Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!! (Read 32 times)
still
Ex Member

Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!
08/18/05 at 11:03:11

I have recently purchased a 1986 Savage that is completely stock! This is my first time with/on a bike! The bike has less than 3,500 miles. Purchased from a very good friend who bought it from the original owner. My friend has told me everything I know about the bike and well before I thought about buying it from him, he complained about the tremendously LOUD Shocked  backfire everytime he turned off the engine. I am not mechanically enclined at all! My friend was told from other gear heads that this is something that this single cylinder engine had a tendancy to do. Is this true? If not, what do I need to do to have it fixed and keep the neighborhood from thinking they are being bombed!!!!!!
P.S. Thanks for the great site!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply #1 - 08/18/05 at 11:13:30

Welcome to the world of Savage owners.  You have to leave beer and peanuts out for the elves to come and fix it.  If that doesn't work, try doing a search on this site and be sure to set the way-back setting to something more than the default of 7 days... try 500 and the number of hits to something higher too because this topic has been discussed a lot.  If you still have questions after reading all of this stuff, please repost.

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Richard Amirault

Reply #2 - 08/18/05 at 11:46:18

Welcome ... when I started riding my 04 I had the same problem ... but I was shutting down by hitting the "kill switch" on the right handlebar.

I stopped doing that and and now shut 'er down with the ignition switch and it hasn't done it since.  

The bike *will* backfire when you let off the throttle going down the road. It's the nature of the beast we ride.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 08/18/05 at 12:43:53

Repeat what Savage_Rob says, also you might want to read about the differences between your bike and "younger" bikes. There are some differences, and around this forum a lot of them have been pointed out.

Some suggested search topics might be settings, tuning, carb, and modifications.

This should give you more than an evenings reading. Tongue

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 08/18/05 at 13:18:35

Richard Amirault wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The bike *will* backfire when you let off the throttle going down the road. It's the nature of the beast we ride.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Richard it doesn't have to be that way.

IP Logged
DavidV
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/18/05 at 13:24:25

An afternoon's work will stop the backfiring.

IP Logged
RadarORiley
Serious Thumper

No one notices how
you ride until you
fall off.

West Of Weatherford, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/18/05 at 14:35:15

Actually, I have learned to like the backfire, keeps me company on back roads.

Radar O'Riley
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/18/05 at 17:05:49

Backfiring is ABNORMAL for an engine, and can damage it severly in some extreme cases.  An engine with a properly  tuned intake/exhaust will not backfire.
Do your homework, learn about properly setting up the intake and exhaust and tuning the carb.  The result will be a happy engine.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 08/18/05 at 17:10:43

and man do they run better

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/18/05 at 18:40:09

I haven't fine-tuned mine with the changes I've made but it doesn't backfire often... though I can usually force it to by really goosing it hard and dropping it off quickly.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
iKrayg
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/18/05 at 19:45:40

Hey,
Welcome to the club!

Just curious, if you do try to fix it and drill out your air mixture screw plug, would you please tell us how many turns out the factory had your mixture screw is set to (by counting how many turns in it takes until the needle seats)?  Also which state you live in?

Thanks,
Craig

IP Logged
still
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/18/05 at 22:57:31

First, a BIG Thank You to everyone who has posted something in regards to my question Grin ! Allow me to secondly reinstate...... I AM NOT MECHANICALLY INCLINDED WITH ANYTHING HAVING TO WITH ENGINES/MOTORS/THINGS UNDER HOODS! Basically anything much over hammering a nail....I AM CLUESS! I do know enough to pay someone who knows these things to handle it! I just would like to know some terms maybe to tell the mechanic so I don't get SCREWED or maybe my friend who I bought it from can look at this and work on it for a nominal fee! Also if it is above his head I live in Hollywood, California......if anyone knows a good shop/mechanic! Thanks Again!!!!!!

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #12 - 08/18/05 at 23:01:42

Beer & nuts for the Elves! I like that one Grin

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/19/05 at 05:13:56

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
You have to leave beer and peanuts out for the elves to come and fix it.

You know, I tried that once when I couldn't get my new turn signals to work...it didn't work...but this site helped a lot!

~Munson

IP Logged
weasle1000
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/19/05 at 20:48:14

Well I am also a new owner of a 05 s40.  I bought the bike due to the need for a more affordable way to commute to work each day.  The guys that are on this message board I think are real helpfull since I was wondering about the backfireing and how to fix it and all that information was here .  Since I am form of a mechanic I figured as long as I can find the information I could do the work.  The s40 was the perfect bike for what I was looking for I think it is a great starter bike plus it isn't hard to work on.  Thanks to everyone on this board for all the information available.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 00:34:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.