Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38
Send Topic Print
Ed L. Forward Controls (Read 25187 times)
skoeter
YaBB Newbies

'62 Born on '86
Savage

Netherlands Schiedam
Re: Ed L. Forward Controls (save thread for refere
Reply #60 - 11/03/08 at 00:12:25

Hi Ed, if you deliver in the Netherlands (by mail) ........ sign me up. Looks great Shocked

by the way.... I posted a link to this topic on my dutch savage site so I might end up ordering some more for other members there which will lower overhead costs a person here Wink

http://www.suzukisavage.nl/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=375.html

WWW   IP Logged
88pagan

God is just an
imaginary friend for
adults..

Norco, California
Reply #61 - 01/07/09 at 18:57:44

Got a chance to take the new controls out for a spin today and I gotta tell you guys..what a world of difference! For anyone looking into more comfort I'd highly suggest these. They polished up real nice also. I didn't bother to take pictures throughout the process because nobody commented on the need. Maybe I'll post an after pic of the installed, polished pcs though. I'm 5'7" and put on the 4" extensions. They feel perfect and actually I could have almost gone bigger. Maybe one day I'll purchase another set and put these up for sale. Thanks again Ed!

96 Bobber - Screamin Eagle, header wrap, K+N cone filter, jetted, straight bar w/1.5" risers, solo seat, Ed. L fwd ctrls, custom rear fender, TKat, Metallic charcoal and polished all over.
  IP Logged
Tony01
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 01/09/09 at 18:31:11

PM sent.  Smiley

TOny.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #63 - 01/10/09 at 11:54:19

All,
  I have the Ed L. extensions on for several months now.  Love them.

Of course, I tweaked them in several ways.  I got the ideas from several others here.

1) trimmed them down for more streamlined look. You  have to be real careful on where to trim.

2) Made a bracket to move the heat sheild up a bit so that I don't burn pants legs. For saftey reasons, Highly recommended. (see link to picture below)

3) I put a piece of "ALL-Thread" between the two plate which greatly stiffened up the extensions. For those of you that normally don't fidget with things, All-thread is steel rod that is threaded the whole lenght.  I used 3/8" size which is normally available at many hardware stores.  (You will need 4 nuts too) Highly recommended. (see link to picture below).

See picture at > : Picture

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #64 - 01/10/09 at 17:43:28

Trimming the plates is fine, I have no problem with turning them into what you want. I'm just glad that you can take them another step further. I've started offering a cross brace with the kits which is a piece of 3/8 all thread rod and a length of medium walled tubing  for an extra 5 bucks which only covers my cost for materials. This cross brace was recommended by Toymaker and it seemed like a good idea. I can't add a tab onto the right side plate to relocate the heat shield without using up a lot more aluminum. The tab would need to be on the top of the plate and would involve a lot more cutting and waste which would affect the final cost of a set. The piece of flat stock to move the heat shield is a great idea, I just haven't tried to include something simular with the sets. Thanks for all the feedback I have been getting on how to improve the kits, I have made quite a few changes from the orignial set which is still being used on my bike Cheesy.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
BBQGeo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Reply #65 - 01/10/09 at 20:19:41

Sent PM

Thanks Ed L.

George

« Last Edit: 01/11/09 at 13:24:33 by BBQGeo »  
  IP Logged
slicknick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 01/14/09 at 20:34:17

definitely registered on these forums just to talk to you haha... anyways, yeah im 6'4 and I am in dire need of your 5" extensions. sending PM now...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #67 - 01/16/09 at 07:39:26

Got it Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #68 - 01/16/09 at 12:55:13

Im in the middle of putting my plates on, and I guess this is for Ed or anyone else on here, has anyone had any trouble putting the mounting bracket for the brake cable and brake light cable on the plates? I just want to make sure I didn't do something wrong, because it took quite a bit of finagling to get it on there. It may just be the size of the bolt head I used.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #69 - 01/16/09 at 16:52:17

What was getting in the way? It is a tight fit between the bolt head and cable, would changing the design over to a smaller bolt like a 5/16 be better?

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #70 - 01/16/09 at 22:49:25

Well I was able to get it on there, but I wasn't able to slide the rubber protective covering down over the brake cable. Once I did a little grinding on the bolt head, there was no problem. I was just wondering if you or anyone else had experienced this problem. Not a big deal really, I wanted to make sure I did it right you know?

IP Logged
Crudely Fashioned
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 01/18/09 at 13:36:51

Hello. I am a new owner of an '86 Savage and was wondering if you're still selling your forward controls.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #72 - 01/18/09 at 19:33:50

Crude Dude, yes I'm still making them. I'm out of town for a few days without any internet access so send me a PM and I'll get back with you in about a week.

IP Logged
bluesavage218
Alliance Member

Chicks dig it.

Jackson, TN
Reply #73 - 01/25/09 at 15:00:53

Just installed Ed's controls with the new cross brace.

IP Logged
bigarmzz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 01/30/09 at 13:29:23

Ed L. wrote on 01/16/09 at 07:39:26:
Got it Wink

hey ed, how much does a set of your forward control extensions cost? i'm in the process of buying a 05, thanks alot

klambert@cebridge.net

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 38
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/12/24 at 03:04:36

General CategoryThe Marketplace › Ed L. Forward Controls

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.