gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
What have I done?
08/04/05 at 09:13:06

Hi all

i've just fitted a jardine slip-on and also at the same time changed the main jet from 130 to 150.
Started the bike up no problem and it sounded great. Grin
So i donned my helmet and shades  8) and took it for a spin.....all went well for about 2 miles, noticed improvement mid range...but then it gave out half a dozen or so massive farts and died on me. :'(
After about 5 mins i got it started and managed to splutter home.
After retrieving my helmet, which i had right footed down the street, tried to start it again but no joy...battery getting flat now  Angry  
Took plug out and it was black and sooted.
"Maybe too much of an increase from 130 to 150" i thought , so i changed the plug and put the 130 main jet back in....pressed the button and away she went.
SO i decided to don my cool shades and now scratched helmet and try it again...this time i only managed to get to the end of the street before it died...pushed her home and sulked.
After getting over my tantrum, with the aid of a couple of bottles, decided to try again...

.........STATE OF PLAY AT THE MOMENT.......
130 main jet back in
jardine slip-on still fitted
it starts first press and idles but as soon as i blip the throttle it stops..and eventually after keep trying battery low
Going to leave battery on low charge overnight and try again tomorrow.
thought some of you might have some ideas to help.

could i have damaged something changing the jet?

could the jump from a 130 to 150 be too big without doing something else?

it wouldn't be the muffler would it?

please help....i now it may also not even be connected to the mods but it ran fine before i made them.

thanks
gaz

MSN Messenger :- gazab44@hotmail.com

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
WWW msn-gazab44@hotmail.com   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: What have I done?
Reply #1 - 08/04/05 at 09:50:51

Okay, you opened up the exhaust and added fuel. Maybe try opening up the intake a bit... different air filter or open the airbox at least temporarily for test purposes.  Also, make sure you don't have exhaust leaks, especially at the header, as they can cause some wicked backfiring.

Disclaimer:  I am an amateur in the process of learning so please take any suggestions I have as just that - suggestions.  I am most certainly not a pro.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 08/04/05 at 09:59:48

Were you at wide open throttle? If not, you may also want to consider upping your pilot jet.  However, backfires usually indicate a rich condition...

check out these jetting sites, too:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbtune,CV,lower_rpm_engines.html

http://jimrace.com/faq/CVK40.html

http://www.mikuni.com/c-tuning_guide.html

Good luck,

KS

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #3 - 08/04/05 at 10:57:51

got no exhaust leaks

thottle not wide open now when it cuts out...just a little blip from idle.

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
mikedasavage
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/04/05 at 11:43:31

if your plug is charred and wet, you got too much fuel going into your bike that happened to me when i first put the amal on. Like i said in a previous post i hooked up the fuel lines before connecting the throttle cable so while connecting the throttle cable i was pooring gas in. Couldn't figure out what i had done wrong till i changed the plug. started right up after that . no problems since. just haven't had a chance to fine tune yet.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #5 - 08/04/05 at 11:51:55

Did I read correctly that switching  back to the 130 jets (in between trials with 150 jets) caused everything to work again no problems? Then retrying the 150 jets caused similar problems? Have you looked at the spark plugs again after second time with the 150 jets? Did you check the spark plug before the second trial if so was it OK then?

What I'm trying to determine is if it runs fine with the 130 jets and then doesn't run with only change being to 150 jet? In which case it seems like the problem would be in the jets. Are they open? Are the 150's more open than they should be - are they new from the manufacturer or is it possible someone has done some modification (drilled out) to the jets? Have you other 150 jets to try?

Just a couple of questions to maybe figure out the problem or at least isolate it.

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #6 - 08/04/05 at 12:14:39

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Did I read correctly that switching  back to the 130 jets (in between trials with 150 jets) caused everything to work again no problems? Then retrying the 150 jets caused similar problems? Have you looked at the spark plugs again after second time with the 150 jets? Did you check the spark plug before the second trial if so was it OK then?

sorry,
didn't make it clear in "state of play at the moment" ending to my post
the 130 jet is back in...it ran fine before mods.

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Lee Pierce

Reply #7 - 08/04/05 at 12:29:20

Just a shot in the dark, but did you maybe accidentally alter the float level when you installed the main jet?  

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 08/04/05 at 12:45:28

Hmmm, a stuck float could flood it easily.  Definitiely worth taking a peek at.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/04/05 at 13:16:27

If you have the AMal on the bike, you definitely want to stay with the stock main jet, which is  a #300 on the 36mm carb and a #320 on the 38mm carb.  Anything larger than that will make the fuel/air mixture very rich.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 08/04/05 at 16:10:31

Just a thought, did you forget to install the small brass washer that goes between the main jet and carb? Luck with the carb.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #11 - 08/05/05 at 00:15:40

Lancer i have a mikuni carb.

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Just a thought, did you forget to install the small brass washer that goes between the main jet and carb? Luck with the carb.

Ed, what brass washer?..all i have is this and the original looks the same. If i am missing a washer what effect would it have?

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/05/05 at 00:38:03

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

Good call.  There is definatly a washer.  Think I even remember reading in the Clymer manuel of the problems you describe.  But you said it works fine with the old jet.  Does the old jet have the washer still on it?

IP Logged
gazab44
2004 No Login

TO OLD TO DIE
YOUNG....

uk
Reply #13 - 08/05/05 at 00:42:22

It used to work fine but it doesn't now, Sad and there isn't a washer on the old jet  either

VISIT MY MY HOMEPAGE
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #14 - 08/05/05 at 03:27:04

Just a thought, have You done the white spacer mod ?

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:34:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What have I done?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.