Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
New toy, any advice?
08/17/05 at 20:50:06

1983 Yamaha XT550. Dual exhaust port 558cc thumper, in a dual sport frame. Seems to need some electrical tinkering. Couldn't beat the price (free, with title). Has California emissions, CDI system, 12 volt lighting,  a kickstarter, rear mono-shock, magnesium cases and air forks.

Anyone here have/had one or know someone in FSSNOC that does? I want to resurrect it, seems like a comfortable bike. Easy kick over. Nice compression. Oil in frame like an old BSA, and has a dipstick instead of a sight glass.

First of hopefully many free bikes. Going to use it to teach some of my Scouts basic mechanicing skills. Probably donate it to a deserving charity auction when it's fixed, I DON'T need a dual sport/dirt bike.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: New toy, any advice?
Reply #1 - 08/17/05 at 21:45:15

Sounds like fun to me.  I do not have any experience with it though, unfortunately.

IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #2 - 08/17/05 at 22:42:04

That's got to be a great project bike! free w/title!! Post some pics. maybe some of us got some misc. parts around you can use to get her going!!! Great idea to teach the scouts about basic cycle maintenance too. It is the right thing to do to pass on the knowledge of the how to's Wink

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 08/18/05 at 08:30:16

Hey WD

If I remember rightly the XT550 has a dual throat carb, one side slide the other cv.
Long forks 21" front, a chop in the making.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 08/18/05 at 08:34:14

Sounds like fun!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 08/18/05 at 19:58:45

It's definitely an interesting bike.  Everything is still available, so, may not be TOO difficult to get going again.  

Clive, you're right, dual throat carb to go with the dual port exhaust. Very strange.

I'm thinking about adding BMW style ammo can bags, a micro fairing and handguards. It has space for a rear rack, or buddy seat, or top trunk. Do those up whit to match the tank, and paint the frame red to match the firefighter sticker on the tank top. I used to be a wildland firefighter, so, don't need to peel the sticker.  Cheesy

Definitely the most unusual bike I've ever owned. Checked the web this morning, and USA prices are $900-2000, UK prices in the 1200-1900 pound sterling range. I almost feel bad about getting it for free. Almost.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
dannimal
2005 No Login

Chicago IL (S/W Suburbs)
Reply #6 - 08/18/05 at 23:08:14

One man's trash is another man's treasure as the old saying goes! Grin

-95 black savage- Supertrapp exhaust- K&N filter- custom mirrors & grips- Metzler 880's
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #7 - 08/19/05 at 19:33:38

WD I belong to FSSMOC and have many old issues of the quaterly publication. As  remember the have some folks who are also riders of you new bike, let me know directly if you want to review the back issues and find some najmes and addresses for you. Also there are a couple "thumper sites" if you use goggle.  Thumperpage.com is one and I think thumper page forums is another new version of that one. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
GaThumper

Powder Springs, GA USA
Reply #8 - 08/19/05 at 20:42:36

http://www.thumpertalk.com/  is a popular forum.  You might find some good info there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 02:31:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New toy, any advice?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.