Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
Send Topic Print
Ed L. Forward Controls (Read 25187 times)
torque1257
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: They're Ready !!!
Reply #30 - 06/18/08 at 14:47:37

ED, When will you have a set ready, and how detailed are the installation instructions, I am new to motorcycles and not the best wrench turner I know but I can usually get by with the right amount of detailed help.  btw I am 6'2" would five inches be too long? I have the buck horn handlebars too if that makes any difference in letting me know if 5 is too much.
I also have an 87 so I would like to know if they will fit right out of the box with no fabrication and rigging on my end. thanks a lot.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #31 - 06/18/08 at 15:45:00

Torque, I just finished a batch and have some ready to go. I'm 6'2" and have been using a 4 inch set for a few years with no problem. I would recommend a 4 inch set unless you have real long legs. I've tried to make the kit as simple as possible and have made a couple of changes to make the installation easier. I also include written step by step instructions along with a picture CD of the installation on my bike.
Can't say that they are real easy to install but everybody who has got them on love them. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
tercel29
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 06/19/08 at 11:07:35

Ed, I'm 5'7" and I;m thinking the 3" set would be good, do you  agree and do you have any ready?
thanks

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #33 - 06/19/08 at 14:05:26

Tercel, I can cut a 3 inch set out for you, only have 4 inchers ready right now. Shoot me a PM if you want a 3 inch set and I'll work on it over the weekend.
Ed

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #34 - 06/21/08 at 13:41:49

Hey Ed,

That template is in the mail.

I just installed my 4" set (i'm 6' 0") and all I can say is WOW!  This is what this bike needed.  Now my butt gets tired way before my legs!

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #35 - 06/21/08 at 17:43:34

toddlamp8 wrote on 06/21/08 at 13:41:49:
Now my butt gets tired way before my legs!
Mine feel superb for about 15 minutes, but then I realise that a cruiser/custom seat position only feels good for that long - for longer trips, I'm afraid the Japs have it right with their tourers and sport bikes.

That said, the Ed L forward control extension is absolutely first-rate for the Savage - turned a fairly good little bike into a beauty for me!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #36 - 06/24/08 at 17:48:59

Ed, Kwaknut,

Could you two possibly collaborate on the plates.  I am interested in a set for a 4" extension, but I was wondering if KwakNut could provide a template for the modifications he made to the stock plates?  I really think they look, (no offense intended) better than the original.  

I would expect there to be an additional tooling cost and will gladly pay it.  

If you weren't in England, Kwaknut, I'd buy a set and send them to you to be cut.  I really think what you did to the control plates looks awesome......

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #37 - 06/24/08 at 19:19:01

Ed,
 Any 4" sets available???

T Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #38 - 06/25/08 at 01:14:21

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 06/24/08 at 17:48:59:
Ed, Kwaknut,
Could you two possibly collaborate on the plates.  I am interested in a set for a 4" extension, but I was wondering if KwakNut could provide a template for the modifications he made to the stock plates?  I really think they look, (no offense intended) better than the original.  
If you weren't in England, Kwaknut, I'd buy a set and send them to you to be cut.  I really think what you did to the control plates looks awesome......
I just tweaked Ed's great idea a little, and can take little credit for that.  

I was intending to make a paper template when I fitted mine, because medium term I intended to have some made out of mild steel so I could chrome them (I didn't want to polish alloy down there because it would be a swine to keep polished).

However - I forgot!  So unless I take the bike apart again it's no-can-do.  That said, I'll look through the photos I have - it should be possible to reverse-engineer from the photos and some on-bike measurements to come up with an accurate template.

That said, I do have a spare set of foot controls, so if anybody has a 'standard' Ed L template they could email me, I could duplicate the modfication process and email back to modified pattern.

Isaac Newton was patted on the back a lot for his discoveries, and came out with the classic line "If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants", which meant his achieements were the result of greater progress by those before him.

In a very small way, I guess that's how these foot controls have evolved, and Ed's the giant here!!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #39 - 06/25/08 at 05:21:13

I don't want EdL to take it the wrong way.  He indeed invented these extension plates.  He deserves all the credit and all the attention.

Its just that I find the simplicity of his design a bit industrial.  I like what KwakNut did by adding convex and concave radii and reshaping the extensions.  It looks a bit more, well, classy.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
newrider55
YaBB Newbies

New rider and loving
it.

Climax, MI
Reply #40 - 06/25/08 at 05:26:19

Ed L.

I am considering a couple sets but trying to decide on length.  Since you are 6'2 what is your inseam.  I am 5'10 and  wife is 5'7 and both interested in forward controls.  I think the inseam would get us the best estimate.

Thanks

Tony

'97 Black LS650
Supertrapp, Mod Carb
'02 Silver LS650 Stock
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #41 - 06/25/08 at 07:00:34

I've a 32 inch inseam, I would think a 2 1/2 or 3 inch extension would be about right for both you and your wife. Let me know if you are interested, I'm getting ready to start another batch.
Thanks

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #42 - 06/25/08 at 08:49:39

Ed,

Did you get my template?

I believe those changes would be necessary for installing on an 86-88 models.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #43 - 06/25/08 at 10:57:58

^^ What are the differences on an 86-88?

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #44 - 06/25/08 at 12:51:17

KwakNut wrote on 06/25/08 at 01:14:21:
skrapiron -FSO wrote on 06/24/08 at 17:48:59:
Ed, Kwaknut,
I just tweaked Ed's great idea a little, and can take little credit for that.  

I was intending to make a paper template when I fitted mine, because medium term I intended to have some made out of mild steel so I could chrome them (I didn't want to polish alloy down there because it would be a swine to keep polished).

However - I forgot!  So unless I take the bike apart again it's no-can-do.  That said, I'll look through the photos I have - it should be possible to reverse-engineer from the photos and some on-bike measurements to come up with an accurate template.

That said, I do have a spare set of foot controls, so if anybody has a 'standard' Ed L template they could email me, I could duplicate the modfication process and email back to modified pattern.

Isaac Newton was patted on the back a lot for his discoveries, and came out with the classic line "If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants", which meant his achieements were the result of greater progress by those before him.

In a very small way, I guess that's how these foot controls have evolved, and Ed's the giant here!!

I don't want to take anything away from Ed L. for he has provided a very great service in making and selling his forward controls to us but I feel I need to set the record straight a bit. Nightrain actually created the first home built forward controls. However he doesn't seem to be on the forum anymore as he has not posted in a very long time.

It was Nightrain's design that I used (with slight modifications) to make my forward controls. I hope no one gets upset with me for mentioning this.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1115652141

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 38
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 21:40:04

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Ed L. Forward Controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.