Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
engine chirp (Read 10 times)
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
engine chirp
09/18/05 at 21:44:25

i have a question for the group. this chirp is audable ONLY on decel with closed throttle. comes from right of engine.crack throttle open VERY slightly,chirp stops,from there to wot, no chirp.apperently i have this chirp at only max. vacumn. if we have any old truck drivers here,the chirp follows EXACTLY the sound pattern of a jake brake. as you can see by my user name, i am quite familer with "jakes",use to teach 'em in my engine classes. does anyone else have this decel chirp? i have tightened carb to head clamps.(not loose at all) has any of you solved this chirp and if so, HOW?bill aka diesel. '03 ls 650 with 3k on it.

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Re: engine chirp
Reply #1 - 09/19/05 at 22:29:30

can't anybody even come with an educated guess? diesel.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 09/23/05 at 15:47:46

This is probably uneducated....

Is your crankcase breather hose connected?

Do you have a stock airbox?

Tongue

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #3 - 09/23/05 at 21:04:07

yes and yes,darn good questions, though.'cause only audible when throttle is completly closed. bought '03 used, mixture screw out 2 1/4 turns. never had slide out yet to check white spacer or bowl off to check jetting. exhaust stock, but header pipe is a VERY light gold after 3300mi. no blue no place.runs real good to 80 mph with throttle left for more, that suites me all to he!!, back fires are very few and far between and when it does backfire,it's very light, more like a futt than a bang and only from closed throttle from high rpm. i'm from the old school, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. all this and averages 55 to 60 mpg pushing a plexistar 2 shield. all this kinda indicates fuel raito through the rpm range is pertty darn close. if and when it starts to act up or milage drops off, i'll break 'er open and have a peek. till then, i just gonna ride 'er, let 'er chirp and be da$$ed.Bill aka diesel.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 09/24/05 at 07:46:41

The reason that I asked is that you CAN hear a "chirp" sound if the airbox is changed or you have a K&N pod filter.  The sound comes from the intake valves when you slightly OPEN the throttle (not closed).

Also, the crankcase breather makes a particular noise too if it is disconnected, and the breather is on the right side.

Does the sound follow engine rpms or road speed?

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #5 - 09/24/05 at 21:06:59

follows engine rpm, decelerating,pull clutch, chirp gone, reengage clutch,bike still pushing engine, chirp,chirp comes up with rpm. crack throttle, gone. now it ain't real loud, actually, kinda faint, but iffen you listen, you can hear it, don't think it too serious. some day when poor running indicates, i'll pull carb,in that area somewhere. mabye i just otta wear a full face helmet, i know i would never hear it then.  diesel.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 09/25/05 at 06:51:38

You aren't giving up are you?  Not a diesel mechanic...Tongue

How do you know that it's in the area of the carb?  What in the area of the carb would make a chirp?

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #7 - 09/25/05 at 21:49:35

Greg: thats just it, diesel tech NEVER has to tinker with no stinking carburetors. it's a learn as you go process for him. high pressure fuel injrction and no throttle of air, a whole different set of rules for running an engine. fuel/air ratios will run 500 to 1 or more at idle to 30 or 40 to 1 at maximum engine load. only control amount of fuel engine receives, no control of air it receives, turbochargers just blow in more air so more fuel can be injected= more torque from same displacement engine. so as long as my little beast runs as good as it does, my learning curve on thoes stinking carburetors will just have to wait a little while longer. diesel

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 09/26/05 at 06:29:37

Ah but mechanical troubleshooting is the same technique no matter what type engine.  The fuel delivery is different on a diesel, but the basic needs of an engine are the same....they all need fuel, oxygen, and ignition.  Whether the fuel is delivered under pressure or by venturi....it is the same.  Add a blower for more air, add more fuel.....

But then again, I don't know why we are talking about carbs anyway.  Why do you think the carb is chirping?

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #9 - 09/26/05 at 22:13:27

how right you are, maybe not carb, maybe something else. iffen it gets worse, I'll find it.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #10 - 09/27/05 at 04:08:08

Diesel,
I had a decel chirp for a long time. Sounded to me like it was coming from the left side. I never found out the cause, but it disappeared when I removed the belt guard! Was exactly as you describe, only on decel, disappeared with a little throttle.
Good luck,
Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 09/27/05 at 10:47:24

Diesel, I'm not a technician, but my other bike is a...
(hold on, it's coming)
1980 MGB english car, right hand drive and all that, and it chirps, rattles, sighs, moans and more! all the way from startup to shutdown.

Check and see if all the engine-frame bolts are nice and tight, it could be something is jiving because it's just a leeetle loose.
Or, see the clutch bearings, or the final drive front sprocket. You say it only happens when at high revs and closed throttle. Well, to me this spells high revs, torque applied from road to engine and not as it should be, so with force being applied the other way 'round, I wouldn't be surprised.

Let us know, it could be important

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #12 - 09/27/05 at 11:26:42

clueless and mpescatori: many thanks for pointing in another direction. I  can only hear out of my right ear, too many rifles craking and unmuffeled engines running on govenor in the years before ear protection, probably why I think I hear it from right side. clueless,thats the noise exactly, come to think of it, ths belt would change tension top and bottom on and off throttle. going out right now and ckeck that guard.diesel

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #13 - 09/27/05 at 17:18:23

Diesel,
No adjustment cured it, only removal. Kinda blew my mind, but like I said, it cured it!
I listen to my baby when she talks!!

Good Luck

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #14 - 09/27/05 at 21:08:15

clueless: thank you, thank you, thank you! removed guard, took ride, decell chirp gone.info available on this board, PRICELESS! I thank everyone for all the sugestions.diesel.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 19:04:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine chirp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.