Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Alrighty...chopper time. (Read 372 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Alrighty...chopper time.
Reply #30 - 07/17/07 at 17:53:25

srinath wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
One more point about dirt bike parts ...
Dirt bikes are usually owned by kids or other people who literally ride and ride and ride and never ever maintain it.
Just cos its got dirt in the name doesn't mean its meant to live in the dirt all the time.
I have had the whole hub of the front wheel shatter while trying to knock the axle out ... had this beautiful upside down FE, only to have 3 of the 4 lower triple bolts strip and never come off, and the steering stem tore and didn't come off ...
I had to tear open 10 different bikes to get 1 useable combo.
But ... 84-89 KX500 ... everything will fit straight in if you got one as a unit. Wont cost ya more than 200 ... if ever I find it at my local place.
Cool.
Srinath.

Are you saying that an 84-89 KX500 trees and forks will bolt directly onto the Savage frame without mods?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #31 - 07/17/07 at 20:47:24

84-89 KX500 handle bars down all the way to front wheel ... straight in ... yes will fit a savage.
Item/s you'd have to make/source - a neck spacer. Its steering stem is  ~ 1/4 inch too long. Yup, that's it, and yea its got 7/8th bars, you'd have to a slide1 inch over the grip area etc.
I am planning to string up the bike tommorow for rear tire fit. I'll take a pic or 10 ... but remember, mine has YZ250 legs and wheel and what ever ... that was all I found. The KX stuff shattered ... would have been so cool if I had KX, KX has double axle drop outs ... YZ has 1 ... and I have to fiddle with fork brake (yet to be fabbed up) if I wanna use it ... KX, take off 8 10 mm bolts and the whole wheel axle, disk etc fall out.
Yea, but the freaking wheel shattered the darn bearing area in it.
KX top triple will even take a riser set made for a harley and teh 1 inch bar ... I had to make nylon bushings ... but I can make some for~10 bucks a pair. For a spacer use a larger neck adjustment collar. Pics ... yea pics will show you. Yea, complete with dirt bike tire, make a small L bracket and head light goes on as well.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #32 - 07/18/07 at 12:18:55

Okay, next question, what I am looking for is to give the FireLizard a chopper look, how much longer are a KX500's forks?

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 07/18/07 at 21:02:40

As it is ~4-5 inches ... like along its legs to the ground. but its got ~6 inches of sag. You wanna keep that to~2 inches and preload or air pressure the rest. You also must make up a fork brace which will have to carry a fender too.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #34 - 07/18/07 at 21:19:34

Thanks Srinath, I now know what I am gonna try to do. Wish me luck.  Grin

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #35 - 07/19/07 at 06:14:13

How to put up pics ???
And yes best of luck - and yea I am also no where near it done.
Should I try that gallery you got.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #36 - 07/19/07 at 19:39:34

To post pics you first have to upload them to another site such as bikepics or even myspace, then link them. There's a thread on the top here that tells you how to do it.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #37 - 07/25/07 at 20:24:53

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #38 - 07/26/07 at 04:56:54

srinath wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

That only works for Yahoo! members who are logged in.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #39 - 07/26/07 at 10:33:14

srinath... for purposes of this discussion, I am hosting your pictures; which I downloaded from the Yahoo site. As mentioned, I could only look at them on Yahoo because I am on Yahoo, registered and logged in. To get your pictures to show here, I copied them to my server (also on Yahoo). But since my server space is a commercial paid for service, I can post pictures and let anyone look at them, or I can restrict them with a password at my choice. What you need to do in the future to post pictures here, is: upload your pictures to a free site like bikepics; or another which allows direct linking to the pictures (Yahoo Groups free hosting does not allow direct linking to photos they host).

Once uploaded to a site like bikepics, you just click the little picture icon at the top of the "post reply" box: fourth icon on the bottom row; then paste the URL from the location bar at the top of the browser window between the image tags. The image tags that tell the YABBC to put a picture into the message, will look like this: ]pic[ and ]/pic[ except the brackets will all be turned around the other way. I did them backwards so the board's software (YABB) wouldn't think I was actually trying to post a picture. Get it?

Anyways... I have server space and bandwidth to spare on my web site for now. So Here's your pictures:

Now, back to the discussion at hand:

I appreciate your showing those pics, because I have learned several things by just looking at them. First off, the trees don't have much "offset" (where the fork legs are forward of the stem/tube.) This of course will affect your whole steering geometry, as will having the leading axle: (where the axle is in front of the fork leg; instead of directly below it). Of course you are going to gain whatever extra length the new fork tubes provide, and you will be able to just put a street tire on it, and run it as-is. But those dirt bike trees aren't very pretty if someone is wanting a longer front end for their street bike/chopper. I'd still just recommend some 4" longer tubes from Frank's for a couple hundred dollars.

However, in order to make the suspension work as I might if trying to make a "street tracker" or dual sport Savage, your pictures have brought home to me the fact: that to really raise the bike up; get ground clearance, and have acceptable steering, it would be necessary to take -5º or more rake away from the fork tube angle.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #40 - 07/26/07 at 13:09:11

5 degree ... OK it only like gained 8-9. BTW the forks are very very squishy, need tons more preload. They have 5-6 inches of sag.
I'll get it on the road and see what it feels like. If I think it can handle extra raking, I'll slice up a frame and try it.
And, no part of a used 80's dirt bike bought from a junkyard is ever going to be pretty.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #41 - 07/26/07 at 14:09:27

Yeah, the 5º I mentioned was 5º LESS: If, as I've considered, building a dual purpose Savage. If you're sticking to the street, I would keep the 35º but not add any rake. As for the "squish" I'm guessing that you know that you can just put spacers in on top of the fork springs, and pre-load them more. There's just a limit to how much you can pre-load them before you have no floating travel, and they'll top out all the time. But basically, I think your setup looks cool, and is a cheap work around to the too-expensive chopper kits. All that extra travel should make it ride nice and soft too! Grin

Are you going to keep the 21" front wheel, or go back to a 19?"

Tell me that, and I can give you a rough guesstimate of what your trail aspect will be like. That is one reason the dirt bikes went to the leading axle setup years ago: to get the trail figures back into a tolerable measurement. That way dirt bikes can have a steep rake angle for quick turning, and still have enough trail to be able to steer in a straight line.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #42 - 07/26/07 at 17:53:51

Yup on the preload. We need ~1.5 inch sag with my weight on it, but this has 5-6 inch without any weight, heck 1/2 the stuff isn't even on the bike.
I am staying with 21 wheel. Just fitting street tires.
Its definetly raked out, cos the side stand is literally a battery thickness too short (3-4 inches).
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #43 - 07/26/07 at 22:00:42

Okay, that is exactly the extension I am looking for for the FireLizard. Now I know what I am looking for and when I get a chance I will be going up to the guy I got my tank from and see what he has.

But before I decide on a dirtbike front end, I will taking a tape measure and see if he has any longer forks of the correct diameter that will just swap right into the Savage triple trees.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #44 - 07/26/07 at 22:05:18

Longer = flexier. You do want the larger thicker tube cos its stronger, stiffer and what not. The 21 inch wheel is also  Grin ... IMHO.
The bike is more raked than the pics make it look. Seriously, side stand is so far short, its not even funny ...
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 17:01:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alrighty...chopper time.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.