Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike" (Read 642 times)
jkhulon73
Ex Member

Re: I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike&am
Reply #15 - 09/17/07 at 09:00:25

Just got back about... twenty minutes ago from the test run. This mod is Fantastic! It was like riding a new bike! I felt a lot more... confident going through the twisties on a little back road 'round the corner. And that 'rhumba" vibration I'd mentioned somewhere else? Gone.

Pretty sweet.

http://home.comcast.net/~joehulon/BnA_lowered_sm.jpg

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike&qu
Reply #16 - 09/17/07 at 09:32:50

Since I raised the rear with 12.5" Progressive shocks, I don't think I want to lower the front.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #17 - 09/17/07 at 10:04:50

Glad to here it worked for you. its like having a new bike. like what everyone said before,it looks good too.

97 savage: BOBJOB
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #18 - 09/18/07 at 06:06:53

Hi Corey
I am waiting for some extra springs that I ordered from a company here in Sweden, because I didnt want to cut original ones, I ordered 140mm 5,51inch (original 182mm 7.17 inch) because it was a standard spring, they measured one of the original ones for the springrate and got a figure 36 the new ones have a rate of 48 so they are stiffer, I might have to make spacers for 10 mm but we will see.
Next thing is to go for the front fork.
When both front and resr lowered did you have to make any chances for the side stand?
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #19 - 09/18/07 at 06:15:32

No actually i didnt need to, it is close though if you were to park anywhere with a slope away from the kickstand it would fall it is almost perfectly perpendicular to the ground. but to fix that all you would have to heat the stand up with a torch and bend it a little.

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #20 - 10/11/07 at 13:59:36

Hi Cory
The spacer you did, if I measure in your picture about 5,5 cm (a bit longer then 2 inch) I plan to only go for 4 cm, but my question is did you make the hole 20 mm or did you go a bit bigger, was it tight to put on or did you make the spacer a bit wider at the centerhole? Outer dia did you make that app. 30 mm.
I have taken the hole front forks apart and cleaned everything, going to change the seals as well when doing the lowering. Did you use aluminium or SS for the spacers?
Howe mutch less did you cut the top spacer compared to the spacer at the bottom to get some extra preload on the spring?.
Sorry for all the questins, but want to have some figures that I can use.
Thanks in adwance Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #21 - 10/18/07 at 01:29:31

Done with the lowering fork, everything came out perfect with howe mutch its lowered and the preload, but there is one thing that happend so have have to redo it.
What I did was using to separate spacers in eaght tube that I had, one straigth pipe for 2 cm and one with a small extra ring at the top against the spring, this make the spacer with the extra ring moving slower in the forkoil and make a sound when hitting the other spacer. Hope you understand what I try to explaine.
Now for the question for Cory and other that have done this mode, have any of you heard a sound from the fork when pressing it together hard and quick or is it because I used 2 separate ones instead of only one?
Anyone have the figures what high the front blinkers are from ground at center standing strait up, I did forget to measure the hight before I lowered the bike?
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #22 - 10/18/07 at 19:12:20

I think it is b/c you used to separate spacers for the drop, I haven't heard any noise from mine( the last time I got to ride it that is). I would not worry to much about it now but to get rid of the noise I would think that you need to use on spacer .

IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #23 - 10/19/07 at 08:09:21

Iam not worried for the sound at all and the bike did ride wery well, I didnt put in some extra preload at all  but I change to a thicker oil 20w - 30 and that was enought for preload, started with 2 cm extra for the spring. I came in from the garage 5 minutes ago and I started to remove everything again to change to solid spacers, I know that if I dont do it right away its going to be there, so the forks are hangeing upsidedown for draning for the moment.
The bike locks like this with both front (1,57 inch spacer)and rear (1 inch at the shock) lowered.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/22/07 at 16:21:44

What size spacers do you need? I mean diameter wise. And where to get them?

IP Logged
cFLOW

life is great

Bootheel MO
Reply #25 - 10/22/07 at 16:36:13

I personally used some pieces of handlebars that I had lying around so something around 7/8' I.D. or close not exactly sure.

IP Logged
Michael L

brumm..!

Denmark
Re: I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike"
Reply #26 - 02/20/14 at 09:34:32

cFLOW, did you assemble the forks with the spacer located as on the pic??? In that case it's in the wrong order. Spacer goes on first, and then the spring.. Maybe that was what you guys were talking about earlier in the thread, about the clonky noise..?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 02/20/14 at 12:52:59

Michael L wrote on 02/20/14 at 09:34:32:
cFLOW, did you assemble the forks with the spacer located as on the pic??? In that case it's in the wrong order. Spacer goes on first, and then the spring.. Maybe that was what you guys were talking about earlier in the thread, about the clonky noise..?

Michael L.

cFlow has not been on this site is 4.5 years.  If you click on the forum name, you can see when the last time a person logged on or posted on this site.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
nhbiker1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/27/14 at 19:09:32

will lowering your front end change the rake & trail for the better?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 09:07:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I DID IT YEAH. "ride like a sport bike"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.