Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Drop it Like It's Hot
Reply #46 - 02/08/07 at 08:51:01

I recommend that all Newbies take an MSF course (called Team Oregon in this state).  

I took it with my spouse after I'd been riding 37 years.  Had a lot of fun and it was a learning thing too.

In some cases, they explained things that I knew but didn't realize, and in some cases they taught me things that I didn't know at all.

Spent the better part of 2 days riding a different bike.  I had a ball on a 200 Yamaha

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 02/08/07 at 12:58:50

Greg, how about a bit more detail on that bike you used in the course? My wife is considering a dual purpose ride. I was thinkin how cool would it be for the wife to have a dual purpose, the daughter to get a Ninja 250 & then with the Zuki in the garage, if I wanted to ride out in back O the house or go play Ricky road racer I would have bikes that would do it. & When we wanted to ride together, well,, there's 3 bikes. I wonder about the little 200, tho. How big a dude are ya Greg? My wife's 5'8 & about 160 ish. The bike pretty peppy? Seem like maintenance would be easy enough? Anything about it put you off? Qualities? Talk to me , man,,  Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #48 - 02/08/07 at 15:50:49

I was about 190 then.  Pretty good little bike.  Started easy.  Nice and nimble, but they didn't let us REALLY try them out.  If ya know what I mean.

Heck, I lost 2 points in the final test for going TOO fast 8)

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #49 - 02/08/07 at 19:20:01

phasender wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
So, as I wait for my parts to arrive, I wonder... am I just THAT bad of a rider, or have I just been slowly learning one painful lesson at a time? How do you guys feel about riding when the roads are wet? Should I just never ever ride when it's wet? Get a better helmet for improved visibility?  I took a free MSF course before I got my first bike. Think I ought to go back for more advanced training?

Advanced Training?!! Go back and take the beginners course and pay attention. Ask questions. This may sound condescending but you have repeatedly "Bitten off more than you can chew". Riding in the rain and cold is not for someone with six months of experience on two different bikes. Learn your bike, how it rides and brakes.
For what it's worth... I dropped (any definition) my bike alot in the beginning. Even broke off the turn signals a few times. But I learned from my mistakes. Please take your time and pace yourself. You will get better the more you ride. Good Luck

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #50 - 02/08/07 at 20:47:45

Ah...to add...

If you consider any experience or collective wisdom from this group to be valuable, then think about learning your bike, and taking a real course.

I've ridden 40 years and fallen a lot in the past.  Never been someone else's fault.  Always mine.  Something stupid or something ignorant, but mostly just being over confident and feeling "invincible".  Not paying attention or making bad assumptions can kill you.

The world is even more difficult to navigate now than when I was learning.  So many more drivers and people speeding or talking on a stupid phone these days.

Next time you have $150 for bike gear, enroll in a training course.  Best bike stuff you can get.

Go here so you can get the same patches that we have on our leathers...

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 02/08/07 at 21:35:36

Thanks for the advice all. It looks like consensus is: I'm not the worst rider in the world and all these accidents happened because of bad riding conditions, BUT, given my skill level, I should avoid bad conditions, AND, if I don't learn from my mistakes, I'll end up dead.

I definitely think I've learned from my mistakes and internalized lessons like:

1. don't over squeeze the front brake, especially when it's wet
2. be really gentle on the turns when it's wet
3. stay away from railroad tracks, or at least hit them head on.
4. Even small cracks/potholes can be deadly when it's wet or icy.
5. Don't get distracted by pretty girls walking by.

No one offers lessons in Chicago in the winter time, but I'm going to sign up for an MSF course when it opens up. As for why I want to take the advanced instead of the basic, the beginner class I went to was pretty much a "this is a motorcycle" class. Even though I'd never ridden before, by the end of it, only one guy in the class could handle the bikes better than me. I don't mean that I think I'm good, just that this class was focused more on which hand is the clutch, how to shift gears and pressing to turn than on handling a bike in road conditions.

I thought it was an invaluable learning experience,  but the class didn't really address any of the situations I encountered. Well, except the railroad track thing. That was just stupid. I'm hoping the advanced course teaches more about riding in difficult situations.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #52 - 02/09/07 at 04:24:49

I'd like to take the advanced class sometime myself.  I believe students use their own bikes for that class.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #53 - 02/09/07 at 04:52:24

phasender wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Thanks for the advice all. It looks like consensus is: I'm not the worst rider in the world and all these accidents happened because of bad riding conditions, BUT, given my skill level, I should avoid bad conditions, AND, if I don't learn from my mistakes, I'll end up dead.

I definitely think I've learned from my mistakes and internalized lessons like:

1. don't over squeeze the front brake, especially when it's wet
2. be really gentle on the turns when it's wet
3. stay away from railroad tracks, or at least hit them head on.
4. Even small cracks/potholes can be deadly when it's wet or icy.
5. Don't get distracted by pretty girls walking by.

No one offers lessons in Chicago in the winter time, but I'm going to sign up for an MSF course when it opens up. As for why I want to take the advanced instead of the basic, the beginner class I went to was pretty much a "this is a motorcycle" class. Even though I'd never ridden before, by the end of it, only one guy in the class could handle the bikes better than me. I don't mean that I think I'm good, just that this class was focused more on which hand is the clutch, how to shift gears and pressing to turn than on handling a bike in road conditions.

I thought it was an invaluable learning experience,  but the class didn't really address any of the situations I encountered. Well, except the railroad track thing. That was just stupid. I'm hoping the advanced course teaches more about riding in difficult situations.

Honestly, I just don't think that you get it.

If you are content to be "not the worst", then you'll still drop it like it's hot.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #54 - 02/09/07 at 04:54:23

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I'd like to take the advanced class sometime myself.  I believe students use their own bikes for that class.

Yes, they do and it's on the open road.

IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #55 - 02/09/07 at 05:01:40

Brown, you spelled it wrong!
     [color=Red][/color]INVISIBLE

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #56 - 02/09/07 at 05:11:51

sparkett wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Brown, you spelled it wrong!
     [color=Red][/color]INVISIBLE

You wrote it wrong Tongue

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 02/09/07 at 08:57:10

Honestly, I don't think I said I was content with my skill level. If I was, I wouldn't have posted here like I did. All that I meant by saying "I'm not the worst" rider is that after 4 months of daily commuting on my bike, I'm not so horrible that I should quit riding completely and never touch my bike again. But, that I should avoid riding in adverse conditions.  Also, given my skill level, when I take a class this spring, I think I'll get a lot more out of it on the open road.

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Honestly, I just don't think that you get it.

If you are content to be "not the worst", then you'll still drop it like it's hot.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 02/09/07 at 09:55:09

Yes, but you are assuming that you know what the MSF course is about.  Sorry, but you don't.

Of course it starts out with the controls and some drill.  That's because of newbies like you.  Some people take the course BEFORE they get a bike.  Your 4 months of experimenting doesn't even begin to cover the knowledge they will give you in 2 days.

There were actually people that failed the Basic course on the first day.  Too darned scared.  And then there were 2 that failed the final test....are you afraid of that challenge?

You should take the basic course.  I don't even know if the MSF allows you to take the skilled course without it.

I'm done.  Keep the rubber side down.

IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 02/09/07 at 10:18:58

My bad, I think I didn't make myself clear. I DID take an MSF basic course. I don't know if it was the "basic" course that you're talking about, but it was a 4 day course, 4-6 hours a day, and at the end of it, I got a card with with an upside down triangle, "MSF" and my name printed on it. I think we're talking about the same thing here. I definitely learned a lot, it WAS a challenge, and I passed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 06:43:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drop it Like It's Hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.