What have I done? (Read 43 times)
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: What have I done?
Reply #45 - 08/06/05 at 12:00:13

OK Gazab, before you start you need a caliper or some other gauge/ruler accurate to 1mm. Remove the float bowel. Next remove the gasket from the float bowel if it is still attached to the carb body. This surface is where you take a measuring point from. Turn the carb upside down. You will notice gravity forces the float downward slightly. Lightly move the float upwards to its highest travel then move it back down to the exact point where the float carrier touches the inlet needle (needle valve). I believe it is spring loaded.This is where you take your  measurment. It is the distance from the gasket surface to the top of the float.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #46 - 08/06/05 at 12:07:16

bentwheel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
OK Gazab, before you start you need a caliper or some other gauge/ruler accurate to 1mm. Remove the float bowel. Next remove the gasket from the float bowel if it is still attached to the carb body. This surface is where you take a measuring point from. Turn the carb upside down. You will notice gravity forces the float downward slightly. Lightly move the float upwards to its highest travel then move it back down to the exact point where the float carrier touches the inlet needle (needle valve). I believe it is spring loaded.This is where you take your  measurment. It is the distance from the gasket surface to the top of the float.

The floats hang by gravity and the needle is attached to the floats with a small wire clip.  Not a spring.  The clip just assures that the floats will pull the needle out of the valve seat (open) when more gas is needed in the bowl.  When the float rises, it closes the needle with a small tab in the float arm.  That small tab is what you bend to set the actual float height.

IP Logged
CHRIS
2005 No Login

FRIENDSVILLE, MARYLAND
Reply #47 - 08/06/05 at 17:07:58

Something from Suzuki: quick and semi-acurrate way to see if float level is close, hook a clear hose to the bowl drain, point the end up, open the drain, fuel should come up to level of float setting. Basically to where the bowl meets the bottom of the carb. This is not the most acurrate, but if you're off by a bit you'll see it there.

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #48 - 08/07/05 at 09:47:17

*******UPDATE*******

Put everything back to stock, except white spacer moved down a notch on needle.

remember uk spec!

130 main jet (still waiting for brass washer)
?     pilot jet (forgot to look  Angry )
stock silencer.

Started up, runs and idles fine  Smiley. A bit of black smoke from exhaust which it as always done.

So where to now?

Fit Jardine slip-on?
Change main jet to ?
Change pilot jet to?

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #49 - 08/07/05 at 12:51:45

When you are tuning for performance, always do one step at a time. This way if there is a miscue you will know the problem right away. After a modification, ride the bike,  look, listen and feel, TAKE NOTES. It sounds like your first change is dropping the clip on the needle. This should  enrichen the low to mid range.  Go for a long ride and check to see if you have made a step forward. Next step, put on the slip on. Test for leaks, take your time here and get it sealed so you know this is not a problem later on. You can expect your jetting will become lean. Ride it and see if this is so. Make notes and do a plug chop. If you are lean as you might expect go one size up on the main jet and do another test, take notes. Keep rejetting as required. Later on you can fine tune your jetting by moving the clip up or down on your needle. Also when experimenting with the pilot jet and air screw do it in single steps and of course, take notes and the same thing if modifying your intake/filter.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #50 - 08/09/05 at 01:07:01

managed to order the main jet washer and 2 main jets, 132.5 and 135..just waiting now..will let you all know of progress OR ask for help again.. Smiley

dealers in this country do not seem too interested if you're not spending hundreds of pounds  Angry

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #51 - 08/16/05 at 05:00:31

Main jet washer arrived...no main jets though (trying another dealer now)
Fitted the washer and took bike for a run....no problems..130 main, stock muffler.
Fitted jardine, still 130 main and took for a nother run..
definately lacking mid range..also smoke coming from air filter, what does that mean?
Anyway back to stock until I get new jets.

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #52 - 08/16/05 at 05:15:14

when that needle jet tube lifts up it can suck quite a lot of gas into the engine. your oil seem ok or does it smell like gas or is there to much? The head breather tube goes into the air box, I'd expect this to be the source of the smoke - you can pull it off the air box and start it to see if it's puffing smoke - but don't ride like that or you'll be sucking dirt into the engine. was the engine just getting real hot from being real lean ?

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #53 - 08/16/05 at 05:28:20

oil doesn't smell of gas, but there is a little too much in..nearly at top of site glass.
It could of been o/heating I supose as I let it idle a long time.

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #54 - 08/16/05 at 06:00:43

Is the little too much oil a new thing or when you changed it last you got a little to much in there?

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #55 - 08/16/05 at 06:07:15

Not too sure about that. changed the oil about 4 weeks ago at work on nights (semi-darkness) and haven't cheked the level since.
I shall drain some off and keep my eye on it.
Are you thinking it my be fuel in there?

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #56 - 08/16/05 at 06:08:14

Yeah, I think the important question here is: Do you think you overfilled it or is it possible that fuel has backed into the engine and mixed with oil.  If the latter is even possible in your mind, it'd be worth the few clams and 20 minutes to drain it and change the oil and filter - just to be sure.  At least that's how I'd see it if it were my bike.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #57 - 08/16/05 at 06:11:36

gazab44 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Not too sure about that. changed the oil about 4 weeks ago at work on nights (semi-darkness) and haven't cheked the level since.
I shall drain some off and keep my eye on it.
Are you thinking it my be fuel in there?

Maybe - just another phobia of mine - clean oil is just so easy to do - you could even skip the fliter this go round.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #58 - 08/16/05 at 06:19:00

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
...you could even skip the fliter this go round.

True.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #59 - 08/17/05 at 03:20:54

JET NEEDLE PLATE= dimple up? or dimple down?

Dimple down exposes both holes fully

Dimple up only half exposes holes.

I think dimple down so that both holes are fully exposed

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:20:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What have I done?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.