Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!! (Read 32 times)
Still Savage
Ex Member

Re: Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply #30 - 08/21/05 at 16:36:46

Torque,

I will try it out......do you use a cloth?

Is it necessary to use a wirebrush on some spots?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #31 - 08/21/05 at 17:01:55

yes, use a cloth only. a wire bush will scatch the chrome
if there is a lot of rust try an orbital sander(orDA)just put some blue magic on the pad and watch it dissapear.
Grin

NOTEdont use a sanding attchment,they sell buffing pads for them,or go to wal-mart and pick up a car buffer
same thing

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #32 - 08/21/05 at 18:29:01

...And i was talking about BLUE MAGIC its only for chrome
BLUE JOB works great on blued pipes,ther differant products.

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 08/21/05 at 18:33:01

blue job says it will work on other metals but not recommened for aluminum. Which actually brings me to ask a question. The bottom end Covers those aluminum right? anyone know a good way to polish that aluminum. Mine looks like crap i'd really like to restore it.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #34 - 08/21/05 at 18:38:13

yeah there aluminium,mothers works great they have two kinds one for all aluminiums,and the other is for billit aluminium,they vary in price from $6to$13thereboth great try the buffer it does all the work Grin

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #35 - 08/22/05 at 05:46:42

Carb cleaner, WURTH saBesto, from my mates bike shop (chops, streetfighters, supermotos etc.)
Plug,NGK DPR8EIX-9 is what i use in my KLX, expensive but V good.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #36 - 08/22/05 at 07:11:45

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
NGK DPR8EIX-9 is what i use in my KLX, expensive but V good.

Just as an FYI, that's NGK's iridium equivalent to the stock plug.  I agree with KLX650.  It's a great plug.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 08/22/05 at 08:20:00

I bought an iridium plug but haven't put it in yet as i wanted to fine tune my new carb correctly. Is it true that the iridium plug makes the bike more rich or is it more lean?  the guy who has the tach is gonna help me adjust it, i got to fix his computer first then he is gonna hook me up but anyway he said from what i was describing blue flame and all that my bike was running rich. if the iridium makes it lean maybee that would be good  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #38 - 08/22/05 at 11:20:40

I don't know that I'd say either one was true.  For me, it's been a matter of a more reliable spark.  If you have your machine properly tuned and always have good fuel, etc. your plug shouldn't foul too quickly anyway.  But since tweaking and modifying a bike is also a hobby for some of us, optimum conditions are not always met and could require pulling and cleaning the plug.  The iridium seems less susceptible to fouling and therefore saves me from having to pull the plug and mess with it.  It more of a "set it and forget it" plug, so far as I'm concerned.  I'll probably check/change it once a year or so... maybe less, depending on how well it fares.  I put it in last November and it hasn't had a problem yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 08/22/05 at 11:30:13

Do you think i should add the plug before i have them fine tune it or should i wait. Like i said i'm having a guy help me out so i can get it right. I'd been doing it by ear and altough the bike runs awesome i can still its not right.

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 08/22/05 at 11:39:08

I second the thougths on Mother's it's great!

I have an '86 as well still, about 23,000 miles or so, as far as major tune part of that depends on the condition of the engine.  In the case of my ride I just had the entire engine rebuilt.  But that was because it was about to explode.  The previous owner had torn down the entire bike and didn't know what he was doing and most of the bolts were stripped or missing.  And I rode the darn thing most of last season like that!

Anyway, I would say change the oil, spark plug, oil filter, and have the carb jetted.

~Munson

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #41 - 08/22/05 at 11:54:46

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Do you think i should add the plug before i have them fine tune it or should i wait. Like i said i'm having a guy help me out so i can get it right. I'd been doing it by ear and altough the bike runs awesome i can still its not right.

Why not just give him the new plug with the bike?

mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 08/22/05 at 11:56:54

o aint giving him the bike. I'm going over to his shop fix his computer then gonna help him work on my bike but i dont know how much he knows about bikes its more of a tools thing like a tach plus he knows how adjust carbs wethere its a single barrel bike carb or a four barrel out a v8 350. so i'm to save us both the trouble i'm wondering if i should just throw it in there.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #43 - 08/22/05 at 12:34:01

mikedasavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
o aint giving him the bike. I'm going over to his shop fix his computer then gonna help him work on my bike but i dont know how much he knows about bikes its more of a tools thing like a tach plus he knows how adjust carbs wethere its a single barrel bike carb or a four barrel out a v8 350. so i'm to save us both the trouble i'm wondering if i should just throw it in there.

If your going to try for really fine tune on the carb some plug reading is most likely needed - you might want to pick up some of the champion ra6hc's - much larger to read - and cheap - so you could swap in a new one or two or three or four , as you work through this and pop in the fine plug when your done - is this the amal you working on?

IP Logged
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 08/22/05 at 12:55:05

Yea its the Amal. like i said the bike runs awesome but its still not right. blue flame when you shut it off some backfire etc....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 17:35:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.