Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
engine chirp (Read 10 times)
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: engine chirp
Reply #15 - 09/28/05 at 05:45:12

Glad you found it!! I'm a decent trouble-shooter, but it is frustrating to find something that only happens when you are moving! I did medical imaging repair for years, but that stuff stayed put. Now I sit on my *ss and do tech support.

have fun

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 09/28/05 at 06:16:47

Okay, this is slightly tangential to this thread but I'll ask anyway.  What are the possible the downsides to removing the belt guard?  Passengers getting pant cuffs caught and being dragged into the sprocket?  Water and crud getting slung at the rider?  These are just guesses as to why the bike has the guard in the first place.  I ask because I don't really like the look of the guard at its present angle after I put on my new Progressive shocks and am considering simply removing it.  I know a number of folks have removed theirs.  Have any of you noticed any downsides or potential problems?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #17 - 09/28/05 at 07:01:08

no downsides at all,unless u wear a kilt or dress  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #18 - 09/28/05 at 07:06:36

Just something that gets in my way when working on it. Similar to the chrome engine covers. Gone. I like the look better with the belt guard gone, noticed no downside....yet  Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 09/28/05 at 12:33:25

I park mine in the back yard and I have to pull weeds out of the belt now and again... could always get a rock in there...  you expose these two little tabs that the belt guard was attached to...  must shim the lower left shock linkage

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 10/02/05 at 08:17:03

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Okay, this is slightly tangential to this thread but I'll ask anyway.  What are the possible the downsides to removing the belt guard?  Passengers getting pant cuffs caught and being dragged into the sprocket?  Water and crud getting slung at the rider?  These are just guesses as to why the bike has the guard in the first place.  I ask because I don't really like the look of the guard at its present angle after I put on my new Progressive shocks and am considering simply removing it.  I know a number of folks have removed theirs.  Have any of you noticed any downsides or potential problems?

Okay....first off, as a genuine mechanical technician, I dislike the idea of removing something to get rid of a noise....to me that's like removing the engine to get rid of the backfire.  AND in this case, if removing the belt guard eliminated the chirp, then the problem was either in the mounting of the guard or the front pulley cover.  Either one shouldn't "chirp" if correctly installed.

As for the possible issues relating to an exposed belt that travels on open spinning pulleys....I don't see a problem as long as the rider keeps his feet on the pegs.  I still have the front pulley cover installed and I threw away my "elephant" bell bottoms a few decades ago.  Not a problem, Rob  8)

Oh yeah, don't forget that I fashioned a rear fender mud flap (barely visible) that keeps dirt from bouncing off the swingarm and getting into the belt.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 10/02/05 at 14:33:36

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Okay....first off, as a genuine mechanical technician, I dislike the idea of removing something to get rid of a noise....to me that's like removing the engine to get rid of the backfire.  AND in this case, if removing the belt guard eliminated the chirp, then the problem was either in the mounting of the guard or the front pulley cover.  Either one shouldn't "chirp" if correctly installed.

As for the possible issues relating to an exposed belt that travels on open spinning pulleys....I don't see a problem as long as the rider keeps his feet on the pegs.  I still have the front pulley cover installed and I threw away my "elephant" bell bottoms a few decades ago.  Not a problem, Rob  8)

Oh yeah, don't forget that I fashioned a rear fender mud flap (barely visible) that keeps dirt from bouncing off the swingarm and getting into the belt.

Okay, I'm good with that.  No noise with mine either; I just don't like the lines formed by the front pulley cover and upper belt guard now that I have higher shocks installed.  They form an angle instead of a straighter/cleaner line.  I also still have the other mud flap from the pair I got at JCW that you'd pointed me toward last year,  I'd bet it'll work well modified slightly and attached to the front of the rear fender.  I was considering that today as I put my saddlebag supports back on.  Thanks Greg.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #22 - 10/02/05 at 17:42:37

Just a note. I did not remove the belt guard as a troubleshooting attempt. I just like the look better with it gone. Took me awhile to realize the chirp was gone and put 2 and 2 together. The chirp never really alarmed me. Was always there, but I bought the bike used. You never know what the previous owner did, correctly or incorrectly. I bought the Savage so I could do what I felt like without serious depreciation.  Grin

Jim

one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 10/09/05 at 08:15:14

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Just a note. I did not remove the belt guard as a troubleshooting attempt. I just like the look better with it gone. Took me awhile to realize the chirp was gone and put 2 and 2 together. The chirp never really alarmed me. Was always there, but I bought the bike used. You never know what the previous owner did, correctly or incorrectly. I bought the Savage so I could do what I felt like without serious depreciation.  Grin

Jim

That's all very true, and it is your bike to change as you wish.  It's what we do after all Smiley

I was just thinking of it as an educational thing....someday this question will be posted on this forum again.  Guarrrranteeeed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 15:18:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine chirp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.