Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
caring for my new big cranky (Read 144 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
caring for my new big cranky
02/09/08 at 18:43:49

after two failed batteries (because nobody ever made sure I was charging them)

I ordered a big crank and a nice charger with the pigtails.  I'm just looking for some care advice from Big Crank users.  How often should I charge the thing?  Is there a point at which its unsafe to keep the charger hooked up?

Also, I ordered regular shipping (to LA).  5 days?  All the riders here are back out because spring is starting.  Im sad, stuck all bikeless.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: caring for my new big cranky
Reply #1 - 02/09/08 at 19:50:59

Me, I do not charge the BigCranks are AGM and their discharge rate is very low a couple percent per month, if you ride the bike now then I'd not worry about it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/09/08 at 20:10:56

I ride almost daily, never have charged the new big crank.  Stopped riding just recently for 2 weeks cause of rain and illness.  Started right up, no problem.  Went to prime, made sure the bowl wasn't dry, coke 2nd stop (cold morning).  Buhaha   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 02/10/08 at 00:41:50

I don't bother with chargers on my Big Crank batteries either. My 99 Savage gets ridden enough to stay charged. And though my 87 doesn't get ridden for lack of pegs and other needed minor fixes... I just start it for about 10-15 minutes once a week and let it set in the cool outside air at a high idle; then push it back in the garage. So far it has started flawlessly all winter. They really are about as near "maintenance free" as a lead acid battery can get.  Cool

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 02/10/08 at 05:04:33

My bike has a Big crank in it and never had a problem with it. My bike sits all winter long (Nov-April). So I have a Battery Tender Jr. hooked up for the entire winter. I do go out and start it every couple of weeks. I can't wait till all this snow melts and i can ride again.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 02/10/08 at 10:10:07

ha, darn, I should send the charger back!

I used to start my bike about twice a week and go for a ride of about 10 minutes (at least).  I went on a 4 hour ride with 2 stops one time and went on a few 30+ minute rides about every two weeks.  in 3 months my battery was toast!  

do they come charged?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 02/10/08 at 12:53:17

Bobbert wrote on 02/10/08 at 10:10:07:
ha, darn, I should send the charger back!

I used to start my bike about twice a week and go for a ride of about 10 minutes (at least).  I went on a 4 hour ride with 2 stops one time and went on a few 30+ minute rides about every two weeks.  in 3 months my battery was toast!  

do they come charged?

mine have - 80-90% based on the voltage - the '02 savage only gets a turn on the road every couple months - fires right up

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 09:34:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › caring for my new big cranky

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.