Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!! (Read 32 times)
methom
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Maine
Re: Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply #15 - 08/20/05 at 04:21:49

I second the suggestion of reading the older threads on the topic, but I understand you're not really into wrenching on things.  Here is a real simple thing to try.  My '00 was backfiring, too, when I shut it off...not too loud, but annoying.  This started after the dealership did a tune up, and I noticed that it seemed to be idling fast.  There is a screw (usually brass colored) on the left side of the motor that you can turn with your hand.  If your bike is idling fast, you might loosen that a turn or so to see if it slows the idle down and maybe helps with the backfiring.  If the bike stalls at idle, you've backed it off too much.  Sounds like it needs a tune up, but you could try this.

IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #16 - 08/20/05 at 06:57:56

If you don't want to work on your bike right now, try pulling the choke out a little, then shut it off, & then push the choke back in after the bike is off.  The Savage is a cool bike that anyone with a little desire, patience, and attention to detail can work on easily and get good results.

If you'll do a search for "mixture screw" or "brass plug" you'll find what you need to know about correcting the mixture, which will probably solve your problem.  It just takes a couple of minutes.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #17 - 08/20/05 at 07:30:11

adjusting the carb does NOT void the warranty, you must do this to any carburated bike ,my family has had harleys as long as i can remember they all backfire its what bikes do ,my dad was against me getting the savage but when i brought home and knocked the the baffles out my whole family was jealous that i had a great sounding bike for have the cash,true if u get a more expensive bike it wont do it as much or have more sophisticated exhaust but be ready to fork out  over $15.000 easily,hense the term u get what u pay for ,now darn ive wasted my energy again

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #18 - 08/21/05 at 05:09:46

[glow=red,2,300]WELCOME [/glow]

STILL SAVAGE..are you still with us  Smiley

My 96 is back as stock, except for white spacer mod, at the moment and it hardly ever backfires now..when it does it only a little fart anyway....

Just spend some time reading previous threads and you will realise that you don't need hardly any mech. experience to do some of the basic mods because they are explained so well...

I love this forum and the people on it ( even though most are yanks and speak a forign language LOL..or is it me the limey who speaks the forign language? )

I also need this forum because most of the dealers in "good ol' blitey" have never even seen a savage.

SO....join in,  you'll have fun, (and some heartache) learning.  Smiley

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #19 - 08/21/05 at 06:08:06

Also...if I ever get rid of my savage...I'd make out i'd still got it just to stay in this forum Smiley

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/21/05 at 10:41:36

How many people do you actually know that buys a new bike and leaves it completely stock?  I don't know anyone.  It's the nature of the beast and the hobby.

Even people that buy Harleys right off the showroom floor are bound with in the first year to make a bunch of mods.  Simple things as adding some chrome goodies to the muffler to changing the carb.  Somethings are done just for looks and others, like what the original poster was asking about, are to increase performance.

just my 2 cents

~Munson

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #21 - 08/21/05 at 10:55:34

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Lancer has a good point as usual,
Yeah, older and wiser heads and all that rot.  It's ok -- in a few more decades he'll become even older and grow crotchety.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #22 - 08/21/05 at 11:00:16

Munson_kl279 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
How many people do you actually know that buys a new bike and leaves it completely stock?  I don't know anyone.  It's the nature of the beast and the hobby....

That is actually true about most anything.  You buy a bike, change the muffler (they never sound right when you get them!) repaint, change logos, add dinglebells, decals, trolls, whatever.  You personalize it.  Same with cars.  Same with houses.  People even try customizing spouses once they obtain one.  (That usually doesn't work.)

WWW   IP Logged
Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/21/05 at 13:05:58

...I want to restate my question and add a couple more.....

All I wanted to know was how to minimize such a LOUD backfire when I turn off the engine! Backifirng during riding DOES NOT bother me.....just when shutting off the engine I don't want to cause any damage to ANYTHING!

I would also like to know what is the BEST sparkplug to put in as a replacement and more importantly.......

What suggestions do you gearheads have about cleaning the carborator.....sprays? replacemet? fine-tuning? so-on!

Thanks again to those of you who have given good suggestions to this point! Also remeber....I am not mechanically inclined in the slightest.....please if at all possible, speak in mechanics language for beginers!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 08/21/05 at 13:34:25

Backfiring is caused primarily by excess lean conditions.

It can be caused by something simple like loose bolts/connections on the carb/filter or on the header pipe/muffler.  Check those connections and gaskets  to be sure that they are tight so air does not get into the system.

After those are determined to be in good shape, then the carb needs to be looked at.  It is the pilot circuit in the carb that causes most, if not all, of the backfiring.

The bike is shipped from the factory with the carb tuned VERY LEAN so it will pass the exhaust emmisions requirements of the government.  Good for the air...not good for the running of the engine.  The pilot circuit needs to be adjusted for proper fuel/air mixture for OPTIMUM running....it needs to be made more rich.  The pilot adjusting screw on the carb has to be turned out (counterclockwise) in order to richen the mixture.  The pilot system is primarily for low speed running but is also a small  factor for midrange and high speed running.  

If you have replaced the stock muffler with an aftermarket muffler then you will likely need to replace the pilot jet with one size larger jet...doing the same with the main jet may also be advantageous.  

You can do all of this in a couple of easy hours.

IP Logged
Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/21/05 at 14:07:42

Lancer,

Thanks for the info......my bike is a 1986 that is completely stock except the new battery.....I just re-read my original post and noticed a slip up when I was typing.

The bike doe NOT have less than 3,500 miles.......
meant to type "less than 13,500 miles".

Since this bike is coming up on 20yrs.....What should I considor doing for a major tune up (everything seems like the logical answer to me)? I got the bike for a steal of a deal....$800 including full-face helment and minor mechanic work/help from the friend I bought it from!

Also, the bike sat for about 2yrs before it was cranked up one week ago! Started right up on first try, then obviously got into some bad gas (maybe carb is gummed up too) and since has had trouble staying running after we get it going! We sprayed high octane spray right on the fuel injector to get it going, put in premium 91 octane fuel and feel as though all of the "bad" gas should be out by now! Runs for a minute tops snd upon really reving it up shuts down as the rpm's come down......

Anything else we should do......anxious to ride!!!!!!! Grin

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #26 - 08/21/05 at 14:15:21

StillSavage, looks like you kicked over a can of worms, don't worry, beside the carb mods, white spacer and main rejet, add a ounce or so of two stroke oil to the tank every fill up. It keeps the slide from sticking in the carb.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/21/05 at 14:45:36

Ed_L,

We'll do....Thanks!

IP Logged
Still Savage
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 08/21/05 at 15:56:38

Any good tips to minor rust removal on the crome?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #29 - 08/21/05 at 16:14:00

i found blue magic to work great i use it on every piece of chrome on the bike it maks it so shiney,also i have 20 inch forged aluminium wheels on my truck and it works just as good on them.i highly recomend it . you can get it at any auto zone,or advance auto.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 20:29:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.