Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Savage's biggest enemy? (Read 24 times)
savage777
Ex Member

Re: Savage's biggest enemy?
Reply #30 - 11/12/05 at 13:00:31

Savage's biggest enemy--- Lack of backing by Suzuki and the Dealers. Lack of Suzuki and aftermarket accessories. But that does mean that we do ride something that a lot of other people don't have so that is kinda cool. It just sucks that the few things that are available for the Savage as far as bolt on accessories are so dang expensive because they aren't very common and compared to the same part for another bike will be half as much, such as highway bars, forward controls etc.

IP Logged
Conway
2005 No Login

Reply #31 - 11/12/05 at 17:53:56

Quote:
Cages who think I'm supposed to look like a hood ornament.
I don't want to see what color their eyes are in my mirrors.

That's the reason you keep a couple of old spark plugs in your jacket pocket... No court in the land could prove you lobbed them through a windshield...

It was simply "road debris"...  Grin

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #32 - 11/12/05 at 22:59:31

I don't know about you, but I'd be pretty concerned if my vehicle started dropping spark plugs on the highway.

Besides, if you're both travelling at the same speed, just letting go of the spark plug would cause it to have an initial velocity of zero with regards to your frame of reference.  You'd actually have to *throw* it, I imagine, and I can't fathom that being easy to do while still riding.

Correct me if I'm wrong though  Grin

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/13/05 at 03:58:37

Hah, that reminds me of when I was a kid.  Me and I few of my friend would ride our bicycles around arm with bolt bombs.  Two bolt and and a nut with gunpower compressed between.  We never actually got to use them to "defend" ourselfs, but they we a blast to set off.  As loud or louder than a cherry bomb if you used a big enough bolt.  Thing was those big ones were darned expensive.  

Oh and to me the Savage's biggest enemy is the wobble you get though highspeed corners.  I need a superbrace but their to darned expensive too.  That and mine uses oil quicker than I am used to having to check for so I'm afraid I may forget to check it sometime and run it while it's low.  Another thing that could be an issue in a poorly maintained bike could be the rear drum brake since they never have quite the feel of a disk, and drums have a tendency to lock up sometimes unexpectedly if they arent adjusted quite right.  One more, rush hour traffic and you run out of fuel(main supply)  Only made that mistake once, and I can switch to researve in about a half second now in case I do it again.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #34 - 11/13/05 at 06:38:36

Hammy211 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
... One more, rush hour traffic and you run out of fuel(main supply)  Only made that mistake once, and I can switch to researve in about a half second now in case I do it again.
The Savage is perfectly capable of pulling from a stop off a sidesteet into a five-car gap in 35 mph mainstreet traffic.  I don't (normally - there's always exceptions).  I prefer a larger gap so that IF somehing happens the cagers have an opportunity of waking from their daydreaming and noticing me and avoiding running me over.

A few days ago Thumper coughed and sputtered in the middle of my acceleration thru the turn into mainstreet traffic.  Straighten up, switch to reserve, accelerate to speed without needing any cager to have seen me.   'Tis a good thing I aim for a slightly larger than necessary gap.

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #35 - 11/14/05 at 06:24:23

A $200 car
$2000 wheels
No job, no insurance, no high school diploma
New cell phone

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #36 - 11/14/05 at 15:55:34

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
$2000 wheels

whats wrong with custom wheels ???  

???                                   ???                   ???

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #37 - 11/14/05 at 17:45:05

In a nut shell, it raises the CG while effectively reducing the braking. What bigger brakes provide, larger diameter wheels take away, while reducing turning circle.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #38 - 11/15/05 at 06:14:47

In a nut shell, it raises the CG while effectively reducing the braking. What bigger brakes provide, larger diameter wheels take away, while reducing turning circle.

i have 20 inch by 10 inch rims on my truck,and the truck handles so much better around corners.i have stock brakes and the truck stops quicker than ever(because i have more rubber on the road than a semi Grin)

the brakes are only affectted when u have over a 22inch rim.same thing for swamper tires if u go over 38's u should get bigger brakes.

thats also why everybody puts on the 190 instead of the stock 180 on the savage .........imo 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #39 - 11/15/05 at 06:45:38

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
thats also why everybody puts on the 190 instead of the stock 180 on the savage .........imo 8)

The reason I put the 190 on instead of the 180 was because that was what was available in the tires I wanted and, oddly enough, what the Dunlop fitment guide recommended.  I really hadn't given that much thought to the need for differing brake sizes with changing wheel sizes.  However, I didn't change the wheel; just the tire.  That fact, the minor size difference and the fact that the rear brakes only constitute 30% of the stopping power lead me to believe it's not a problem.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #40 - 11/15/05 at 08:19:09

AndyC wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Teenage-20something girls in SUVs with cell phones surgically grafted to their skulls are a close second... and I encounter them quite a bit more frequently too.

Well, believe it or not, once my wife riding pillion drew my attention to a young mother [glow=red,2,300]breast feeding Shocked Shocked Shocked [/glow] while driving in the slow lane !!!

Too bad she wasn't pulled over...

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #41 - 11/15/05 at 11:15:47

What ever rationalization needed to justify drawing more attention, I don't believe a word of it.

If taller wheels/tires are swapped on, increased pedal pressure will be required to generate the same amount of braking. Tire rub and stiffer side walls will kill the ride. Turning radius will increase.

This vehicle won’t stop, or accelerate, turn or corner, or ride.
Its CG is too high making it easier to flip. You can see daylight under it. It would be OK if you need to ford a creek I suppose, but this silly junk looks like some inbred redneck’s 4WD nightmare;

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
i have 20 inch by 10 inch rims on my truck,and the truck handles so much better around corners.i have stock brakes and the truck stops quicker than ever(because i have more rubber on the road than a semi Grin)

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #42 - 11/15/05 at 14:43:48

What ever rationalization needed to justify drawing more attention, I don't believe a word of it.

If taller wheels/tires are swapped on, increased pedal pressure will be required to generate the same amount of braking. Tire rub and stiffer side walls will kill the ride. Turning radius will increase.
http://www.scottware.net/scottml2/images/car%20(23).jpg

This vehicle won’t stop, or accelerate, turn or corner, or ride.
Its GG is too high making it easier to flip. You can see daylight under it. It would be OK if you need to ford a creek I suppose, but this silly junk looks like some inbred redneck’s 4WD nightmare;

i have a 275 tire height which is a big tire,even with 20's,some people have 20's with 225's thats when u getting a really rough ride.mine is still a work truck so i pull stumps,carry our bikes,ect..... and its a very smooth ride,yes u have slow down for bumps,but curves, no.

and yeah it takes a little longer to get going ,but once u do Grin, she freekin flys.

also i get better gas mileage because,the transmision is turning less rpm's Grin

my truck

my wheels are aluminium and weigh only 7 pounds more than the stock steel.

and my wheels never lockup,they just stop,even with the stock ABS.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 11/15/05 at 19:16:10

From my understanding u will only have a rougher ride if ur tire height is less than stock, hence less rubber under the rim.

OK back to the topic

I think Savage's biggest enemy is RESPECT, from dealers and Suzuki itself.  I believe its a great bike and there should be alot more aftermarket support.  Maybe there isnt because many owners move onto more powerful bike since the Savage is so under powered.  I still like mine tho.

IP Logged
FlyingJLady
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 11/17/05 at 12:10:21

While driving down the road I seen a truck driver reading his paperback book on the freeway! ShockedRadarORiley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I see females putting on makeup all the time, men shaving, but the one that really chaps me is people reading a newspaper or book/map while driving. I've seen this a lot where they actually spread it over the steering wheel while they are driving the Interstate. I love to read, but that's taking it too far.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 06:20:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage's biggest enemy?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.