13 at 07:13:57

Done all you can think of with jetting and adjusting the idle mix screw and checking for air leaks and your bike still give gunshot pops on decel? Clip a small amount off the TEV spring.

In previous threads, people were recommending clipping 10mm off the length of the uncompressed spring, but that often resulted in the TEV being open all the time and the bike running much too rich. Instead, start with clipping a very small amount. On my stock 2007 in the Boston area, clipping 1/2 of a round (about 1/8" or 3.175mm) off the uncompressed spring has eliminated all gunshot pops, at least so far. If you are at a higher elevation, start with even less. Place the cut end of the spring against the TEV cover to avoid puncturing the diaphragm in case you slip up.

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 00:12:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DAILY  HOT TIP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.