Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Long distance on the Savage? (Read 89 times)
Patty
Ex Member

Long distance on the Savage?
11/24/05 at 05:16:07

Hubby is talking about a long distance ride next summer. He has a Volusia with windshield, bags, etc. My LS has a windshield and bags. Anybody ever ridden a REALLY long tour on one? I don't need advice on stuff to pack or how to go about preparing cause hubby does all that. I just want to know if the bike will handle the long haul and if the vibtration in the bike I feel at 70MPH becomes too big of a problem after 4-5 hours? Keep in mind that to my hubby 500 miles in one day is a warm-up for the next days thrash!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Long distance on the Savage?
Reply #1 - 11/24/05 at 06:22:54

The Savage will handle it...your primary issue will be the seat, if it is still stock.  You would be wise to get some gel to sit on, either an add on pad or built in seat.

IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/24/05 at 06:29:07

Patty:  I just took my savage out to British Columbia from London, Ontario this past summer.  My brother lives in Colorado Springs so I went down there and then headed back home.  The suzi was great the whole trip and I really have to ponder to come up with any negatives.  

Worst thing was driving into a strong wind all the time (I refuse to put a windshield on and destroy the 'look' but I sure wish I had one on the trip) and after an hour I could just feel my arms tiring out from simply trying to hang on.  Then coming back the wind was at my back all the time so that was cool.

Small gas tank makes for 2 hr. shifts and that's it but then you need a break and maybe a smoke after 2 hours, anyway, so that was no big deal.

Vibration never seemed to bother me too much - probably helped to take all those breaks.  Suzi cruised at 120 km/hr. all day long with never a complaint, although I was down a litre of oil at the end of the trip.

For some reason, my backside was okay too but can't figure out why as sometimes even on 45 minute rides i'm sore!

That's about it - I'm getting a fairing (not a windshield!) so I think I'll head out to colorado springs this summer!  Maybe see ya on the road??

Have a good trip!

Singed - Itchy Feet in Icy Canada

IP Logged
red2k1
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/24/05 at 07:03:14

Patty,

I will share with you my most recent experience for what it is worth.  Within the last six months I have ridden the Savage from New Orleans to Montana and back.  However, I did not use interstates, or as little as possible. The reason for that is simple; I find them boring. The reason I mention this is because you mentioned 70mph and to me that translates to interstate.  I really do not find the Savage an enjoyable interstate cruiser day after day.

My trip was a tour and by that I mean that I chose to ride between 300 and 400 miles a day with a lot of sightseeing. I was not trying to get from A to B within a certain amount of time.  The Savage was more than capable and reasonably comfortable.  My bike is not stock and I won’t bore you with all the changes, but I will make one strong recommendation and that is change out the stock rear shocks to Progressive shocks (12.5 inch) and raise the front of the seat to your taste.  Without a rear shock change I would not take the Savage on a long road trip.

Part of this too is how much punishment (translates to fun to a pure motorcyclist) one is willing to accept.  What I am getting to here is the physical condition and experience of the rider.  Simply as a point of reference what I do to try to stay in somewhat reasonable physical shape is to ride both mountain bikes (off road) and a cross bike on road. My weekly miles on these bikes approaches 150, not much and would like it to be more but work gets in the way.  If you have every ridden a hard tail mountain bike off road then, in comparison, you would appreciate the Savage as luxurious even without the rear shock change.

I am now planning a Route 66 ride on the Savage.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 11/24/05 at 07:16:36

I think a lot depends on how the Savage fits you. I've done a few 400 mile days in a row on the Savage, and have come to the conclusion that at least for me the Savage is not a long distance interstate tourer. As I've said before the good news is the gas tank is small enough that you will be making stops at least every 100 miles, the bad news is that most people would not be comfortable on this MC for more than 100 miles straight. Without significant modifications I don't think it can be made to be a touring bike. It does fine for short trips and commutes to work, but for long distance, the MC's that are made for this work really shine. I'm in the process of getting a sport tourer for me to take on longer trips. More room, more comfort, more fuel capacity, more HP, more everything. I'm keeping my Savage for shorter trips, and for my son(s) to ride when they turn 16 (legal age for MC's on the street in my state).

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 11/24/05 at 08:43:50

Patty wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
... Anybody ever ridden a REALLY long tour on one? .... I just want to know if the bike will handle the long haul and if the vibtration in the bike I feel at 70MPH becomes too big of a problem after 4-5 hours?....

If Cindik doesn't chime in you might want to hunt her down at her website.  She's was certified crazy in 1997 when she rode her Savage 1020 miles in a 24 hour period.

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 11/24/05 at 10:00:00

Don't worry at all. My Wife finished the MSF riding school and got her license. She is pretty short, so we decided to get her a Savage.I have a beat up'01 LS650 and My wife has '00 in a very good condition and no suspension mods. Her first ride was from Phx, Az to Zion National park in Utah -840 mi. in 2 days ride. One weekend after that we put 830 miles in 2 days /530 of them in 1 day/. She is still alive, but ran out of vacation days, so we haven't been in a long rides since.
You will do just fine.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 11/24/05 at 19:58:47

Personally, the three things that have contributed the most to an improved riding experience have been the fork brace, gel seat and Progressive shocks.  I firmly believe the Savage/S40 is durable/dependable enough for long rides; it was just a question of comfort.  With those three things, I wouldn't hesitate - though I only ever seem to find the time for a few hundred miles at a time at best these days.  I should also mention the addition of Kuryakyn grips.  They definitely add to riding comfort as well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 11/25/05 at 15:02:51

Okay, I did Denver, CO to Seattle, WA, to Boston, MA (and back after I broke the darn thing in Ohio and got it reparied in MA [didn't know anything about wrenchin' then]).  

At certain speeds, it of course vibrated like Hell.  That will hurt your hands AND feet after about 1000 miles (in a day... yes, I did that too;  Denver (actually FT. Collins, an hour north of Denver) to Mt Rushmore & back in 22 hours).  When you're riding on the freeway, and you really feel the vibrations, change your speed just a little and it will help a lot... a real lot.

The bikw can handle it... I punished, punished, punished my savage on that long trip.  It was about 5000 miles in about 5 days of riding time.  It "broke down" with about 800 miles to go.  However, it kept going!   Grin  It jsut wouldn't go over 65 mph, even down hill...  The cam chain tensioner broke, but it wouldn't die.  Additionally, keep an eye on your oil (of course!).

Seat:  bleh!  I had highway bars on it, which really helped as I could move around on it quite a bit.  If you put the pass. foot pegs down, you can safely put your feet on there and ride it like a sport bike.  You can also sit on the "hump,"  where the driver and pass seat meet, which is surprisngly comfortable.  Also, with the pass. pegs down, you can sit on the pass. seat and put your feet on the pass pegs... not recomended for turns...  or without a sissy bar.

Good luck!   Cheesy

IP Logged
chriss

Reply #9 - 11/26/05 at 04:42:06

Ive put as many as 500 miles a day on my 02 at speeds averaging 60 to 65 mph, and I find that is more than enough for me. The bike will handle it just great but your hands will go numb and will so your feet. Best advice for long trips is to wear a good pair of gloves and motorcycle boots to absorb the vibration. The vibration will wear you out  Besides, and I think most in here will agree, that when you become fatigued on a motorcvcle its very dangerous.  Give the bike and yourself a good rest . Camp out, rent a motel with a pool and find  good mom and pops  resteraunt and just enjoy what motorcyle touring is really about

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 11/26/05 at 07:24:09

I have to agree with Savage-Rob, if the trip involves a lot of highway riding then get a Superbrace for the bike, it really improves the ride. A windshield or bug screen reduces the wind on your body and can help prevent you from getting tired arms. And of course ride as much as you can before the trip so you are use to hours inthe saddle.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/26/05 at 18:56:21

What does the Superbrace add? I think I'm already sold but still want to hear the details.

This thread about long distancing touring is great! I'm planning/hoping to do some shorter distance touring next summer and I was planning on doing it with my Savage. It's good to hear from some who have done it that it's up to the challenge....

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 11/26/05 at 21:52:11

The fork brace stabilizes the forks and greatly reduces excess flex and wobble.  Check out http://www.superbrace.com/.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
XxQualitySealxX
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/05 at 11:40:12

When talking about the ForkBrace and wobbles. When at a high rate of speed (usually 60 and above) and I am in a lean I get the wobbles pretty bad. Am I just hitting the cornering limitations of the bike or is that something that the ForkBrace and progressive shocks would help?

IP Logged
Patty
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/29/05 at 19:59:44

Thanks to all that responded. Now I have an idea what to expect. At least it sounds like the Savage will take the punishment...not so sure about the rider...*weak laugh*

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:33:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Long distance on the Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.