Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: DAILY  HOT TIP
Reply #225 - 05/14/12 at 09:29:43

verslagen1 wrote on 05/09/12 at 12:01:25:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/09/12 at 10:43:31:
Its cheap & acetone is easy to get, I guess,, IDK if fingernail polish remover IS acetone or Contains acetone,,

Contains acetone, perfume and conditioners are added... but you'll have the best smelling... bolts anywhere.   Roll Eyes

Yep, it is acetone and usually sold in a little  bottle of just a few ounces for the price of a quart can at a hardware store.
It's called marketing !  !

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #226 - 05/14/12 at 20:51:22

Inexpensive bulk unscented acetone in a big spray can = brake parts cleaner

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #227 - 05/15/12 at 21:47:11

I always keep a can of acetone handy. It's great for removing shoe scuff marks off tile floors, cleaning fiberglass like boat hulls etc. (do not use it on plastics or vinyl.)

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #228 - 05/15/12 at 22:23:00

Liquid wrench and pneumatic air guns... Bamm, how do you like me now???  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #229 - 05/16/12 at 04:24:46

Air tools are such labor savers. Even a panel cutter is super handy & cheap, cheap, cheap..Sometimes driving a bolt out of some rusty old thing just doesnt want to work ,, & a panel cutter will slam it out in a second, when a hammer & punch wouldnt budge it.
Another unlikely hero of the toolbox is a 1/4" air ratchet. Essential if youre putting the front end on a late 70's Lincoln, Theres a bunch of bolts up in there & swinging a ratchet up in there is almost impossible, So, buy a tool,, & it has been a great item, The battery box ,, what a pain, with a ratchet, but an air ratchet makes quick work of it,

If I didnt have a compressor, I would at least have one of these 1/4" drive impacts. I have a Ryobi. Ive been pleased, Im sure something out performs it,but I could pay for this one,,ya know?

Maybe we otta have a quick Tool Time thread.. So many options are out there that didnt even exist when I started collecting tools.

I just realized, Ive got air tools that Ive had & used for 30+ years. Theyve paid for themselves in saved time & trouble so many times I otta be rich.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #230 - 05/17/12 at 10:18:02

Remember those iron-on jean patches when you were a kid?...
You can still buy them...
Iron them on to the inside of the elbows and knees of your favorite jacket and ridin' jeans, for a light armor...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #231 - 06/26/12 at 19:31:19

Back to the panty hose thing, if I may....

I lived in Houston for 8 1/2 glorious years.  Working on my cars and bikes in my garage in the summer was a miserable experience.  It was not uncommon for the temp inside to reach 105-110.  Combine that with the attendant high humidity and you sweat.  A lot.

In fact, I'd sweat so much that, if I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt, sweat would run down my arms and on to the work.  Not good.  So, I would wear a set of long-sleeved coveralls to contain the sweat.

The main problem with the coveralls was that they'd get damp and stick to my skin.  This was a particularly vexing problem when it came to my legs, because the coveralls would cling to my knees, making it hard to get on the floor from a standing position.  Over the course of a day's work, it was enough to make me crazy.

Crazy enough to make me try wearing some panty hose under the coveralls one day.  I was afraid they'd be too hot.  Guess what?  Wearing them was actually cooler than not wearing them!  (I later figured out that they increased the surface area of sweat exposed to air, to the evaporation rate was increased, along with the attendant cooling effect.)  In addition, they made it easy to get up and down.....no coverall binding.

So, for you folks in hot, sticky climes who work in long pants - you should consider checking it out!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #232 - 06/26/12 at 20:11:58

how cool are they with shorts?   Huh   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #233 - 06/26/12 at 21:38:20

Dangitt, Digger, I wish I hadnt read that.. cuz now Im torn. I never wore them in the oil field, tho I knew some guys who did. Now I see they could help in the heat,, & Im still not thinking Ill be buying any,,But Im glad to see ya back, Hoser,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #234 - 06/27/12 at 20:25:07

verslagen1 wrote on 06/26/12 at 20:11:58:
how cool are they with shorts?   Huh   Shocked

I consider myself fairly sure of my manhood....but not THAT sure!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #235 - 06/27/12 at 20:35:58

hrmmm  perforated elastic on hairy legs.  I think not.  Shocked

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
lacon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knoxville, TN
Reply #236 - 08/05/12 at 04:12:58

I have not installed a kick stand spring on my Suzuki yet so don't know how stiff it is, but on my other bike it's more than I can manage to strech it out & slip it onto the lugs - especially so laying on my back.

For you other weaklings, measure how much you need to strech the spring.  Get a stack of coins or washers equal in height plus a little more.  They need to be the same thickness - not mixed.  Use whatever means available (come along, ratchet strap) to strech the spring out enough to insert the coins into the spaces opened up between the spring coils.  Then take the extended spring over to the bike, place it in position, & pull out the coins.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #237 - 08/05/12 at 09:57:33

You can get some room between coils by bending it,

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #238 - 08/05/12 at 20:39:54

lacon wrote on 08/05/12 at 04:12:58:
I have not installed a kick stand spring on my Suzuki yet so don't know how stiff it is, but on my other bike it's more than I can manage to strech it out & slip it onto the lugs - especially so laying on my back.

For you other weaklings, measure how much you need to strech the spring.  Get a stack of coins or washers equal in height plus a little more.  They need to be the same thickness - not mixed.  Use whatever means available (come along, ratchet strap) to strech the spring out enough to insert the coins into the spaces opened up between the spring coils.  Then take the extended spring over to the bike, place it in position, & pull out the coins.

That is a great tip!

I don't know if this would work on my Savage's (see signature block) kickstand spring setup, since it is one spring inside another (for a total of two different springs), but, in other cases (like the centerstand spring on my Gold Wing), here's what I do.

Before removing the spring in the first place, I move the centerstand around and find the position whereby the spring is at its maximum extension.  I then grab a handful of washers and, holding said centerstand in that particular position, stuff the washers into the spring until it can't take any more.  Then, moving the centerstand to a different position results in a "loose" spring.

Now, the spring can be removed easily and also replaced easily.  Works great!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #239 - 08/08/12 at 09:42:26

[quote author=7D505E5E5C4B390 link=1203470728/240#252 date=1344224394]lacon wrote on 08/05/12 at 04:12:58:
I don't know if this would work on my Savage's (see signature block) kickstand spring setup, since it is one spring inside another (for a total of two different springs), but, in other cases (like the centerstand spring on my Gold Wing), here's what I do.

Before removing the spring in the first place, I move the centerstand around and find the position whereby the spring is at its maximum extension.  I then grab a handful of washers and, holding said centerstand in that particular position, stuff the washers into the spring until it can't take any more.  Then, moving the centerstand to a different position results in a "loose" spring.

Now, the spring can be removed easily and also replaced easily.  Works great!

Yup,.. works great on a Savage...  Wink...
Saves a bunch of busted knuckles...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 22:59:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DAILY  HOT TIP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.