Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil change bolt location (Read 3 times)
Richard Amirault

Oil change bolt location
09/25/05 at 17:41:13

Ok, attempted my first oil change the other day .. but I should have re-read the instructions one last time.

At first I loosend and removed what I thought was the drain bolt ...  some oil came out, but not very much. I re-filled and closed everything up .. but .. I had the nagging feeling that I did something wrong.

At this point I actually did re-read the instructions and discovered that I had indeed removed the wrong bolt.

Back up on the jack, and remove the correct bolt .. *mucho* oil came out ... re-installed bolt .. re-filled with fresh oil.

My question, what was the extra drain bolt used for. Is it engine oil I let out, or something else.  The bolt in question is on the right side of the bike, under the bike, near the footpeg. It is a vertical bolt (unlike the 'sidewise' orientation of the correct bolt)

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Oil change bolt location
Reply #1 - 09/25/05 at 17:56:06

i believe it is just a drain for the oil that is in the oil filter,so it dosent come dripping out when u change the filter.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 09/25/05 at 18:10:42

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
i believe it is just a drain for the oil that is in the oil filter,so it dosent come dripping out when u change the filter.

Hmm, I need to look for that then because I always have to drain, rock the bike a few times, and let it drain some more.... then use a rag when I remove the filter.  Maybe I'm just obtuse.  I've never looked at a manual for an oil change but I should take a peek.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 09/26/05 at 05:36:18

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

That's what I figured out I think.
The engine, or at least the crancase was designed for another Suzuki: the Tempter.
The forward footrests are more backwards than on the Savage, hence you could drain the oilfilter separately.

Maybe 400cc but still I wish I had one.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 02:49:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change bolt location

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.