Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Drop it Like It's Hot
Reply #15 - 01/30/07 at 19:36:33

Hey, Fido,
I hope my play isn't done yet, either.
Anyway, had a lotta close calls, but never been seriously down.  

Went down goin' around a turn & hit gravel w/my 1st bike back in the early 60's.  No injuries, except for some gravel in me hand.

1 summer, I lived on a mountain in the redwoods (CA central coast).  Had a vertical road (very steep) that made a sharp right turn into my short gravel driveway.  Dropped my heavy Guzzi ('73 El Dorado) a couple times (slid part way down the hill) 'til I got the hang of just how much gas I needed to make the turn without falling down or skidding into my front porch.  Strained my back picking that darn thing up, too, 'cause of the angle.  Those were the days!  But, never been down in a bad way.      

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 01/31/07 at 05:22:11

I never dropped my Savage (too light, I could lean it all the way over and pick it up with one leg/arm). However, I do belong to Connie Droppers Anonymous  Wink. The Concours is a somewhat Shocked top heavy beast. I backed out onto my driveway, executing a Y turn to get headed out into the street as I do every morning, remembered something I wanted from the house, and either didn't remember to put down the sidestand or didn't get it all the way down. Anyway to make a long story longer, I started leaning the MC onto the stand that wasn't there, and by the time I realized what was happening, I couldn't hold her up and just tried to set her down as gently as possible. No damage, but I did learn an important lesson, be sure and deliberate when moving something that heavy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 01/31/07 at 23:50:02

We need a new smiley _.Q._ or -q-

Dropped mine 2 weeks into commuting part time. :'(

It was a Friday, after dark, following at a safe distance on a 2 lane arterial road.  Cage in front pulls into left turn lane, I move to the right in case and begin to pass on the right, fool decides he doesn't want to make a left and pulls out.  I'm doing good, pull over more as he's beside me, slowing fast as I can to get behind him.  Now I can see it's a cage full of monkeys without a care in the world.  And guess what?  They want to make a right!!!  Shocked And my front wheel is even with their rear!  A little more experience and I may have been able to handle it but at least it was solo and slow.  So no major damage to the bike or myself.  And those f#%king idiots never looked back.

WWW   IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 02/02/07 at 02:27:37

my uncle picked his husquavara up at the dealers after some repair. he decided after warming it up to ride it up this plank into the back of his full sized pickup. halfway up, it died. him and the bike fell to the pavement with the hot exhaust on his leg. he was unconcious.and he had some very severe burns that took a long time to heal. he never rode again.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 02/02/07 at 15:27:23

that sucks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 02/02/07 at 15:46:17

I've thought about riding a bike up a plank into the bed of a pickup. I never thought of doing it without folks there to help. I also never dreamed of it shutting off.I did manage to foresee other disastrous ends to that idea, so I never would do it. I am sorry for him. What a crappy way to get hurt.

IP Logged
aussie_biker
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 02/04/07 at 12:26:31

In the Australian Outback we have trucks called Road Trains.Basically a semi-trailer with 3 trailers measuring 50 meters/150 feet long.The roads are usually pretty straight & you can see to the horizon.When you see one coming you usually pull over if the road is narrow because they push a lot of air & the rear trailer can swing out 6 feet or more.However this time I was cruising about 75/80 mph & came up over a rise to look straight into the eyes of the driver of one of these behemoths.He started to swerve away which made me scared for my lady riding  behind me knowing how far the rear trailer would fishtail out.I think I shook my head & mouthed "NO" at him & bailed out into the soft red dirt on the side of the highway doing a Jay Springsteen (Harley flat track racer) impersonation.I was on my wide-glide fully loaded with gear having spent a month on the road.Somehow I kept it under control until I had nearly stopped.Then when I thought I was travelling slow enough I turned the bars to head back toward the road & down she went with me standing over top of her.Only damage was a heat shield on the front exhaust & scrapes under the rear exhaust that are still coloured with red dust to this day.Can't get the red out of the scrapes. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 02/06/07 at 09:23:35

In my dirt bike days, we'd ride enduro on a course that wound through about 15 miles of really fun woods.  It would take a few hours depending on how many got stuck or crashed along the way.

Part of our little game was to see who could get back first and have their bike strapped on the trailer and a cold beer in hand....(you know, "what took ya so long?")

My personal favorite was returning first one time (and those other guys were good, too) and as I approached I saw the trailer ramp was still down and waiting.  To which I continued forward with the plan of driving right up to park.   (You have to understand the adrenaline rush).

When the others returned, I coolly stood there with beer in hand and my Yamaha parked over the front of the trailer with front tire firmly placed on the bumper of the attached truck Tongue

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #23 - 02/06/07 at 10:25:29

Never crashed...Never will.   Grin

Im 25, I've had my bike for one season.  I am invincible!

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 02/06/07 at 11:29:56

Hashbrown wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Never crashed...Never will.   Grin

Im 25, I've had my bike for one season.  I am invincible!

My first crash was at 25.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #25 - 02/06/07 at 11:34:14

You apparently were not invincible.

I benda da time and space  (Hiro Nakamura)

aatif96   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 02/06/07 at 11:42:01

You apparently were not invincible.

I benda da time and space  (Hiro Nakamura)

Good point.

Hey Rob!  Can you bump this guy up to God status?

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #27 - 02/06/07 at 11:48:04

Its ok...I'll settle for demi-god status.  I dont have the devine powers of such Titans as Lancer and Rob.

aatif96   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 02/06/07 at 11:52:42

Its ok...I'll settle for demi-god status.  I dont have the devine powers of such Titans as Lancer and Rob.

In you the Force is strong.

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #29 - 02/06/07 at 11:55:14

Your overconfidence will be your undoing...

Your faith in your friends is yours

aatif96   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 21:51:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drop it Like It's Hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.