Hahaha, good commercial

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Re: Drop it Like It's Hot
Reply #38 - 02/07/07 at 12:34:06

stinger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
my uncle picked his husquavara up at the dealers after some repair. he decided after warming it up to ride it up this plank into the back of his full sized pickup. halfway up, it died. him and the bike fell to the pavement with the hot exhaust on his leg. he was unconcious.and he had some very severe burns that took a long time to heal. he never rode again.
does he still have the husky??????

IP Logged
john1652
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 02/07/07 at 12:36:07

mavrik wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Hey Savages: Since the guy at the stealership told me "It's not if you go down, it's when you go down"
are you talking about what I think you're talking about???????   although i didn't see the word taint mentioned again....... john

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #40 - 02/07/07 at 12:37:05

i prefer the "batwing" or "freespace"

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #41 - 02/07/07 at 14:59:42

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Never crashed...Never will.   Grin

Im 25, I've had my bike for one season.  I am invincible!

Sounds like Hashbrown's gonna be picking hASHPHALT from a blunt FORCE trauma. Embarrassed

Overconfidence can kill you as much as underconfidence

Balance is the key....Rubber side down Kiss

Cheers

WWW   IP Logged
phasender
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 02/07/07 at 22:27:31

Reading these posts, it sounds like there ARE two kind of riders in the world, those who almost never drop a bike, and those that... are not so blessed. I'm one of the latter.

I'm a noob, only been riding about 6 months, commuting to school (I'm 28), first on a CM400T that died, then, starting 4 months ago, on my '97 LS650. In the past 4 months, I've dropped the thing 5 times.

First time was 3 days into owning it. Turned out the gear shift rod was being held together by duct tape, which came loose on my way to work. After walking it for three blocks, I stopped for a break, saw a pretty girl walk past, forgot I didn't set the kickstand, and just let it fall. No, I didn't get her number.

Number 2 was the second time I'd ridden in the rain. Accelerate from a stop, car in front braked, squeezed the front brake without the rear, ouch. Learned that lesson.

Number 3 it was wet, and I learned the lesson about not accelerating through a turn on a wet road. Actually managed to keep it upright, but I ended up on a mulch covered median.

Number 4 I was riding at night over some old railroad tracks embedded in the asphalt with few streetlights. Didn't see the crack in the asphalt until it had already grabbed my front tire and spilled me on the ground.

Number 5 It was about 10 degrees out, the roads were damp, but not wet, clear visibility. Was going maybe 15mph as I was slowing down for the stop sign, and then I was down. As near as I can tell, I hit another crack in the asphalt, but it wasn't big enough to actually catch my tire like in Number 4. I'm guessing the water/ice that was in the crack might have jerked my front tire a bit or something. Laid it down hard on its side, bent the peg, broke the clutch lever.

So, as I wait for my parts to arrive, I wonder... am I just THAT bad of a rider, or have I just been slowly learning one painful lesson at a time? How do you guys feel about riding when the roads are wet? Should I just never ever ride when it's wet? Get a better helmet for improved visibility?  I took a free MSF course before I got my first bike. Think I ought to go back for more advanced training? Or maybe I should just scrap my thumper and buy a Segway...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 02/08/07 at 01:13:22

Well, the first one doesn't even count IMO, You dropped the thing, you didnt fall off. Totally different situation, besides, you were starstruck. Boy, I bet that was embarassing..  Wink

Now, seems you are brave in the crappy weather. On unfamiliar streets, make sure you don't overdrive the lights & conditions. If the lights reveal a problem fifty feet out but conditions are so bad you need 70 feet to stop or turn due to conditions, you are going too fast. Riding at anything freezing or below with any moisture on the ground is asking for it IMO, I don't like wet & cold conditions because (Now, this is just ME, I have no idea if this is valid or not) wet makes me nervous about slipping down, & cold doean't make me happy because I figure a cold tire is a harder tire & not as grippy. Add wet & I am riding like I am on greasy snot, slow & careful. RR tracks cause me to take a whole different tack, I make sure I hit them square. Ther are some in town that cross the road in a turn. I work that turn so I stand it up at the tracks , then lean it over & finish the turn. Steel just doesn't have the traction of asphalt & there are steel " skirts" laid along the track to make the road all nice & level. Cool, but it's still slick looking. Just rethink your aproach. Consider what you've done & learned. IF you haven;t learned anything, then maybe ditchin bikes is a good idea. I don't want to tell you it will all be fine & then you go get hurt. Be careful, Okay?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #44 - 02/08/07 at 05:26:09

Well, I have not yet "dropped" a bike but I have laid them down a couple of times.  I'm not sure if anyone is distinguishing between the two but that's me so far.  I do my best to minimize it but I also try not to say "never".

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 23:18:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drop it Like It's Hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.