Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Alrighty...chopper time. (Read 372 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Alrighty...chopper time.
Reply #45 - 07/26/07 at 22:06:59

I understand what your saying, I reckon I'll just look for the KX500 front ends then, or the what did you say your front end came from? A Yamaha?

That's okay about the bike being more raked than it looks, because that is what I want.  8) 8)

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #46 - 07/26/07 at 22:47:18

If you got a full KX top to bottom - that is the best.
I have KX triples and stem, the legs on down are YZ250 yamaha. I had to make 2.5 mm spacers for brakes, wheel etc. All KX - you get to avoid that. I am looking for a KX brake caliper, if I get that, I may go to all an KX setup.
Also I believe the mid 80's KLX550 or KLE ??? or whatever 550 had 38 mm fork legs. it was a street biek and while its legs were a shade shorter than a true dirt bike, it was stiffer for springs I believe.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #47 - 07/28/07 at 23:25:29

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Okay, that is exactly the extension I am looking for for the FireLizard. Now I know what I am looking for and when I get a chance I will be going up to the guy I got my tank from and see what he has.

But before I decide on a dirtbike front end, I will taking a tape measure and see if he has any longer forks of the correct diameter that will just swap right into the Savage triple trees.

I've had the 38mm dirt bike forks under consideration too, but I noticed that the ones I keep finding are from old 80s 125cc and 250cc dirt bikes which were probably even lighter than a Savage.

Add my 250+, I'm also seeing now that skinny 38mm legs may be alright extended 4" on my chopper; but under the rigors of dual purpose, or other performance use, it probably wouldn't be a good idea. So... I'm going to leave the 4" over 38mm on the chopper, but any Savage built for really hard riding of any kind, would probably be better off with bigger front tubes.

A quick look at the Savage's stock trees shows that there isn't enough excess metal to be machining those holes out for bigger tubes... So, it seems the logical option is to change the whole assembly out as others here here are doing with either dirt bike forks, or on the other thread, the big Marauder tubes.

Ain't parts swapping fun? Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #48 - 07/29/07 at 10:07:41

Oddly a dual purpose bike needs a steeper rake. I doubt that 40+ degree on the savage will work after you slap a long travel FE on it.
Maybe raise the back 6 inches and derake it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #49 - 07/29/07 at 11:37:27

Well, I don't plan on using the FireLizard as a dual purpose, it will be strictly a street cruiser. So I'm not too worried about building it for rough riding in the dirt. I do want it to be strong enough to handle hard braking, and acceleration though because of the crazy cagers around here who think because they have all that metal around them they can get by with anything.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #50 - 07/29/07 at 15:36:37

I just discovered ... I dont have a caliper for the thing, the one I got off a newer YZ doesn't fit, so I am back to square 1 - sorta ... I can make an adapter plate. 1/2 inch space there ... Ideal for an adapter plate for the thing.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #51 - 07/29/07 at 16:38:24

Too bad you haven't been taking step by step pics of how you are building your bike. I would love to see exactly how you made the spacer for the tree stem and how you are gonna make the caliper spacer.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #52 - 07/29/07 at 19:26:46

Stem spacer in mine is a larger stem nut off a different bike. You can take a piece of pipe and chop it, or drill a hole in a round 2 inch bar stock cut to the right thickness, or a large washer or 2 ... you can miss the thinckness by a good bit and still make out OK, tons of tightenng room on the actual collar nut and the top triple. Hardly worth documenting.
BTW, this whole project is much much much easier than the standard GS500 frame, katana front end swap. Which BTW I did concurrently and its still not done (though not due to lack of know how).
Anyway I am torn between a brake caliper adapter plate, exact 1/2 inch gap and its prefect for an adapter plate, or full on KX ... if I find a useable caliper for it and most of the missing, busted stuff.
The KX has a huge drilled disk, and double axle drop outs, the YZ disc is much smaller and thinnner and single axle drops. KX front end also is stiffer for springs than the YZ.
Single donor bike also makes for less confusion when buying parts in the future.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #53 - 02/07/08 at 16:42:48

I've been looking around for the KX500 forks and triple trees I will be needing to chopper the FireLizard, however I'm not having much luck.

But so far I have found a couple of guys who definitely deserve the moron award.

Harley Davidson salesperson: "Harley handle bars won't fit on a Suzuki."

Kid at a bike bone yard we call Bullet Bobs.

Me: "I'm looking for the triple trees and forks off of a KX500."

Kid: "KX500? Is that a Honda?"

Me: "No, it's a Kawasaki."

Kid: "Oh, let's go inside and see what we have."

Me: "I'm gonna use them to put on my Savage to turn it into a chopper."

Kid: "So you'll need it titled? Since you're building a trike."

Me: "No I only need the forks and triple trees because I am building a Chopper "

Kid: "So you'll need the title for the trike your building."

Me: "Is Bob going to be around?"

Kid: "He had a motocross accident, he'll be laid up for a while."

Me: "Thanks, I'll see ya later."

So, who do you think deserves the moron award most?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #54 - 02/07/08 at 20:30:56

likely the HD salesman, at least over time the yard kid will learn something useful

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 02/07/08 at 21:20:31

For a harley guy to beleave anyone else made a cruiser, you might as well go sell refrigerators to eskimo's.

And that kid had something to sell, you just weren't buying...

So, for missing 2 obvious oportunities to play with 2 closed minds.... I nominate  you bud.  But I'll mark it up to temporary insanty.  Gees, actually expecting someone behind the counter as being useful.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #56 - 02/08/08 at 09:22:27

verslagen1 wrote on 02/07/08 at 21:20:31:
For a harley guy to beleave anyone else made a cruiser, you might as well go sell refrigerators to eskimo's.

And that kid had something to sell, you just weren't buying...

So, for missing 2 obvious oportunities to play with 2 closed minds.... I nominate  you bud.  But I'll mark it up to temporary insanty.  Gees, actually expecting someone behind the counter as being useful.   Grin

Actually, after the salesman I went to the parts desk and he was actually helpful. He also expressed surprise and delight on seeing someone who is willing to modify/fabricate things to make stuff fit. We got to talking about after market tanks and such and he gave me some ideas.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #57 - 02/08/08 at 09:58:58

Good.  You brought another Harley rider back to the Light Grin

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #58 - 02/08/08 at 12:22:46

verslagen1 wrote on 02/07/08 at 21:20:31:
So, for missing 2 obvious oportunities to play with 2 closed minds.... I nominate  you bud. Grin

My wife agrees with you. I missed a golden opportunity to mess with their heads.  Wink Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #59 - 02/09/08 at 20:02:09

Savage_Greg wrote on 02/08/08 at 09:58:58:
Good.  You brought another Harley rider back to the Light Grin

Naw, some independant was moonlighting at the HD stealership.  Must've restored his faith in humanity to talk to someone who didn't need some bling to just bolt on.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 18:21:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alrighty...chopper time.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.