DAILY  HOT TIP (Read 18871 times)
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: DAILY  HOT TIP
Reply #240 - 08/09/12 at 07:15:37

[quote author=3325322F37222F34400 link=1203470728/240#253 date=1344444146]Digger wrote on 08/05/12 at 20:39:54:
lacon wrote on 08/05/12 at 04:12:58:
I don't know if this would work on my Savage's (see signature block) kickstand spring setup, since it is one spring inside another (for a total of two different springs), but, in other cases (like the centerstand spring on my Gold Wing), here's what I do.

Before removing the spring in the first place, I move the centerstand around and find the position whereby the spring is at its maximum extension.  I then grab a handful of washers and, holding said centerstand in that particular position, stuff the washers into the spring until it can't take any more.  Then, moving the centerstand to a different position results in a "loose" spring.

Now, the spring can be removed easily and also replaced easily.  Works great!

Yup,.. works great on a Savage...  Wink...
Saves a bunch of busted knuckles...

But Sero...ain't busted knuckles required to prove yer a real scooter tramp????? Roll Eyes

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
lrutt
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #241 - 10/08/12 at 07:34:04

for starting spark plugs down in a deep well of a head, use a 6" piece of rubber hose. I think it's around 3/8" or so. Slip that over the porceline and use it like a flex joint. Good thing is if you cross thread you can feel it or it spins in the rubber. Pretty hard to bugger up a plug thread using this method.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #242 - 10/08/12 at 08:36:22

I swiped a spark plug boot off a plug wire, works great, & use your antisieze,,

& Now, onto a new shop tip,,
I have ends of boxes filters came in taped to the wall, with a note telling me what it fits,
Yesterday, literaly watching paint Not dry, I decided a New Tool was in order, so,a trip to HF for a heat gun,, & in it, there was a spreadsheet showing what gauge extension cord to use for different applications, say, 5 amps, 100 feet, then what gauge, or 12 amps 100 feet, fatter wire,,so, I cut that out (it was the only No Duuh info in the pamphlet) & taped it up.

I leave notes on things, like the pressure washer. Start that thing up w/o water running into the pump? Wreck the pump, so, I have duct tape
& wrote "DonT Start Without Water" or some such on it,, THen, I put 2" clear packing tape over it to protect the writing.
Ive put instructions on the Junction box on the compressor, which way to turn which screws to adjust Kick OUt & Kick In pressures, covered that w/ clear.

Got a small shop & lots of stuff? When it was being built, I had them put a 8x10 loft in, since Im short, the bottom of the supports are kinda low, but its something a guy Could add if the roof was high enough.

& I hang stuff up. I have a stick with a wire shaped like a fancy 7 & it allows my short self to hang things up outta the way. I bagged the heat gun up & labeled it & hung it HIGH, because Ive never had one, never HAD to have one & I doubt Ill ever try to use it again,
And NO, IT didnt do what I needed. I hadda go down to storage & get the 50,000 BTU Jet Engine lookin heater & set it on a table aimed at the boards & even then it took a coupla hours of off & on, heat them up, let them cool, to get them dry enough to work with,

As for shaping a wire for lifting like that, think cantilever. IDK exactly why, years of messin with stuff, whatever, but I can see a shape in my head & know its gonna work, IDK if others share that, But, if youre needing a model, go to a department store & ask someone to show you a shirt thats hangin up high. They have a tool thats shaped right, IIRC, Dillards does,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #243 - 10/16/12 at 09:57:34

Here's a simple tip for those of you running the stock tail light assy. and turn signals, that might help make your bulbs last longer. Smear a little white lithium grease on the base of the bulbs and stick them back in the sockets.

Quite often those kind of bulbs quit working not because the filament breaks but because the contacts on the base of the bulb get flattened out from vibration. The grease acts as a cushion and dampens out the vibrations. Also gives a little corrosion protection.

This works for other stuff that vibrates or gets banged around a lot - tractors, ATVs, utility trailers etc. Used to be a common practice in the truck - construction equipment repair buisness before that industry started switching to LEDs.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #244 - 10/16/12 at 16:09:44

OldNSlow aint no dummy,,thats a good tip.. Ill file that away.

The only lithium grease I have is in a spray can,, where you get that? Tube? Bucket>?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #245 - 10/17/12 at 07:08:40

Lotta folks I know would argue about the dummy part, but yes I use a spray can. I just squirt it on my fingers and then wipe it on the bulb. Lubriplate out of a tube or a friction top can works too.

IP Logged
rick1115
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #246 - 11/15/12 at 18:48:12

Back to the panty hose debate. When I was a young feller, we rode horses all the time and after a few hours in the saddle, we would start to get saddle sore. All except my Dad. When I got older and bought my first bike, I would have the same problem with a chapped butt. That was when my Dad revealed his secret of a nice ride. He wore a pair of my Mothers silk panties under his Levi's when he rode horses and also when he rode his 1934 Indian Chief in his youth. So I started cutting the legs off of my wifes old panty hose and wearing just the pants part. Keeps you cool and doesn't let your butt get chapped. Old former Marine here, and I ain't skeered 'cause its all about the ride.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #247 - 11/17/12 at 03:49:50

Hey Rick I have a friend who used to wear panty hose under his jeans in the summer to keep cool and reduce chaffing, and he swore by them.  Doesn't seem like much of a difference from the Under Armor stuff they sell other then it's probably a bit lighter and alot less expensive  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
cigarandcoffeeman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #248 - 01/09/13 at 06:11:25

I see I've been doing it wrong then by wearing them on the outside  Cheesy

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #249 - 01/13/13 at 09:12:29

Keep a few rolls of blue painter's tape in your work area. I put it on the bike whenever I'm working on it to prevent accidental scratches. For instance, when I remove fenders I'll put some on each side so when I slide them in or out I don't accidentally scratch them. After reinstall I just remove the tape. Or when I take handlebars off I put some on the forks so when I remove the controls and go to lay them next to the fork and zip tie them in place that I don't scratch the forks or controls. I've had it happen before where the controls, as I was moving them, accidentally slip and drop down and hit the forks. Or where turning a ratchet I might hit the frame or painted part- slap a piece there too.  Also I'll put some on the headlight before removing it. You never know what might accidentally happen. Even when the headlight is sitting "safely" on a shelf things have happened that could have scratched it.

This little thing has saved me from many little scratches.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #250 - 01/21/13 at 09:51:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/18/12 at 14:32:17:
Ive seen a bunch of people who focus by looking thru the tiny aperture of their anal sphincter.

Grin

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #251 - 04/17/13 at 19:34:04

Save those fake gift/credit/membership cards that you get in mailer ads...(I get a Kohl's 10% off, almost every month)...
They make great gasket scrapers... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #252 - 04/20/13 at 10:35:47

Remember also that those things that come with a card that has a
No Postage Necessary
reply means exactly what it means. YOu can mail that back to the place thats been sending you "Come Ons". You can also wrap a cinder block in brown paper & tape it onto that & THEY get to pay the return postage, almost Gay RAWN Teee in youll never hear from them again.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #253 - 04/20/13 at 12:03:41

Remember also that those things that come with a card that has a
No Postage Necessary
reply means exactly what it means. YOu can mail that back to the place thats been sending you "Come Ons". You can also wrap a cinder block in brown paper & tape it onto that & THEY get to pay the return postage, almost Gay RAWN Teee in youll never hear from them again.

[Now thats a good idea. Grin]

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #254 - 05/04/13 at 04:23:53

HAHAHAHA good one JOG   Grin

I can just picture the 18 year old working in the mail room recieving scratching his head as to whose desk to put it on  Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 12:39:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DAILY  HOT TIP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.